What does the average DIYer listen to these days?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, there seems like alot of diversity in here, everyone listens to something different, in fact it covers pretty much all the music types. The only one that I haven't noticed listed here is hardcore (not that new techno thingy). And since HPotter wanted some recomendations and since music is all about expression maybe check out some of these:

Blood for Blood
Hatebreed
Sheer Terror
Misconduct
From Autumn to Ashes
Raised Fist
Madball
Poison the Well
Sick of it All

Alot of people won't like it, in fact I know not many people who do, but it carries a message (Blood for Blood especially) that isn't usually heard in todays music. Unlike alot of "fake" MTV bands, hardcore bands don't put on a show to make money and sell albums so don't misinterpret their message as just another show to put on as a marketing gimmick.

Adelaide band The Barflys - Thunder Downunder has an intro of a HD starting in a garage and roaring off down the street.
Then guitars and toms and snares that will snap your neck.
Full of just great gutar, bass and drum sounds that make it feel like live.
The track ends with the HD returning and shutting down.
On a big clean loud system this one is SERIOUSLY impressive.

Regards, Eric.

Re: Hey Dice45

Sawzall said:
you wrote:I was not aware white musicians can develop such a Blues feeling (usually i'm a racist: Jazz has to be played by black musicians and any white man able and proven to play real jazz suffers from a -- harmless -- genetical defect, wrong skin colour).

Blues ain't a skin color - its a state of mind. ....But when Willie Nelson wrote "Night Life" it was a blues tune - Just took BB King for it to get played the right way.

Sawzall,
you are breakin' doors already open :)
agreed, and if i muse about it, well, i can think of more than 3 great Jazz musicians having white skin. It's just a pun, this racist statement, yanno, us Germans still are accused of latent racism very often (which is not justified IMO but very fashionable), and if a German German like me is claiming to be a racist, then claiming Jazz musicians have to be black, the human right's activists who have already have opened their mouth to yell at me have to close it again and swallow the (verbal) junk they intended to throw out :)

Yes, BB King is great, and Bix Beiderbecke and Lennie Tristano and Gerry Mulligan too.

Another one for the ska

In the first few pages, i saw some people that were into punk and ska, which suprised me, i figgured most of the people into hifi audio were all about the jazz and classical... you learn something new every week day, forget most of it on the weekend :)

anyway, here are a few songs i like to jam out to when the neighbors are at work... enjoy:

buck 0 nine - my town

reel big fish - beer
reel big fish - unity
reel big fish - take on me

all of the rbf songs are very upbeat, and pretty clean, just something great to jam out to when the house is empty

rx bandits - gun in your hand
rx bandits - status

rx bandits have a very tight and clean bass line, as well as some loud and great trombone action

sublime featuring No Doubt - Total Hate

this song is the only thing ive found that makes my sloppy 2 15's in my car hit the way they should. a must for testing the thump in your system.
i recomend downloading these, though yes, i know for one, its illegal, and two, mp3s are frouned apon due to the poor quality, but, i'll feel bad if you go buy the cd, then it sits on the shelf and doesnt get any play...
as for the sublime song, its a rare recording, and a cd quality recording is probably not availible in the store, mp3 will have to do. if you like these, ill be happy to suggest more, drop me a email

evan.

Phish
Radiohead
Allman Brothers Band
Grateful Dead
Medeski Martin and Wood
The Doors
Pink Floyd
Spiritualized
Led Zeppelin
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Pavement
Bob Marley
Dave Brubeck
John Scofield
Jimi Hendrix
Nirvana
Velvet Underground
The Who
Miles Davis
Thelonious Monk
Santana
Pearl Jam
Social Distortion
Oasis
Los Lobos
Widespread Panic
The Word
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
String Cheese Incident
Soulive
Charlie Hunter
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
John Coltrane

haha, zoombies, another one for the wasted youth crew...

Nice to hear that someone else here is into that, I'll check out those bands which I didn't know. And when the hell will The Dillenger Escape Plan come here I've been asking myself...

Tire, if you like reel big fish, buck-o-nine and the rx bandits, check out Catch-22, Mad Caddies and "Big D and the Kids Table", you'll probably like them if you haven't heard of them before.

griff said:
thats why i started this thread, to see if i was alone in my listening, glad to say im not. Well said btw.

hey, first time post in the other sections, long time poster in video threads, just watned to say, you arent alone. here are some of my favs: (all across the board really)

System of a Down (new cd is just amazing)
Tool (lateralus especially, cant beat that sonic beauty)
A Perfect Circle (listened to cd after getting a good system, i LOVE it)
Alien Ant Farm (i duuno, just like em)
Aphex Twin (just creativity combined with noise and rythym)
David Grey (white ladder is a superb chill album)
Eminem (i think the eminem show is just amazing. lyrics are of course harsh, but music is just solid)
Incubus (prefer newer over older, but great stuff)
Korn (older stuff, especially self-titled album is amazing)
Linkin Park (wow, track 4 with a great sub, or some good towers)
Marylin Manson (aside from personal beliefs, this guy can dish it out
No Doubt (return of saturn, what more to day)
Radiohead (yep, like them too)
Tori Amos (little earthquakes has some of the best vocals ive heard)
Sonic Youth (hits of sunshine is the best male vocals song ive heard)
Mocean Worker (although his new stuff is a disgrace to music, first 2 cds make up for anything he could ever do)
Outkast (yep, good stuff)

and a few others i probably cant think of at the moment. but, you guys arent alone! i also like Mudvayne too but sometimes they get a little too "shock rock" for me.

all classical for me

lots of orchestral, chamber music, piano, strings, some opera ... i was a violinist for many years, but gave up to be an EE. now i work at a dot-com. oh well. :rolleyes:

right now my favorite albums are the few SACDs i have - a couple multichannel releases (the Channel Classics albums of cellist Pieter Wispelwey are FANTASTIC, i love these recordings), classic reissues of the Cleveland Orchestra from the '60s, etc. etc. for classical music, SACD is a godsend - it completely blows CD away.

i do listen to the occassional jazz - Miles, Coltrane, etc. - but not too critically. i also like some mainstream pop (lots of dave matthews, some sting, U2, madonna, etc. etc.), but most of that stuff is relegated to my PC and mp3 player and never makes it to the Real System. :p although there is that Train SACD of Drops of Jupiter i'm considering getting...

well here is my 2 cents on the music.

what i listen to changes from month to month, whatever strikes my fancy at the time. At this moment i've been getting pretty geeked about classical music. Couldn't stand the stuff as a kid but know in old age (30) i've got a real apprication of the music. Here are the things that have made it into my system in the last 30 days.

Hayden, Symphonies B-flat major, D major & A Major
Hilary Hahn, Brahms & Stravinsky concerto for Violin & Orchestra
Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 5 & 1812 Overture
Vivaldi, Four Seasons
Beethoven concertos 1 thru six (on vinyl)

Pink Floyd, the wall and dark side of the moon (both vinyl)
No Doubt, Rock Steady
Sting, Dream of Blue Turtles (vinyl)
Police, Ghost in the Machine, Synchronicity (vinyl)
Steely Dan, Aja (vinyl)
The Tragically Hip, Phantom Power & Road Apples

The stuff i use a reference mat'l is as follows:

Holly Cole, Little Boy Blue - sweet bass riff, not to deep but very fast
Sting, Fields of Gold - very cool recording
Kim Mitchell, Rocklandwonderland - the intro has this big keyboard pad with the bass coming in by sliding down. The overall recording is overly bright but this is a good test if your bass is muddy.
1812 Overture, the one with big cannons, this will test the dynamic range of our speakers, or destroy them, one of the two.
Bela Flek - flight of the cosmic hippo(i think that's the title) This has some of the deepest bass i've ever heard. we are talking about mid twenties, maybe lower.

some of my other fav bands are:
Living Color,
The Tragically Hip,
Sting
The Headstones
Rez Band / Glenn Kaiser
Whiteheart
Beastie Boys

Personally, i find that old recordings tend to sound better on vinyl than on cd, and classical must be listened to on vinyl, there is just a warmth about. Most pop cd's, IMHO, are recorded very bright and tend to sound harsh when played.

Thank you for your time,
shibby

a friend of mine has a sacd player and i agree with you that it does sound very nice. He's played some classical on it, very nice dynamics. I don't think i'm gonna get one yet, even though they are 300 cdn right now. i wanna see who wins the format war (dvd-a or sacd).

One of the coolest recordings i've heard on sacd was Steve Ray Vaughn, i think the track was cold shot, i had never heard the crack of the snare like that before, sweet. But at 25-30 dollars an sacd it's little to rich for my blood. Vinyl cost me a buck a record at the local goodwill / value village. as my name goes i'm a cheap *ss

shibby

If it weren't for these guys, I wouldn't be building a 7200W system!:D My favorite artists are:

AC/DC
Ozzy
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Guns N' Roses
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Godsmack
White/Rob Zombie
Limp Bizkit
Powerman 5000
Motley Crue
and most anything of the sort.

They all blow that 80's and 90's pop s**t away!!

Through the system today.....

John Butler Trio: Three --- Best Aussie band in a decade.
Dave Matthews Band: Under the Tables and Dreaming
Who: Who's Next
John Mellencamp: Cuttin' Heads
Janis Joplin: Pearl
Jack Johnson: Brushfire Fairytales
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Muscle Shoals
Michelle Shocked: Deep Natural
Grand Funk Railroad: We're An American Band

Tonight.
Eva Cassidy / Ray Brown: Other Side
Holly Cole: It Happenned One Night
Tina Arena: In Deep (Japanese release) - np

When I need to sleep, Diana Krall can do that for me in moments.

But that was my mood today. Tomorrow it could be anything from gospel, to jazz, country, 'grass, folk, rock or world music. Occaisionally I like a bit of Opera, and some Classical, but not much of it yet; the taste is acquiring slowly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.