What crossover-topology?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
On the subject of tweeter crossover slope, it's worth bearing in mind that piston excursion increases at 12dB/octave as you reduce frequency. So, for a first-order slope, you get a net 6dB/octave increase below crossover.

It decreases rapidly with 12dB below the filter frequency. The 6dB filter reduces the level sooner, already well above the filter frequency, which means, yes, it reduces the excursion there a tad but below it rapidly exceeds the 12dB filter. Lower frequencies quickly lead to much higher excursions.

I doubt there's much cause for concern with the 2nd-order slope, as excursion will remain constant below crossover, until the tweeter resonance is reached. As this is a line-level crossover, tweeter resonance itself won't pose any problems, being subject to full amplifier damping factor. Below resonance, excursion reduces at a net 12dB/octave (so a relatively high resonance frequency is actually helpful).

It's easy to try the effects of the filter order on a dsp, you'll hear the difference very clearly. If the 12dB xo does sound worse then it's because of a bad adding phase/level. On 6dB you won't hear that because of the huge overlap range and lower phase shift.

(Do remember to reverse tweeter polarity for a 2nd order crossover.)

That strongly depends on the actual phase of the drivers. In theory perfectly right, on high xo frequencies the acoustical phase changes so fast, it can be wrong (-> supertweeter). Also, you don't change the polarity of the tweeter if you are using a dsp, you switch the phase in the dsp and store it in the settings. That way you can compare differnt filter setups without touching the speaker or the amps and get a direct A/B comparison.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
To be honest, I think it is a wise decision to invest in the tools you need to build. You're friend has a table saw so you don't have to buy that. If he doesn't have a large roundover bit, you should probably buy one. They are not that expensive and they will last you quite long.

The investment will definitely pay off in diffraction performance.

I can only sign that. A decent router does cost something but you will use it a lot on speakers if you build them more than maybe two in a lifetime.

It decreases rapidly with 12dB below the filter frequency. The 6dB filter reduces the level sooner, already well above the filter frequency, which means, yes, it reduces the excursion there a tad but below it rapidly exceeds the 12dB filter. Lower frequencies quickly lead to much higher excursions.

Please read my text again. I was trying to explain that driver excursion INCREASES (at 12dB/octave) as you you reduce frequency. So you need a 2nd order crossover just to maintain the same excursion below the crossover frequency. Excursion means potential for distortion.

It's easy to try the effects of the filter order on a dsp, you'll hear the difference very clearly. If the 12dB xo does sound worse then it's because of a bad adding phase/level. On 6dB you won't hear that because of the huge overlap range and lower phase shift.

But a 1st order crossover places potentially big demands on a tweeter. That can pose problems.

That strongly depends on the actual phase of the drivers. In theory perfectly right, on high xo frequencies the acoustical phase changes so fast, it can be wrong (-> supertweeter). Also, you don't change the polarity of the tweeter if you are using a dsp, you switch the phase in the dsp and store it in the settings. That way you can compare differnt filter setups without touching the speaker or the amps and get a direct A/B comparison.

But you do need to reverse the polarity at some stage. It was just a reminder that you need phase reversal for phase to track properly in the crossover region, if you are employing 2nd order filters.

(Why does this forum have such a user-unfriendly approach when it comes to multiple quotes?)

In most cases, the first-order crossover is not only problematic for the tweeter, but also for the mid / low-mid driver (cone break-up, beaming etc..).

I didn't know if it was advice, but in the case of DSP, it is worthwhile to bring the driver's response smooth first, then give the desired slope, crossover frequency and timing. In this case, it is easy to modify the parameters of the crossover after listening.

As a curiosity, i recently read on a forum where someone cut a soundtrack and re-assembled it with a high-order (24dB/oct LR i think) crossover for testing the audibility of the phase shift while listening to headphones. His conclusion was that there was no audible difference between the two tracks. With this, I would like to say that it's worth a try a higher order crossover, you get lower distortion but different power response with multi-driver loudspeaker. First order filters has very low advantage if any with DSP.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
In most cases, the first-order crossover is not only problematic for the tweeter, but also for the mid / low-mid driver (cone break-up, beaming etc..).

That's exactly what I was saying.

As a curiosity, i recently read on a forum where someone cut a soundtrack and re-assembled it with a high-order (24dB/oct LR i think) crossover for testing the audibility of the phase shift while listening to headphones. His conclusion was that there was no audible difference between the two tracks. With this, I would like to say that it's worth a try a higher order crossover, you get lower distortion but different power response with multi-driver loudspeaker.

Well, that's a lot easier because it's done with a dsp (or active) and you only 'hear' the filter itself. On a passive crossover the drivers are unfortunately often not that cooperative though and you do hear a difference.

First order filters has very low advantage if any with DSP.

Yes, I see it the same way.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Please read my text again. I was trying to explain that driver excursion INCREASES (at 12dB/octave) as you you reduce frequency. So you need a 2nd order crossover just to maintain the same excursion below the crossover frequency. Excursion means potential for distortion.

I think we just misunderstood each other. Sorry for that.

But a 1st order crossover places potentially big demands on a tweeter. That can pose problems.

Exactly. And this is the case here. The speaker is practically a 2-way with a bass below it, with a typical xo aimed at 2kHz. With 6dB you can't use the advantage of the woofers and are limited by distortion and likely excursion on the tweeter. There were several possible solutions mentioned here but 3wayaddict doesn't want to have any of it. I wonder what it's gonna be then.

(Why does this forum have such a user-unfriendly approach when it comes to multiple quotes?)

I don't know either, meanwhile I'm used to it (still annoys me often though).

The only advantage of the 1st order filter i see, when the passive filter is electrically 1st order. The goodness is not because the 1st order acoustical slope (often not possible with 1st order electrical) but because of low impedance between the amplifier and the drivers. But with DSP or active analogue crossovers this impedance is as low as possible, having only the wire and connectors between the amp and the drivers.

Last edited:
A driver/amp can be compensated by a network that makes its performance identical with a current source, or any output impedance in between. The driver itself doesn't change.

Ok, but this is a highly lossy procedure if done passively, more compensation means more loss. Loss of electricity (converted to heat) which is the music or sound itself. Maybe i am not right but i think it's audible.

Comparing the two extremes - power consumption in the driver will be the same, the Voltage is the same at all frequencies, the same current will be drawn through the driver at all frequencies, the response of the driver is the same, the directivity of the source isn't affected.

Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that a 1st order acoustic slope crossover requires exceptional drivers and in most cases I don't think this compromise is worthwhile to get fewer phase shifts.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
This isn't a problem for me. It is almost appearing as if you have an axe to grind?

I don't have an axe to grind but I hate it if someone (you) makes it sound a filter with a dsp would equally translate into a passive network. Because it does not, that's simply wrong.

A driver/amp can be compensated by a network that makes its performance identical with a current source, or any output impedance in between. The driver itself doesn't change.

Yeah, and in the process you're blowing tons of power and also huge ammount in parts for the network. Which in praxis is completely out of question. And a current source amp is not desireable in many cases either.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I lost track of this thread..

DSP is OK, butA small percentage. A DSP unit uses power too. Also consider the power consumed in the amp in each case.

And the passive does not need amplification? :rolleyes: The DSP eats hardly anything.
Yes, active speakers needs several channels but that's added up is still a lot less than you are burning by dragging the spl down - passive it's impossible to raise the level and therefore you have to burn the excessive level (mainly) in resistors. That way you lose a lot more power, remember, with rising spl it's a quadratic equation!

A few parts - to fix the problem at its source. DSP uses hundreds of parts.

The compensation of the impedance of a woofer will cost you ~120€ per side and you'll introduce serial resistances. That is everything but 'problem fixing at the source' - because that would mean, you'd do it before the amplifier. That problem solving at the source would be.. hmm.. a dsp maybe? :rolleyes:

Agree with many here, the target curve in the room should be gently dropping in level.

Secondly, I prefer a direct sound with a slight boost 1-2 kHz relative to 2-4 kHz due to the fact that you are dealing with stereo speakers that fire in an angle toward our ears. A perfect linear direct curve gives a timbral change of the phantom centre, and this can be adjusted with small changes in the frequency curve.

With respect to the BBC dip, I have mixed feelings. It depends if the recording has already compensated for the diffuse sound that the microphones pick up. I myself likes an image that falls behind the speakers (depth) and prefer in addition to the above, a bit lower power in the 3 kHz region.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
passive it's impossible to raise the level
This is simply untrue.
I use high efficiency speakers to start. By comparison, I build low efficiency amplifiers (I also keep my garden planted).
The compensation of the impedance of a woofer will cost you ~120€
Really, even if I didn't wind my own I'm sure I could find suitable parts for near nothing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.