What is blameless, really?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@spaceistheplace:

Why not sit down and design a modular amplifier system which covers 99% of the use cases? Should not be too difficult... DIY is about getting your own hands dirty.

Dont underestimate project management and documentation. Put a nice looking webpage online, write manuals...

Wait, you are in Proxima Centauri, you have to earth yourself first :)

Yes it's been an interesting project but it's also has been an eye opener for me.

- A project is nothing with good documentation. I've yet to write it down for the lm3886 and it makes more appreciative of lenghty write up such as this one (time is hard to come by these weeks).

- A building block is nothing without the whole. Case in point, wiring makes or breaks an amp just as much (or maybe more) than the pcb and the circuit on it. This overall view might be the hardest thing for a newbie.

I kind of dream of putting together a box that would be conceived to be modular from the start, in which modules could be changed without much risk or hassles. For a simple integrated amp, that would quite easy, basing it on the 400mm deep galaxy 19" with heatsinks.

I appreciate your effort. I think we are of a similar mind and I share your desire for Open Source and community driven projects.

I’ve been working on a code base for arduino revolving around a display which could be reconfigured to handle a wide variety of potential use cases....

Various I/O configurations (perhaps multichannel support, or level matching ab testing routines) Various attenuation methods (ladder, PGA2311) Temperature monitoring Gain / buffer stages and even gain adjustment Start up delay High quality OLED screen support Remote learning functions Extensive menu and configuration options Even perhaps the possibility to accept a phono or Dac module and extend the configuration and remote options

You can then compile based on your build with these option sets. Similar to the Maya concept but more modular, less restricted. You can pull out a piece; replace it with another and recompile your code.

I wanted something to release into the wild as open source for everyone’s benefit, but also I have a desire to see it manifest as a fully realized concept.

Most of this stuff disappears after a group buy round or two, gerbers are nowhere to be found and you lose all the hard work of the contributors. Some really great designs are just deep in the mud here.

My goal would be to keep all these useful building blocks from getting lost in the soil layers of diyaudio.

So I’m talking source code, gerbers, assemblydocumentation, testing procedures and learning resources, BOMs, even front and rear panels.

I figured the workload could easily be distributed amongst some interested parties and there’s even a multitude of areas those without an EE background can contribute towards... even something as mundane as organizing documentation in a nice ebook format.

To me this is the true spirit of community but sometimes I think I may be in the minority.

Since I don’t have an EE background, a lot of the practical issues of the modules are lost on me but I’m slowly making my way.

@spaceistheplace:

Why not sit down and design a modular amplifier system which covers 99% of the use cases? Should not be too difficult... DIY is about getting your own hands dirty.

Dont underestimate project management and documentation. Put a nice looking webpage online, write manuals...

I will burn in eternal hellfire for every sin but sloth.

Wait, you are in Proxima Centauri, you have to earth yourself first :)

If there’s a hell below, we’re all gonna go. - Curtis Mayfield

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Why arduino? devils advocate but why not the ubiquitous RPi. (Yes i know a full OS to be a volume control is against nearly ALL my principles). I say that as the WNTL on it is high, despite its limitations. But the £4 entry point if you don't need wifi makes it almost a no-brainer. It could be a perfect core module of a control hub.

And this is how projects fall apart at the first hurdle :D

Why not sit down and design a modular amplifier system which covers 99% of the use cases? Should not be too difficult... DIY is about getting your own hands dirty

I’m glad you brought this up.

99% might be optimistic. Let’s say the most common 80% of builds.

I guess now would be a good time to pose the question:

What “modules” (define a module as a unit which can function and has utility in isolation) would you see as covering the most bases for an “amplifier controller”.

Let’s stay away from stuff designed for more fringe use cases such as Aksa Lender for example.

You can categorize within a larger subset; such as:

Attenuation: (list most sensible and sound options, or variations)
Display:
Remote:
Gain:
I/O:

Etc.

Why arduino? devils advocate but why not the ubiquitous RPi. (Yes i know a full OS to be a volume control is against nearly ALL my principles). I say that as the WNTL on it is high, despite its limitations. But the £4 entry point if you don't need wifi makes it almost a no-brainer. It could be a perfect core module of a control hub.

And this is how projects fall apart at the first hurdle [emoji3]

The simple answer is because I already had it for another project.

Also as you said seemed a bit excessive? The RPi is viable perhaps I haven’t been keeping track of their iterations.

Arduino also has a huge following and with it an existing codebase to work from. It seemed to me the most often implemented solution here in a preamp type configuration so I can analyze how others have used it and why. After all, this is “for the people”.

It could certainly be ported to other architectures if it came to fruition.

Last edited:
As amusing as it is I don't know why you bother. The least useful contribution is your OP as this collective of yours isn't going to fly. For reasons you seem to ignore we are not going to hold hands and sing kumbaya before starting each project.

The whole point of a place like this is its freedom. You start your project, you put it out there and those that want to tag along can do so. If you want to enhance, cheer or carp from the sidelines thats ok too. Like it or not there are no obligations other than to the integrity of the project. The novice is free to sink or swim and those in the know are free to offer a helping hand or not. You seem to be oblivious of the fact that most choose to help even if grudgingly. AFAIK once one clown stands up and says " These are my criteria to be met" or "This is the way it must be" and this is accepted, we are on the road to hell.

You want to be diy's answer to Al-Ghazali, be my guest. Fortunately you won't be anywhere close to being as destructive as he was.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
PI is overkill to control a few relays or a vol chip, but as it can also act as a roon/mpd/LMS endpoint and do DSP onboard as well its future proofed in a way. wifi stack is proven so you can connect and control from your dog.

1000x the silicon you need, but opens up a whole new world

And this is how projects fall apart at the first hurdle :D

The only reason a project gets off the ground is through what might best be described as the sheer bloodymindedness of the originator. This project will use chip A and topology B and thats an end to the matter. If you don't like it, away with you and boil your head. Put it out to consultation and it is dead before it begins. All the succesful projects I can think of i.e. they exist as a finished entity even if no else builds them other than the originator, are presented as fait accompli.

PI is overkill to control a few relays or a vol chip, but as it can also act as a roon/mpd/LMS endpoint and do DSP onboard as well its future proofed in a way. wifi stack is proven so you can connect and control from your dog.

1000x the silicon you need, but opens up a whole new world

That certainly makes sense. I don’t have the opportunity to review in depth now but I will.

Can you speak to the questions above regarding component parts?

PS what about cats?

Last edited:
spaceistheplace said:
That’s simply absurd. I won’t entertain that further.
It would be a serious error of logic to reject an idea simply because it appears to be absurd. Quantum mechanics is absurd; so is special relativity; both are true.

Perhaps read some social science texts for a few years and get back to us?
This may annoy you, but I tend to assume that all fields of study with the word 'science' in the title are not science.

In addition I'm stating that complexity can be accomplished modularly and cooperatively, removing the burden of a wide project scope on a single individual.
I assume that such naivety can only come from someone who has never worked on a truly complex technical problem.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is all about social science. It's fun to step back and watch the same old curmudgeons ignore the breadth of discussion the OP started, but just go narrow in on what they can attack, and reuse all the same great one-liners they have saved up over the years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.