What can I use instead of k170/j74?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
whatever is old school-ish

meaning - higher efficiency with cones easy to drive , so not like modern type of pro drivers , with heavy VCs and cones

my fave ........ I'm too wakoo , so really liking too much things , so I can't pick just one approach as best

8" FR bafleless with 12" bass helper in TL

big coaxes

8" FR in BLH

8" on OB + one or two 15" helpers

Econowawes , but not with modern type bass drivers (see above)

anyway , I'm soon going to be stacked with just two systems - coaxes in ML TL boxes - first one is RCA LC1B in my workshop , second one is Tannoy K3808 in our living room

I was considering a Jensen copy with FR and 12" woofer in 60L cabinet. Got some 12" peerless XLS to mate with some MA drivers I have. I have yet to hear an 8" driver that doesnt get congested quickly with dense music. I was considering MA 7.3 -500hZ and up, MA10.2 - 100hz to 500hz, and then XXLS doing sub duty. Definitely kills FR concept, but small diameter 7.3 is clean as a whistle with great detail, but lacking in body. I have read that 100-500Hz range is where you can benefit from a dedicated driver in this respect, so that is the idea behind bigger brother 10.2. Higher efficiency of 10.2 should take care of BS passively, and being of same make should mean good integration. Both will be cleaner with Peerless hadling low stuff. Of course all will be actively managed by B1 style active Xover. Never had the pleasure of hearing old coaxials or Tannoys. Been around classic guitar amps my whole life. Never been able to reproduce that sound in a speaker though. One instrument having its own driver is cheating anyway.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
whatever is old school-ish

meaning - higher efficiency with cones easy to drive , so not like modern type of pro drivers , with heavy VCs and cones

my fave ........ I'm too wakoo , so really liking too much things , so I can't pick just one approach as best

8" FR bafleless with 12" bass helper in TL

big coaxes

8" FR in BLH

8" on OB + one or two 15" helpers

Econowawes , but not with modern type bass drivers (see above)

anyway , I'm soon going to be stacked with just two systems - coaxes in ML TL boxes - first one is RCA LC1B in my workshop , second one is Tannoy K3808 in our living room

I have A-7s, and Econowave w/ JBL 2235H or 2225H, I just thought you were angling towards a "single driver" set up, the OB with helpers has been calling to me for a while, I assume you mean with separate bass amps?

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
... I assume you mean with separate bass amps?

Russellc

certainly easiest , but not necessary
"passive" combo of Sonido 8" + two Eminence Alpha 15 is already proven .

I know Troels is not god but he is not much of a fan of ribbons. He has even tried the RAAL ribbon and did not find it mated well

obviously his problem , not mine

I'm not speaker expert , but it's more then doable :clown:

Melon Head,
HAve you looked at L'CAo Alnico?

I have now.
They look like some really nice speakers.
I might even buy a pair.
What the hell, may as well buy everything now. I have past the point of no return. :D
Thanks for that. I will read more about them.
I a just bought a pair of full ranges today. Very high efficiency (100dB/W)
Hopefully have them in 2 weeks time..
Then there will be a show down. Battle Of The Dumb Speakers.
The winner will be crowned The Dumbinator

I have now.
They look like some really nice speakers.
I might even buy a pair.
What the hell, may as well buy everything now. I have past the point of no return. :D
Thanks for that. I will read more about them.
I a just bought a pair of full ranges today. Very high efficiency (100dB/W)
Hopefully have them in 2 weeks time..
Then there will be a show down. Battle Of The Dumb Speakers.
The winner will be crowned The Dumbinator

What did you get?

When I have them in my hands you will see photos, and I will give a very brief desription of them in Open Baffle vs my Seas full ranges.
Hoping they will be a significant upgrade. Touch wood.
If I am happy with them then I will probably buy 4 x 12" woofers for extra bass support in open baffle. I have a few ideas but won't know until I have them to play with

Last edited:
I bought 50pcs of 2SK170, but when I look at my trusted local store, I just find out 2 strange things : bad printing and the legs shape. Some diy'ers on the store said for sure that it's FAKE. and it's about 50 FAKE trans, wew

2SK170.jpg

below figure for what I get from my trusted local store, and it's the same as my α20 trans kit from amb.org

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.