What causes grainy sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Granted, a lot of people are not interested in making an amp. But when you get really bitten by the bug, you never stop at just one.

Yes, I can see the attraction. For me it would be to custom build an amp to drive an equally custom built horn speaker, and then to see if it can be made with progressively fewer components. Proper DIY electronic engineering. Now that would be a real blast.

identifying what aspects of a amplifier produces the sound I prefer......then there’s the hurdle of ‘all properly designed amplifiers sound the same’.

I think all amps tend to sound the same is because they all tend to have exactly the same problems. It is hard to avoid as it is in (the lack of variations in) the transistors that you choose. Then there is the GNFB with its inherent problem.

Bob, I guess you like the sound of a lively and 'fast' sound, even at the price of unnatural tones. Seems like tube amps are not for you. I don't like tube amps either, but I can see something in it (which is not the noise and distortion of course) that is unavailable in most (if not all) solid states, and is quite worth the issues. My amp is I think something in between. It has 'that' quality of tube amps but is clean from noise and distortion, can drive any big woofers and is 'fast' enough.

Yes, I can see the attraction. For me it would be to custom build an amp to drive an equally custom built horn speaker, and then to see if it can be made with progressively fewer components. Proper DIY electronic engineering. Now that would be a real blast.
You can't get much simpler that a power follow Project 83 - MOSFET Power Follower
It just means the complexity is somewhere else :)

There are differences in density and efficiency. If you want to move up, those are good options.

Evenharmonics,

Yes, you are correct in this. Paper can be made out of any fibrous vegetable matter, such as rice, hemp, jute, papyrus, cotton - the list is endless, and all these materials have differing properties. Same with speaker drivers - so many different types!

ToS

Evenharmonics,

Yes, you are correct in this. Paper can be made out of any fibrous vegetable matter, such as rice, hemp, jute, papyrus, cotton - the list is endless, and all these materials have differing properties. Same with speaker drivers - so many different types!

ToS

I would have thought the biggest difference would be in the binder, i.e. wallpaper paste compared to phenolic resin?
It's all been done before.

Bob, I guess you like the sound of a lively and 'fast' sound, even at the price of unnatural tones. Seems like tube amps are not for you. I don't like tube amps either, but I can see something in it (which is not the noise and distortion of course) that is unavailable in most (if not all) solid states, and is quite worth the issues. My amp is I think something in between. It has 'that' quality of tube amps but is clean from noise and distortion, can drive any big woofers and is 'fast' enough.

Who said anything about unnatural?

My first ‘real’ amp was a KA-907 kenwood ...wish I still had that! Impressed the heck out of me. Quick,smooth,powerful

Next one worth mentioning was a H/K avr500 ......although it was a HT reciever this thing excelled at lively, loud, and clean ........the hotter it got the better it sounded until it zeroed out somewhere around fry eggs and melting down, then it just pumped smooth sound for sometimes over 24hrs straight for almost 15 yrs! There’s a thread about the smell of electronics.....this thing was like a musical incense machine. Finally gave up the ghost couple yrs ago.

Next is my new R-N803 Yamaha........this integrated 2.1 is something future designers need to look at. There’s several things that could certainly be done better (like plastic knobs for one....really?) but what’s inside looks to be of decent quality and the built in app based dsp is the ticket.....its not full blown dsp but it’s enough to let me know I need more of it!
This thing although fairly inexpensive, is a dang eye opening revelation for me......I’ve never had such a real/natural sounding system as I do now. This will be my reference until bettered.

The Hint? Well here I thought i’d be stepping up to the next level but it’s been a rather disappointing climb.....not done yet though, looking at ways to smack it into compliance!

I don’t know if there’s any topology similarities in those first three but they were all ‘fast’ and not unnatural in the least.

Edit.... keeping on topic, the avr500 was very grainy sounding until it heated up then it was smooth as the proverbial babies bottom.....explain that?

Edit 2...... oh yah.....again if you need a test dummy i’ll pay shipping! :D

Last edited:
I am genuinely happy to note your increasing attempts to help other members. I pray that you will also be more considerate and be in control to avoid creation of and participation in noisy banters both useless and disturbing to other members.
Keep in mind, it wasn't me who used up the forum bandwidth with posts like the following.

"And they show all kind of esoteric measurement of the amp output as if we could connect the wires to our head or something to directly perceive the high fidelity they like to advertise but prevent access to any measurement results of the acoustic output on any speakers. Most probably their target customers are distortion analyzers, robots or the gullibles and care nots like most regular consumers. But the strategy seems to work well so far feeding people of the far shores and stunt growth of manufacturers of quality audio products in your backyard. I really admire the effort of Jason Stoddard & co. in this respect."

"You have a slight misconception about the procedure of the test Your Royal Highness. Both the recording process and ABX test will be recorded on video. Your humble servant guarantee that the result of the ABX test will be both flawless and utterly useless for any purpose for both of us at the same time to satisfy the requirement that Your Royal Highness has decreed. As usually done for International Aribitrage involving Royalty, Your Royal Highness may consider the services of 3 (three) or more witnesses to monitor the process. As per understanding of your humble servant, several large lawyer firm recognized internationally like Lloyd's do provide such services for select individual with coverage on select region in Indonesia. Your humble servant will coordinate the schedule of the test with witnesses appointed by Your Royal Highness to guarantee a smooth process, robust, scientific and objective test result.

On the financial side, Your Royal Highness also has no ground to worry. There is never a need to provide an account number. Simply send money to pay for a service (to produce one flawless and useless ABX result) to your humble servant's Paypal account. It will be fully refunded should your humble servant fail to deliver the agreed upon ABX test result.
"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.