What constitutes a grounding box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember seeing these boxes a few years back. Rather than dismiss them I thought about the possible benefits - any benefit has some worth to a customer and value-for-money is in the eye of the beholder.

The main benefit I saw was the creation of a system level star ground, which, if done well (key) can clean up ground loops and their relatives. Side benefits include enforcing some discipline in terms of system set up and likely implies the owner will be fussy about it. More contentiously, the owner may feel happy/satsfied, even if it’s a placebo this alone is valid.

It looks like an ideal candidate for DIY. A grounding box needs weight so that it will not get dragged around by the cables, so a box of metal and dirt should work admirably. Good quality connectors which are suitably anchored to each other through low impedance, a chunk of metal serves that need too. I’d want to have a safety earth too, clearly marked as such, perhaps already existing in the system in a commercial box.

Soooo... having decided a box of dirt makes a better "ground" than that in the AC receptacle, you hook the grounds of your equipment to that then connect that to the actual safety earth? And you use a metal box, so basically you have either created a long shared ground conductor surrounding a pile of dirt (if there is full connectivity from the "ground" connectors to the safety earth), or you have a inserted a resistance in the safety earth path. If your equipment has 3-prong AC plugs, are you going to remove the ground wire and rely entirely on your box of dirt, or are you going to leave safety earth properly connected and just add an extra high-impedance loop?

I still fail to see any benefit.

Instead of switching on my stereo I should just imagine listening to my records.
No grounding problems. No "dirt from the mains". Nice carbon footprint. Low cost.
ahh but would "imaginary reproduction" be considered audiophile(?) if no one else can hear it (to complain or tell you they have better)?

and when it comes to noise i think there's a possibility that the shrill piercing tone of my wife's voice intruding on "imaginary reproduction" and when it's quiet there's the background noise on my faulty brain....

Just a thought. Does the box eventually fill up with 'bad' stuff. Do you need to take it somewhere to have the 'bad' stuff taken out? What if all that 'bad' stuff escapes from the holding facility... Who you gonna call?

Of course it does. Like evil spirits and bad mojo. In which case you have to have the special silver/gold/platinum part replaced by a new one while they perform exorcism on the old one. Good thing is that they'll replace The Evil Accumulator™ for only a few thousand bucks which is just a fraction of what you paid for the magic box in the first place. That's a bargain if I ever saw one.

I wonder if people who believe in these boxes view them as sort of a voltage 'flywheel' that has a stabilizing effect on the ground voltage, whatever that happens to be, much like a capacitor having a stabilizing effect on the DC it's placed across. It's ludicrous to think that way, but if one believes in the boxes, then all things are possible.

Just realized that one of these things would have been a perfect place to hide my weed while still living at home back in the '70s. Connected to my ungainly stereo rig with a big honkin' wire, Mom would've been afraid to touch it.

Not sure if these had even been conjured up yet, back in those days? I sure don't remember reading about them anywhere, or seeing them in the shops, until fairly recently.

Are we getting dumber over time with all this stuff? Lately it sure seems as if our critical thinking skills are steadily returning to the earth, in little pine boxes.

I don't think we're necessarily getting dumber, although it feels like it, but more that with greater and greater reach of one's ideas, isolated loonies can gain some traction. The same forces that allow us to talk at great lengths about some fantastic topics with folks all over the world are available to all.

And certainly we as humans are not wired to handle this inundation of media, which certainly has been used to hijack some of our more basic inclinations. But mass media now is yet another manifestation of the"war of the worlds" radio broadcast, which did not even portend to be more than fiction!

Status
Not open for further replies.