What causes grainy sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about hints from feedback topologies? What in the feedback loop adds grain? Some resistors have current-dependent noise, do these become a candidate for grain (see my earlier post about resonance) in feedback loops?

Any feedbak loop has definite settling time, and even if this time very small, sound is a bit affected. Such NFB effects could be eliminated by using some low-pass RC filtering, some manufacturers do it, but than "lens" (amplifier) becomes non-transparent.

Or is it just that even-order distortion is somehow covering the grain?

The valve amps i enjoy have a dominant 3rd which does not stop them from being completely grain free. Lots of transistor amps are similar, so the second harmonic mantra is (again) not the answer.

And another favourite platitude, the wire with gain, has made a re-appearance. It dates to a long forgotten, innocent era when all wire sounded the same :p

I do not buy the idea that an amp with very low distortion and noise can have a grainy sound.
Again let's focus the recordings. Often they are compressed, wildly equed, distorted ... it is just normal that they sound grainy.
The amp just shows that.
Let's take a recording above all suspicion and listen ...

I do not buy the idea that an amp with very low distortion and noise can have a grainy sound.

If you consider the precise manner in which amp measurements are made you may note that its eminently possible. All an amp needs is susceptibility to ultrasonic ingress -either normal-mode or common-mode (as those wouldn't normally be tested for in standard measurements) and a source component that generates either or both of those.

Last edited:
Any feedbak loop has definite settling time, and even if this time very small, sound is a bit affected. Such NFB effects could be eliminated by using some low-pass RC filtering, some manufacturers do it, but than "lens" (amplifier) becomes non-transparent.
A tiny phase shift won't be audible. The quality of the feedback network is important since it is in the signal path.

Yet no one has established any link between the known types of distortion and grainy sound. And especially not to harmonic distortion.
Your position is a mystery, unless it is just a paraphrase of the old "all amps sound the same"

Next step is to design by ear ?
seriously ... lab instruments have a market ... so i guess measurements are of some help in assessing the quality of an audio equipment
Maybe we do not know well what to measure ... but noise is noise ... distortion is distortion
If you send inside 1 kHz and you get at the output 1 kHz plus many harmonics that is not fidelity to the source signal

https://www.stereophile.com/images/619PLE400fig7.jpg

619PLE400fig7.jpg

One thing i believe ... to perform tests with real loads (i.e. complex) and not a pure resistor ...

Last edited:
That is correct. Why people argue high and low over distortion of the voltage output while being oblivious to the acoustic distortion that we directly hear is beyond me. :D

you mean that they do not know how to measure the acoustic distortion ?
still i have the feeling that truth can hurt ... bad recordings will be very evident through transparent systems ... less so with veiling systems
Like makeup covering wrinkles :eek:

Last edited:
Yet no one has established any link between the known types of distortion and grainy sound. And especially not to harmonic distortion.

How is it possible for people to find out if they don't even know that audible differences do exist? Who is going to set up the ABX test and who will going to pass the test? If you knew the mechanism what's in it for you to setup the test and be the Guinea pig?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.