What cartridge upgrade from a Shure V15 V-MR?

90% of cartridge's virtue is in its stylus, and that's where most R&D improvement effort was focused. I doubt any knockoff stylus will perform as OEM in any top of the line cartridge. As I posted, I tried Jico for my Shure V15 Type III, and it didn't track as good as original stylus.

OEM styli for Stantons come up regularly on eBay. Not cheap though.

Whatever names they used, Stereohedron, Micro Ridge, Micro Line, etc. are basically same profile. Nude means the whole needle is one piece of diamond, not diamond tip glued to metal shank.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
90% of cartridge's virtue is in its stylus, and that's where most R&D improvement effort was focused. I doubt any knockoff stylus will perform as OEM in any top of the line cartridge. As I posted, I tried Jico for my Shure V15 Type III, and it didn't track as good as original stylus.

I tend to agree.
Back when, when I had the "Shure V15 Type II Improved" in my Dual 1229, and with my Koss Pro4AA headphones on my "then" 25 year old ears, that cartridge was utterly flawless with anything I slapped on the turntable.

Every nuance, everything in perfect balance, no irritating sibilance ever, that's something people complain about today.

I tried the Stantons/ Pickerings, but they never grabbed me like the Shure did.
Matter of fact, I've got a Stanton 681EEE Calibration Standard (w/original stylus) sitting lonely in a box in my stock of cartridges, but no need to install it.

The current Dual I own has an AT95E on it, and actually sounds a lot like that old Dual I owned decades ago.

Whatever names they used, Stereohedron, Micro Ridge, Micro Line, etc. are basically same profile. Nude means the whole needle is one piece of diamond, not diamond tip glued to metal shank.

Well, Jico makes the needle I mentioned, they are probably far superior to what is for sale on EBay. The reviews are excellent, but - I agree with you, the needle is the most important component - and for 200 US $ (plus import costs), I think I would rather have a high-output MC. It will always be a new sound, something to discover. How to change wife, I suppose, although the train has already escaped me ......:D

D81 – JICO

The cost is high, but the London Decca Super Gold does have my attention. The reports of the music appearing 'live' appeals. Other than the cost though the suitability to my carbon arm leaves a question mark. Cannot find any reports of anyone trying this combination yet a few saying liquid damping is important which mine does not have.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
90% of cartridge's virtue is in its stylus, and that's where most R&D improvement effort was focused. I doubt any knockoff stylus will perform as OEM in any top of the line cartridge. .

I disagree on the R&D investment. Most cart manufacturers just buy in stylii and Jico use the same Namiki microridge as Shure used in the V15V-MR.

Gets more confusing on Shibata as there are two different cuts, but again nearly all come from Namiki.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The cost is high, but the London Decca Super Gold does have my attention. The reports of the music appearing 'live' appeals. .

Costs a fortune, needs a very good arm, barely tracks the record. I am not aware of anyone with a Decca as their only cartridge. But it has a loyal following, so either they are right, or it'st just good euphonics. I can't afford to find out.

I disagree on the R&D investment. Most cart manufacturers just buy in stylii and Jico use the same Namiki microridge as Shure used in the V15V-MR.

Gets more confusing on Shibata as there are two different cuts, but again nearly all come from Namiki.

If it was only a diamond cut, that would be simple. The differences are in cantilever construction and materials, bushings, etc. Jico has one-size-fits-all plain aluminum cantilever in all their styli, the one found in lower grade OEM cartridges. A cartridge with Jico stylus will no longer be Shure, Stanton, AT, etc. one, it will be a Jico cartridge, for good or for bad.

Jico reviews on their web site are fake, all written by the same person.