• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

what I need for safe use mercury rectifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dunno if they make them anymore, but I have one here up for grabs :)

Attachments

• 2019-12-29 11-32-52.jpg
    2019-12-29 11-32-52.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 2019-12-29 11-32-42.jpg
    2019-12-29 11-32-42.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 243
Yeah. Mercury is pretty bad stuff.

Some production equipment used (and may still use) mercury diffusion pumps ...a little contamination of the inside of valves pumped with such systems. It would explain the blue glow on some I have.

...valve manufacture to the UK. They will be using turbomolecular pumps and not mercury a

I call BS on this,
I worked in the nuclear particle research industry, Genevac and lots of the other vac pumps used mercury to prevent contamination of the high vac vessels for proton accelerators et al, making very pure vacuum vessels with low gas contamination.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the same stuff at CERN x 100, as the magnet ring is enormous.
We were all warned to take precautions much as you do with active scrap metal (irradiated bits).
As a result of that we buried many 1000s of tons of pure copper magnet segments chopped into short bits with a bandsaw, as they couldn't recycle mildly active Cu into the metal industry.

The mercury diff pumps we just collected into a corner with all the others and sent them in for service.
BIG DEAL!

If you start having raving about dangers of mercury, next thing in line will uranium and radon (which is actually a lot more hazardous in the home and drinking water), then of course St Greta will be telling you she can SEE Co2, claiming at 400 PPM it's the entire thermostadt of planet earth...
(Gret'aest scam of the last 100years!).

If you are worried about MARs then you shouldn't be allowed near high voltages anyhow, because you are clearly completely paranoid and nuts to begin with. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
On Earth, everything is dangerous, crossing the road and even the words that came out from one's mouth! I'm now 76 yrs, don't wear glasses, and have been using from 816 to 866 to DCG4/1000 for years without problem. Don't let those professor scare you off!

Zekk

Rewrite science through the worst kind of 'evidence', personal anecdote? Might as well go back to burning witches.

They're already burning the witches in congress, but wadda_i_know? I'm on the other side of the pond.
We already tried dipping them in ponds to see if they drowned first. (bit of an Irish joke).
First known cases of "water boarding". :D

Btw this is our radon count compared with normal background....
Oh and lets's not forget what all those atmospheric tests did showering the USSR & USA in fallout....

You bothered about MARs now??:eek:

Attachments

• bed_222.jpg
    bed_222.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Trajectories-of-the-radioactive-clouds-related-to-the-most-important-tests-and-location.ppm.png
    Trajectories-of-the-radioactive-clouds-related-to-the-most-important-tests-and-location.ppm.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 130
  • back_gr.jpg
    back_gr.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.