What is the most used, most popular good tweeter ever? DIY or mass market and why?

Nice try ;) You'll find that into a predetermined gap, and coil length there is a fixed bulk space, and the wire gauge will depend on the needed resistance.

And then why is it (was it ?) So commonly used in midwoofers and twoofers? JBL and EV used flat cable in the 70's and had high BLs. With the same intensity of magnetic flux of the magnet, the more turns you can group in a given space, the more performance you will get.
And that is achieved by a flat cable. (square section actually).
The only thing I can imagine (assuming no more wires are made of that topology, I am not up to date) is that the rare earth alloys make up for the problem as they offer higher magnetic power for a similar size (measured in Gauss)

Assuming that the dimensions of the wire (the diameter of the round wire vs. the width of the square wire) are the same, in the same space you have the same number of turns, but better performance.
That says here.

Voice Coils: A Tutorial | audioXpress

" Round vs. Flat Wire — Round wire is most commonly used in voice coils. In high-performance speakers, wire that has been flattened and wound-on-edge is sometimes used. Benefits include greater wire density in the gap, and a single layer of flat wire has less inductance than two or more layers of round wire. "

In the 1990's, I recall seeing a lot of Seas H398 and H400 Aluminum/magnesium dome tweeters on a lot of mid-priced and higher priced speakers.

The Vifa D25AG series of aluminum domes was also used a lot.

On higher priced speakers, the Dynaudio D28AF was used a lot. So was the Focal inverted fiberglass domes (though I never understood the attraction there).

Yes very good call there. All very worthy of a mention.

Were those Seas the ones used in older epos speakers by any chance in the es range, Robin Marshall designed?

And yes the Focal was used a lot, still is actually. Its seen in quite a few designs even now, or a type of it is. And I agree it does have a very wide devide. Some think its the best thing ever invented others can't stand it, but that is often the case for Focal speakers in general to some.

The Peerless DT115 / K010DT was seen almost everywhere in the 80's

Attachments

• Peerless DT.png
    Peerless DT.png
    395.8 KB · Views: 283
Were those Seas the ones used in older epos speakers by any chance in the es range, Robin Marshall designed?

That is my recollection, yes. After I first saw them in the Epos lineup, I started seeing those same tweeters in a number of the small-production boutique speakers.

When Dynaudio became more selective about who they sold tweeters to, the Scanspeak D2905 really gained in popularity.

That peerless K010DT was used in early Polk speakers, and in a lot of others...

Last edited:
That is my recollection, yes. After I first saw them in the Epos lineup, I started seeing those same tweeters in a number of the small-production boutique speakers.

When Dynaudio became more selective about who they sold tweeters to, the Scanspeak D2905 really gained in popularity.

That peerless K010DT was used in early Polk speakers, and in a lot of others...

The D2905 still is gaining popularity and praise constantly, its now many peoples choice of tweeter in high end designs and diy. I haven't heard much of it although I have heard models with it in, it's never stood out to me as special, but to be fair I haven't spent much time with it. I have with the D2010 though, I quite like that one although it does divide people but I think it blends some qualities of metal domes, as in sparkle and atmosphere but still sound reserved and smoother like silk domes do, very generally speaking that is :)

Those if I'm correct appeared in Tandberg Studio monitors as well, with the largest one using 4, 2 in each speaker. Those were actually one of the only studio monitors I thought sounded exceptional with music reproduction and enjoyment as well. An absolutely beautiful sounding speaker. I don't say that often about studio monitors, but there are many good ones for music enjoyment as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But as has been said those tweeters have been seen a lot in many speakers.