What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps.
Videos are not exactly my "thing", more like a necessary evil.

I kind of like slow and un-edited videos sometimes, on most videos there's a lot changing between different angles and focus on various bits and people constantly. Heavily edited videos can look very nice, but I think it somehow detracts from the overall experience somehow.

I'm happy if I can keep myself away from the lens focus :D

Edit:
The visualization plugins used in the videos is something I wrote for the classic AVS in winamp before 2005 sometime.
Love those classic oscilloscopes.

Last edited:
The European Space Agency (ESA) has scaled down its science mission operations in light of the pandemic.

One of the affected missions is the recently launched Solar Orbiter. ESA - Solar Orbiter

Commissioning and first check-out operations of scientific instruments which had begun last month, have been temporarily suspended.

Meanwhile, Solar Orbiter will continue its journey towards the Sun, with the first Venus fly-by to take place in December.

I'm looking forward to BBC4's 'The Sky At Night' programme tonight which will examine how ESA's Solar Orbiter was built.

Attachments

• ESA Solar Orbiter.jpg
    ESA Solar Orbiter.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 88
Joined 2009
Paid Member
So the connection to your statement of the photon and magnetic flux being virtual photons moving in a spiral brought this to mind.
An interesting parallel to this is the fact that the DNA double helix backbone ladder sides move in opposite directions to each other. Has Edward's observation of the double spiral movement of magnetic flux in opposing directions been verified?

Europe's Cheops telescope, launched last December, has just begun its search for distant exoplanets.

The Swiss-led telescope will watch for the tiny changes in light when an exoplanet passes in front of its host star.

The exoplanet 55 Cancri-e is one of the many super-Earth planets Cheops will study.

Such observations promise to add the missing bits to our theory of planet formation.

Attachments

• Lava World 55 Cancri-e.jpg
    Lava World 55 Cancri-e.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 163
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think the Universe's expansion correlates to our cognizance.
So spooky action at a distance coincidentally modeled itself while we watched in real time during an episode of Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of. It was a demonstration of an electrical pulse repeatedly shot into a person's arm while half way around the world a probe in a cup with a sample of his blood plasma simultaneously and repeatedly registered a reading on a vu meter. They showed it happening on split screen. I tried to track the episode down on the net years ago and found it on a list of the entire series. It was the only episode whose video recording was "not available".

'

Last edited:
I just love the Hubble Space telescope. A modern wonder!

But a serious note here, my friends. We have just lost one of the greatest mathematicians of the C21.

John Horton Conway. :(

This is the man who practically discovered Monstrous Moonshine.

I have no idea what Edward Witten is talking about in 26-dimensional string theory, but am sure it is based on E8 Leech lattice symmetry. Which brings us back to John Conway.

Interestingly, you get a taste of this stuff in Ramanujan's Taxicab Number of 1729.

j-invariant - Wikipedia

Or my own personal mathematical hero, Leonhard Euler: Leonhard Euler - Wikipedia

Euler not only gave us the Zeta function, but the Beta and Gamma function too. Respect. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.