What can be created of this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to utilise some transformers I have lying around at home.. But as my electronics skills are unfortunately not close to my language skills, I am asking for advice, circuit description and suggestions..

I have 8 ring type transformers (brand new) with the following details printed on them:

5,5 A, 60 Volt (measured as well)

What I would like is some decent class A stuff,
but I am not sure what I can anticipate from the HW I've got.

I appreciate all "contributions"..

Thanks a lot..

amplifierguru said:
Besides it's summer in Norway, so any justification is gone. [/B]

Well, it is summer season, but that does not always mean warm weather and sunny days.. It is rather cold and windy, and the real summer does not normally kick in before late july or early august..

But my eagerness is not season based.. ;)

Besides, I am happy with any sollution, as long as I can utilise the transformators.. I have a easy and by Norwegian standard, very cheap, access to equipment and parts if needed..

Hi guys.

Thanx,

You could make some really powerful ClassAB amps with 85-90V rails from a pair. On full range music they will likely use only 50W if that. Then, if your friends like them you can make three more for them. Your power bill and the environment and future generations will thank you.

Bill Fitzpatrick,

2650W of supply IS wasting power and, if we all adopted your mindset, nothing would ever be conserved. Funny weather we've been having?

amplifierguru said:

Bill Fitzpatrick,

2650W of supply IS wasting power and, if we all adopted your mindset, nothing would ever be conserved. Funny weather we've been having?

You're just a conservation radical without much perspective. Class A amps don't amount to squat; they're a grain of sand, a fleabite, a single pimple on humankinds collective butt. Come back and talk to me of conservation when you start taking cold showers.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:

You're just a conservation radical without much perspective. Class A amps don't amount to squat; they're a grain of sand, a fleabite, a single pimple on humankinds collective butt. Come back and talk to me of conservation when you start taking cold showers.

I think the first step in the creation of a point... is to prove that Class A or any other inefficent power amplifier sounds better than a well built efficent amp...

also once you do this... please go talk to Richard Clark

:D :angel:

:devilr:

Hi Bill,

I'm not about to be having cold showers anytime soon, especially in winter - but then I have solar hot water! Doesn't everyone.
But this raises a higher issue - whether those who reasonably minimise their environmental impact in their everyday lives as a moral obligation to future generations should go without basic necessities so some bombastic *** can tool around consoooming the planet excessively.

I used to make Class A amps - 25W in a 100W AB chassis! 1976.
But, with the refinement of Class AB, and the vastly better use of resources to achieve dynamic range without wasteful power consumption they're simply irrelevant.

amplifierguru said:

But this raises a higher issue - whether those who reasonably minimise their environmental impact in their everyday lives as a moral obligation to future generations should go without basic necessities so some bombastic *** can tool around consoooming the planet excessively.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in conserving and I'm not a fan of class A. Anyway, I think it's too late - the poop is about to hit the fan - we're almost out of oil. I figure I'll be lucky if I don't get shot defending my gas tank.

Well,
I think you are both correct.

A class A amp is certainly a waste of power. The same basic thing can be achieved with a chip amp....really. Then very little power would be consumed.

Some people see audio as recreation and are willing to use the 'juice' for a Class A. That is what makes them happy. They feel it brings them closer to thier goal.

It comes down to recreational choices...example:

I'm not sure what to do for vacation this year. Should we all hop a feul burning plane to Orlando and visit Disney to partake in all of the powered attractions and atmosphere destroying fireworks? <or> Should we sit at home with a 60w bulb burning and a cold fridge full of brews? They both are the same...a vacation.

The first consumes a LOT of energy but is generally preferred. The second, is at most...efficient!

So, are those transformers center tapped or not?

Hi everyone........,

regarding conservation of power... we use large solar panels to obtain power for our soldering irons, oscilloscopes, fancy lights, coolers, heaters, computers, soft starting amplifiers, instruments, torturing shocks, juice machines+++++ everything dependable on 240VAC mains.....besides our domestic power supply..

This saves lot of money and makes us environment friendly....:D

Good grief! Didn't want to hijack your thread Thanx - so are those trannies CT?

Yes Kanwar, that's excellent - commendable!

I know in India your 'village' inventors are bring environmentally friendly comforts to many who could not otherwise afford the energy. I would like to visit someday. Do you know if they are using thermopiles - I understand a Scottish team has devised a 100W thermopile using monolithic techniques and people can use the stray heat from their stoves to provide thermopile electricity, lighting, etc.. Kids being able to study at night so better educational outcomes etc... let's hope they don't all grow up to be telemarketers to here.

P.S. When I wen't to Thailand it was in part because the company had a conscience and was providing real support for promotion of country crafts to provide the very poor with an income so they could improve their lot without resorting to child prostitution or slavery. Kids have a right to a childhood and education.

Originally posted by mpmarino
So, are those transformers center tapped or not?

Yes, it seems like the transformers are center tapped.

Finding it a bit strange that this can be turned over to a enviromental discussion.. For this discussion I will mention that Norway is using water powered power stations, for about 90% of the electrical consumption..
I think you would do better, fighting against big V8 engines than a simple Class A amp.. at least on the enviromental side..
(But, I am all for a power car, as I relate to mpmarino's comment, about recreation.. I can understand the recreational part of having a nice Chevelle or similare car)

<Bill>
If only America did not use the overpowered cars, for everything they do, I think the oil would last much longer ;o)

But this discussion were ment to be about amps..
And as far as energy consumption goes, I am really not bothered by it.. The electrical bill is payed by my landlord (included in rent) anyway..

:angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.