What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps we should take a break from all the higher theories of the Universe for now.

Its years since I battled away with Maxwell's equations, but something entirely surprising comes out of them.

You don't often encounter Relativity in normal life, except that magnetism is entirely a result of relativity.

It is caused by moving electrons in the wire being foreshortened by relativity. Not many people know that.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
So how does this explain the phenomenon where by which a continual flow of virtual photons complete a cycle through a horseshoe shaped ferrite metal bar with another straight shorting bar across the ends held there magnetically but perpetually until the shorting bar is forced off, being that neither of which are permanent magnets?

Last edited:
When dealing with electric and magnetic forces, even the infinitesimally small length contraction of the electrons at these drift speeds leads to relativistic effects.

The length contraction leads to a minute change in charge density which has an appreciable relativistic effect when we consider that the total charge of all the conduction electrons in a metre long wire is tens of thousands of coulombs.

My computer is restored by a new power supply, so can give you a link if you doubt that Maxwell's 4 Equations can't be reduced to one:

Mathematical descriptions of the electromagnetic field - Wikipedia

Uses slightly abstract current density J and Force F one formulation. Just a change of variables really. :cool:

I just looked up my College Undegraduate Physics courses to see if I know anything about this.

M211 Vector Algebra 1/4 unit
PH253 Electromagnetism, Optics and Spectroscopy 1/2 unit
PH327 Communication Electronics and Magnetic Resonance 1/2 unit
PH247 Second Year Physical Laboratory 1/4 unit

Always liked the old electricity. It's very powerful stuff, just you don't usually notice because it's mostly balanced out. Nothing gave me more entertainment than Million Volt sparks. You could punch holes in cardboard with the 4" sparks. The distinct smell of Ozone like Lightning storms..

Just keep the little fingers away. One of our lecturers had lost all his hair after a severe electric shock.

Should have been more careful, IMO. It can be a bit SUDDEN! And it's a bit unpredictable where it is going to go. The trick is to guess the Earth path. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.