What has been the most detailed driver you have worked with?

One way to be adapted to loudspeakers

Adapt this to loudspeakers

Attachments

• dynamic-range.jpg
    dynamic-range.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 1,084
What do you think about this fellows :

A grup buy interest for Audax PR170Z0 from Audax :

Ist one of the best driver still and worth to ask to Audax a batch of 100 drivers (50 pairs) ? I can drive this as a french if they can plan to send us by thereselves with tracking number shipment!

Neo10 planar is good but just 94 DB in the upper range and XO is 250 hz mini !

But maybe is there a non outdated driver which is still better than this Audax for high effiienty mid-bass ?

I do not have the TSP for this driver though would say the Q is about 0.5 in the box or there abouts. TSP is not needed for anything concerning using as a real driver. Xmax is about 1mm but have not measured that either however, figured this out somehow. It sounds far better than I believe it has any right to and works likewise far better. A nice basket also with lots of mounting. Nominal 8 ohms.

A diy plasma tweeter was uncanny in the high frequency area-- but the ozone was too much !!
In general, the various TAD compression drivers are first class drivers in their frequency ranges when used in PROPER horns.

My Sequerra t1 mk4 ribbon tweeters are VERY detailed and excellent sounding.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
PR 170 zo DISC

What do you think about this fellows :

A grup buy interest for Audax PR170Z0 from Audax :

Ist one of the best driver still and worth to ask to Audax a batch of 100 drivers (50 pairs) ? I can drive this as a french if they can plan to send us by thereselves with tracking number shipment!

Neo10 planar is good but just 94 DB in the upper range and XO is 250 hz mini !

But maybe is there a non outdated driver which is still better than this Audax for high effiienty mid-bass ?

The PR 170zo was a MID RANGE (only) driver, as opposed to a mid bass driver.
The current production PR 170 MO has received some quite nice reviews from users. The PR 170zo was actually better suited to a large mid range horn, but I had never seen anyone use it that way, back in it's production day.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just got my hands on an ESS Oskar Heil AMT. Measures flat from 700Hz to 20kHz. No ringing in impulse response and very fast transiebts. The factory spec say 92dB at 1 watt but I measure 100.5dB at 2.83v. It sounds wonderful and very detailed, open, and revealing. No harshness, no fatigue. One of the best drivers I have heard. Truly special.

Ah yes, there is something a bit special about them. I do wonder if maybe I shouldn't have sold mine. They just need to be treated very carefully with regard to their enclosure and I didn't give them enough room to breathe. They still produced incredible imaging though.

Well, looks like they are back in production again anyhow, can get new models from Madisound which are presumably identical to the originals.

I built a three-way speaker with these, along with the ScanSpeak D2905-9300 and the Audax HM210Z0, fifteen years ago, and have been messing around with these with various crossover configurations ever since, generally improving things a little as I go along. All the same, I have recently decided to cut my losses and go for Troels Gravensen's Classic Three-Way Mk2.

The 4" Audax HDA mid is indeed a very special driver, and has the potential to give a terrifically high definition sound. The Hi-Fi World LS6 design article, which was my original inspiration for the project, described its sound as "electrostatic-like". Its other crucial characteristic is its high sensitivity: 93 dB/1W/1m. This means that, in a three-way system with the usual bandpass filter boost, it is far too sensitive for most combinations of woofer and tweeter - in fact in the end I had to pad it down by 7dB to match mine, which I am convinced negatively affected its sound.

I think this is the Achilles heel of this driver, since if you are going to put the usual inductor in the woofer circuit to compensate for the baffle step, it means that you are going to need a woofer (or probably a pair of them) with effective sensitivity of 96 dB/1W/1m or so to take full advantage of the HM100Z0, and also use a much higher-sensitivity tweeter than most on the market.

As already stated in this thread, another important consideration with the HM100Z0 is its limited power handling and its high-ish Fs (350Hz or so, if I remember correctly), which means it needs a fourth-order filter at its low end at 4-500Hz or so to perform comfortably.

Once I have finished building Troels's design, I might experiment with the HDA mid - perhaps with an active filter setup so I don't need to passively attenuate it so brutally.

Alex

Last edited: