What has been the most detailed driver you have worked with?

Here is a candidate

This guy can deliver detail, dynamics and dynamic range like few others. Just gotta know how to use it!

Attachments

• BM18-15CX38.jpg
    BM18-15CX38.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 719
FWIW this contradicts what Dr. Toole says in sound reproductions and my personal experience with different dispersion characteristics. People's perception of these small drivers being more detailed would also agree with the research, but you are right--many factors come into play here. I thought my 4" metal cones on an OB were extremely detailed, but they also sounded bright on a lot of recordings. On axis was flat, of axis had a big 2-4k bubble(roughly). I don't use those anymore......

Dan

I shot a couple videos the other day, one with an MTM array playing in a room, and the other with a Unity horn playing in a room. (At it's heart, the Unity is an MTM array, albeit one that's on a horn.)

unity-horn-crummy-xover.mov - YouTube
My crummy Unity

jbl control now.mov - YouTube
A JBL array

In the video, I think you'll notice an incredible ability to retrieve detail, which is something that I've always noticed with the Unity horn. I believe the speakers which sound the most detailed are the ones with extremely good phase response in the midrange and treble. Basically, if the consonant sounds are 'disconnected' from everything else due to a phase problem, the spoken word will sound noticeably artificial.

Anyways, listen to the videos - I think you'll hear the difference in a matter of seconds. In particular, note how the sound changes as I walk into the room, and how the JBL array sounds like what it is - a loudspeaker playing in a reverberant room. But the Unity horn comes quite close to sounding like a real human being speaking in a room. I think this is all about phase, and that phase response is critical to believable detail.

Full disclosure - I am using a single capacitor for a crossover, so the frequency response is clearly wonky.

More details on the evolution of this horn can be found here:

Audio Psychosis • View topic - Under Dash Horn Alternative

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Badman. Horn comes in at about 750Hz which is actually possible with the 18" "waveguide" (cone). The woofer is crossed very low electrically because the of the open baffle rising response.
I've also heard them in a big ported box, but the crossover was not good - just one cap on the horn. They still had a lot of their magic, but didn't live up to what a good crossover can do.
No external EQ, just painstakingly chosen crossover parts. The P.Audio coax driver tend to sound very "P.A" if not done right. That bite is great for a rock P.A., not so great for home listening. Not a driver for the novice speaker builder, for sure. But in the hands a true giant.
Alas, the 18" is no longer made. :(

BM18CX38

The frequency plots on the P-A lit do not mean much. They are individual, not summed and raw w/o crossover. I will be posting some on axis fr data with a simple but effective cross over in place taken with the driver on a 24" X 50" OB. As good as any large format coax out there including the Altec 15" duplexes which some of you know I have reasonable and hands on knowledge of. (604 & 605)

of the speakers have used -

jbl D131 D123's

altec 755's 515's 808's

all the philips fullrange

R&A's

janszen electrostatic panels

audax HD 13 D34 H

I quit using the term "detail" sometime ago. Instead i use Allen Wright's Downward Dynamic Range (DDR). The ability of a DUT to clearly reproduce very small signal in the presence of a much larger signal. It is these tiny bits of information that enhance the illusion of reality.

One should be able to measure this. I don't know anyone that has.

dave

^ the single most intelligent post, thus far in this thread ^

along these lines would be a measurement of detail / resolution ...

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
altho robert harleys writing 'style' during his stint w/ hy$tereophile

left me with concerns about his character,

his comments about detail and resolution and that relationship

are worth noting here -

MAGICO Ultimate Loudspeaker | AVguide

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
of the speakers have used -
"Originally Posted by planet10
I quit using the term "detail" sometime ago. Instead i use Allen Wright's Downward Dynamic Range (DDR). The ability of a DUT to clearly reproduce very small signal in the presence of a much larger signal. It is these tiny bits of information that enhance the illusion of reality.

One should be able to measure this. I don't know anyone that has.

dave"

^ the single most intelligent post, thus far in this thread ^

along these lines would be a measurement of detail / resolution ...

*2. "It is these tiny bits of information that enhance the illusion of reality."

Last edited: