What is the best full-range driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My opinion:

FR gives more coherent «faithful» reproduction because it is seamless. Also the lack of filter components gives more transparency. however, you will have to sacrifice frequency response accuracy, among other things. Personnally and philosophically, i see multi-way as an artificial way to correct a wideband from their limitations. So, if you can find the right one (FR) for you, with best compromises, it has chance of being more pleasing in the end.

One popular «in between» is the woofer assisted wideband. (right now i m running rs225+ 10f/8424)

Personnally, if you asked me what i would buy as a fullrange today i would say 10f/8424 because:

1- i simply have not tried them all!
2-it has just the power capacity i need, and i can double them if needed.
3- it has the less drawbacks sound-wise of any driver i have tried, according to my tastes.
4-very revealing yet not fatiguing
5-not too cheap nor too expensive

Last edited:
:D

if i may:

the 10f especially needs some breaking in. with the high pass cap, at first, they sounded very dull. then i ran them fullrange and liked them more as is, and they got quite a bit better with time, with better detail and bass depth. So much that i worried about over excursion even at low power.

now recently i tried them again with the rs-225 as support and they are much better than the first experience. Now i'm thinking whether i should return to fullrange operation, which i liked quite a bit, or just upgrade the capacitors.

also, note that the Dayton need some «power».... they sounded a bit restrained with my pass f4, though very «musical». Some think it lacks bass output....it may be true depending on source quality, room, expectations...so there is always the option to port....

:D

if i may:

the 10f especially needs some breaking in. with the high pass cap, at first, they sounded very dull. then i ran them fullrange and liked them more as is, and they got quite a bit better with time, with better detail and bass depth. So much that i worried about over excursion even at low power.

now recently i tried them again with the rs-225 as support and they are much better than the first experience. Now i'm thinking whether i should return to fullrange operation, which i liked quite a bit, or just upgrade the capacitors.

also, note that the Dayton need some «power».... they sounded a bit restrained with my pass f4, though very «musical». Some think it lacks bass output....it may be true depending on source quality, room, expectations...so there is always the option to port....

May I ask at what crossover point did you high pass the 10F's?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sonido makes some great full range drivers. I got these Sonido BIB
They really rock.

Then I have Lowther DX2 in Hedlund horns in another room. Very sensitive and detailed, however for perfect bass, they would need better placement or larger room, so I use them with a subwoofer. The funny thing is, that they measure very flat inside the room, no shouty rising response.

Edit: I forgot to mention the 3FE22s in these: My 34c9 (omnidirectional full range with 3FE22) build Currently being rebuilt with 3D printed base and the tubes polished. These definitely need a subwoofer for louder listening, but the "3D" effect is really worth trying out. And I am awaiting another batch for Synergy horn with AMT.

Last edited:
Listening to rullit silver lab 8 field coils in quarter wave designed for Lii audio crystal 10. I built Oleg Rullit's open back box and took them to a friend to build the power supply. I decided it was easier to make adaptor rings to mount them in my quarter waves than take the quarter waves out of the room. Sounding very good indeed. Excellent top end better than crystal 10, early days yet so expect better bass although it's very natural sounding and deep when it should be. Silver lab is Olegs calling card and introduction to the aero 8 and more. I can't see me spending €5000- €8000 on drivers but considering feastrex and others they would be a bargain by comparison.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Maybe i am over-dramatizing a little.....otherwise these speakers sound very good....for the money anyway ;)

If you get a chance, try the 10F and RS225 combo in a TL. It is near perfection. One of the best speakers I have heard anywhere and at any price. The TL opens up the RS225 and makes it a different experience altogether. Less distortion and more realistic dynamics in the mid bass. Deep deep bass extension that is dry and tight. Wonderful.

826339d1584679921-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-rs225-tl-0-75inply-v2-jpg

838913d1588149174-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-10f-rs225-fast-tl-build-04-jpg

Use at least a 50w and preferably, a 100w amp for best results.

May I ask at what crossover point did you high pass the 10F's?

it's «xrk971» 's design, look for the thread.... there is more detail there... 1st order passive around 500 hz theoritical, 800hz acoustically if i remember.

very nice sounding as is, if you can let them burn in a bit and have a good amp. Amp psu makes a difference too. i have a sligthly modified sigma22 PSU and the drive is better than passive capacitor bank and the tone + detail remains superb.

Last edited:
pidesd,

If you want a smaller version TL made for a FR driver, look at the TABAQ.
Small footprint, sounds way bigger than it should.
Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be a sim for that driver.

I'll look into it.

Yes i may build a tabaq for them (10f/8424) i see how it compares to the bass reflex i built. with burn in it has «OK» bass, and as fullrange, it sounds VERY good to me if not pushed too loud. I'm not particularly into vocals, but voices specifically sound best an clear as i have ever heard, maybe along with tc9fd (they have the same cone shape). So for movies or even only for utilitary long monologues/speeches of great clarity, i would recommend anyone to try it out :)

also i would say where it distinguishes itself from other drivers/small fullranges, IMO, is the low midrange resolution....even bass is surprisingly «fast», though not deep... if only it could reproduce metallic percussion a little better, it would have made me even happier, but it's not bad as is either and it's terrific bang for buck all in all if you ask me ;)

all in all, really a high fidelity balanced/neutral driver if you ask me.

Last edited:
If you get a chance, try the 10F and RS225 combo in a TL. It is near perfection. One of the best speakers I have heard anywhere and at any price. The TL opens up the RS225 and makes it a different experience altogether. Less distortion and more realistic dynamics in the mid bass. Deep deep bass extension that is dry and tight. Wonderful.

If i get the space and time i will definitely try it out in the future. i like the versatility of the small closed box in my little room as of now and it's pumping very decent bass for me as is....

maybe i'll go bass reflex first as it's smaller

thanks for the suggestion! i believe all you say about the sound :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.