what is the point of expensive coaxials with ragged response?

It can be done. In fact it had been done many, many moons ago:
https://www.bluemoonhouse-sophos.com/tannoy-buckingham-professional-monitor/
That's a cool one

On Saturday I wend to our local reuse centre to see if I could find any large woofers. We have been having very bad weather for a while now so donations have been low and couldn't find anything useful to mock up my idea. Plenty of subs but no actual woofers

Do we need yet another thread to discussion solutions?

krivium I can cause I know. Only I thought "anyones guitars with a 1/4" jack" meant electrics too.
You also know that I know semi-acoustics shouldn't go thru a fender amp but belong in a di box or a mixer.
You know that I wasn't talking about bass-guitars. So I don't know why you are spewing about those too? To waste peoples time? Get to the point!
You think too much compression is only bad for acoustic instruments. -That makes me wonder if you know anything about anything except writing walls of useless text about nothing really.
Please stop.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@Guerilla : LOL.

You are right, I will get to the point: the kind of definitive sentence like 'electric guitar should be used that way', ' semi acoustic this way', 'compression suck', 'good music'... makes me laugh.

Creativity and being open minded about what musicians wants or do is the main lesson i got from the last 25years as a pro technician/studio engineer.

So yes i happily admit i know nothing about all this and still learn every times i'm hired.

It doesn't seems to be your case, how lucky you are to live in a world of certainties, it must be very confortable. In a way i'm jealous.

Randy,
Yes i think it would be better to open a dedicated thread.

Reactions: 4 users
The final thing seems to measure flat, I wonder if they are DSPing the hell out of it because the raw coax C18EN002/A sure isn't, the tweeter has a wacky response. Maybe that's the key, I read similar comments for a LaVoce PA coax.
They did, which then made the drivers once smooth off axis a bit wavy. But again, modestly so given the 2db scaling. That's also with the wide flat baffle/square edge of the KingRO4Y. Might be a bit smoother with a narrower/shaped edge baffle. Not going to get KEF/Genelec smooth, but in real rooms, that degree of off axis "error" might be ok at ears, depending on acoustics/distance etc. I'd like to hear a KingRO4Y at some point. Doubt KEF or Genelec will be offering any drivers soon ;-).

Well in that case, would LXmini be considered quasi-coaxial?
Coaxial means a certain geometrical condition, which yours does not meet, sorry.

Co-axial means shared or coincident axis, yours are not like that.

Coaxials are one special case of "2 way", the reverse does not hold true.
A rose is a flower but not all flowers are roses.
Not even quasi-roses 😄

That said, interesting design, bet they sound good. 👍🏻

Last edited:
@krivium Lol lol. Im sorry and Im ashamed to admit my long distance murder attempt made me feel good for a long time. That's not nice at all.
I have only been wannabe technician for ~35 years, but that has been alongside being full time selfproclamed HiFi expert since i read my first issue of Audiovisen in 1984 or so, so I feel my endless pro-advises should have earned me the right to something. Again Im sorry, but I only came here to learn about coaxials ( of which ive seen hundreds in all kinds of automotive vehicles btw) -How could I have known I should read the comp... word here?

Oh. I worked in Norways National Broardcast concert halls studio for a longer period. But that was as a carpenter. They had Pioneer coaxials in boxes spread all around the back rows of the seatings. Chosen for being excellent neutral speakers?/drivers?
Im proud to announce that I for once ended up being somewhat on topic.😇
Please continue folks.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@krivium Lol lol. Im sorry and Im ashamed to admit my long distance murder attempt made me feel good for a long time. That's not nice at all.
I have only been wannabe technician for ~35 years, but that has been alongside being full time selfproclamed HiFi expert since i read my first issue of Audiovisen in 1984 or so, so I feel my endless pro-advises should have earned me the right to something. Again Im sorry, but I only came here to learn about coaxials ( of which ive seen hundreds in all kinds of automotive vehicles btw) -How could I have known I should read the comp... word here?

That's fine with me and you are totally welcome to give an opinion on anything without badge of honor or earned rights. But be ready to be challenged, that's were we learn things, can exchange pov, share things... off topic is not such an issue if we learn things imho ( anyway if it goes through the borderline moderators kick in! ).

One thing about guitars and being creative ( i secretly hoped my first answer to you would trigger a discussion about it ;) )... i suppose you know The Beatles and have already heard 'Revolution'? Peculiar guitar sound isn't it?

Straight into the EMI console ( REDD.51) and routed through another chanel as one only didn't get enough rough fuzz/distortion.

I suppose it was their own way to induce revolution into Abbey Road where nerd in white blouse imposed recording technique to be used until that time.

Technicaly speaking it is very wrong but it's the sound which they were after for the fast version of the song.

Of course they were monitored through Tannoy at Abbey Road sessions and Altec 604 at Trident ( or the inverse i can't remember...) where some sessions were performed too... we are back to coax! ;)

Last edited: