What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does that remind me of Panspermia? :scratch2:

Attachments

• Panspermia.jpg
    Panspermia.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 104
Oh Lor, that multiplication thing is a nightmare!

I didn't understand any of the papers. It's not that simple method in the Quanta article.

To multiply two numbers, you write them as polynomials and multiply them in some way into a bigger polynomial.

So, say, famous Heegner Number 163 is written as x^2 + 6x + 3 and do the maths. x will be 10 here, you follow? But it's more complicated than that when you convert to a fast fourier transform.

But apparently it shows its benefits at numbers of an extremely familiar size:

The n(logn) bound means Harvey and van der Hoeven's algorithm is faster than Schönhage and Strassen's algorithm, or Fürer's algorithm, or any other known multiplication algorithm, provided n is sufficiently large. For now, "sufficiently large" means almost unfathomably large: Harvey and van der Hoeven's algorithm doesn't even kick in until the number of bits in the two numbers being multiplied is greater than 2 raised to the 1729^12 power. (By comparison, the number of particles in the observable Universe is commonly put at about 2^270.)

Harvey and van der Hoeven made no efforts to optimize their algorithm. This was partly because they were focused on the theoretical advance, and partly because they were tickled when their back-of-the-envelope calculations led them to the number 1729, which, in a famous anecdote, the mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan called a "very interesting" number (because it is the smallest number that can be written as a sum of two cubes in two different ways). "When I saw this, I burst out laughing," Harvey recalled.

Multiplication Hits the Speed Limit | January 2020 | Communications of the ACM

So the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything is 1729!

I love being right. :D

Last edited:
So the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything is 1729!
Coincidently, the Comet of 1729 was discovered by professor of mathematics, Father Nicolas Sarrabat. This was a most unusual comet, potentially the largest ever seen, but unfortunately not a spectacular object in the night sky.

CometBase. C/1729 P1 (Sarabat) - unlucky comet of the millennium

It is unknown if this comet will return in a hundred thousand years or be ejected out of the Solar System.

The Comet of 1729 is also known as Sarabat's Comet. The misspelling of it's discoverer's name was down to Cassini who wrote the official designation.

Attachments

• 1729.gif
    1729.gif
    10 KB · Views: 117
I wouldn't read too much into years. Fairly arbitrary.

Ramanujan was one of the most significant mathematicians of recent times. IMO.

Hardy immediately recognised his ability. The j-invariant (1728) was particularly Ramanujan. He was tryng to solve Fermat. Missed by one.

j-invariant - Wikipedia

Everything I love in Maths. The Monster Group. Fermat's Last theorem. The taxicab number (1729). The Riemann hypothesis.

Ah well. Keeps me entertained. :D

Attachments

• Futurama 1729.jpg
    Futurama 1729.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 98
MartyMG, You test me greatly:

Brane-World Gravity | SpringerLink

Ed Witten's M-Theory is as mad as box of frogs, IMO. I have a vague idea about Conformal Field Theory, the LHIC fireball and the AdS/CFT correspondence:

AdS/CFT correspondence - Wikipedia

Thing is. Going too deeply into the abstract can drive you nuts. Anecdotally, Einstein couldn't even remember where he lived. :eek:

Attachments

• Orrery Cafe, Ryde High Steet, IOW.PNG
    Orrery Cafe, Ryde High Steet, IOW.PNG
    449 KB · Views: 89
I too am big fan of Leonard Susskind's Stanford lectures on YouTube. The ER = EPR conjecture suggesting that our space-time is emergent from entanglement is especially interesting given the limitations of my intellect and education. All the brane world anti desitter stuff with our universe being a 3d + brane sitting in higher dimensions and gravity leaking into the bulk are best contemplated after some lovely wine! All the best chaps, I'll go back to lurking now.

No MartyMG, that is an interesting article. Just that I am very wary of M-Theory. And I sat through Susskind's Stanford lectures too. More standard Model myself.

FWIW, it was the RHIC Fireball with adS/CFT. A typo by me.

Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider - Wikipedia

It does seem that we need 4 spatial dimensions to explain what we are seeing. But commonsense says we have 3. I just don't know if I want to go there.

It's like the old flat Earth map of the World. When you reached the edge, the map advised you that beyond here be Dragons. :eek:

Last edited:
I didn't understand a word of that oldish article on M-Theory. No idea what a "brane" is, :confused:

I found some newer stuff that at least hints how quantum gravity might work.

What Is Quantum Gravity? | Space

And a bit of AdS/CFT hologram stuff to follow:

Are We Living in a Hologram? | Space

It's interesting that the surface area of a Black Hole grows by one planck area for every bit of information it absorbs. Which is where the hologram idea comes in. It's like the information is on the surface, not in the volume.

I used to make Ruby Laser holograms on photographic glass plates in the Physics Lab. Got quite good at them. It's a sort of 3D photography. You find them on credit cards and software cartons these days.

Last edited:
That was very funny. It's quite amusing to type "String Theory Cartoon" into Google.

I liked the one where the "String Theory Research Lab" pictures a cat playing with a ball of wool. :)

Or string theory ties up a lot of loose ends. :)

I always remember this one too:

xkcd: 3D

Utterly incomprehensible subject. Everybody is baffled by it. :D

Nature likes simplicity and elegance all right.

Representation and understanding require structure. Matter has content but no structure. Representation has structure but no content. A structureless entity cannot reasonably have order. Nature has no laws, theories have laws. Nature hates numbers, mathematicians are deeply in love with numbers, some of them are beautiful, some of them are ugly, but all of them are senseless when applied to Nature.

Physical quantities are not fundamental constants of Nature, but logical constants of Mathematics. The extensive usage of constants is definitely no random coincidence, the logic of mathematics can only handle constants.

Constants are very user friendly, they don`t change under any circumstances. The dependent variables on the left hand side are expressed in terms of independent variables on the right. Of course, also the variables are constants. All terms placed on one side, the quantities equal zero, establishing an unphysical standoff. Now, how in the hell can such a system describe behavior or make predictions?

Time is constant, speed is constant, relativity is constant and Einstein is constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.