What are you Watching?

Mamselle has "The Crown" on via Netflix at the moment. I am being the obedient manservant.

The thing that I puzzle over wrt Netflix -- it costs them about $0.80 of incremental debt to add $1.00 of marginal revenue. This is not a stable economic model. Their programming seems to have put the big networks to shame, however. My educated guess is that NFLx will be part of the long term picture and the detritus which makes up the other 98% of our cable channels will wither away.

Last edited:
There are some DVD Movies I just can't chuck away.

One of my favourites is a 1962 Western, called "The Man who shot Liberty Valance".

Gripping film. Deliberaly shot in Black and White. John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Vera Miles and Woody Strode and a good supporting cast.

A very nice analysis of the John Ford directing skill that went into making it here:

A Steak, a Standoff, and the Death of the West - YouTube

I could watch it again. And shall. :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
'Angel and the Bad Man' was the first picture Wayne produced, he put all his favorite actors in it.
A personal favorite, as I grew up around similar quietly stubborn Quakers.

In it, he perfected the 'John Wayne triple-take' (look, turn away, look again, turn and shake the crazy or amazing thing out of your head, look again...).

don't recall who directed

There are some DVD Movies I just can't chuck away.

One of my favourites is a 1962 Western, called "The Man who shot Liberty Valance".

+1

My dad is a cowboy fanatic......books, movies, music, all things Western and when Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Zorro, et al came to Atlanta I think he had even more fun than me and my friends!

I pretty much burned out on them, but The Cheyenne Social Club, Firecreek are so entertaining that I'm on my third double feature set. There's a few others such as Hondo is special, especially since I saw it in 3D, wish they'd do it in 4k!

GM

Well Angel and the Badman was an absolute Cracker!

Loved it. :D

Everything I like in a Western. I always watch whether people wear Black Hats or White Hats. Like lots of shootin' and cattle stampedes and races between horses and carriages and Saloon Bar fights. Don't want to spoil the plot for you but that Gail Russell was a looker. :cool:

Just finished watching Lovecraft Country, too bizarre.

Trying to get into Westworld season 1, I'm about 4 episodes in, hopefully, this doesn't put me to sleep.

I've also picked up a couple of seasons of Silicon Valley on blu-ray.

Couldn’t be more right about Lovecraft Country - lotsa gorgeously rendered gooey messes happening every episode, which along with the nudity certainly preclude it from “shows to share with gramma” Not to say that all grammas are prudes, but still a bit squirmy. Shameful to admit that I’d never heard about the Tulsa riots.
Westworld is another test of patience- again for me, mostly well produced, but please definitely leave your logical mind at the door.
Tried to endure the latest reboot of “Brave New World”, but couldn’t find a single character to engage with. That said, I’m probably not the only one who’s fantasized lately about having my personal Pez/Soma dispenser.

Couldn’t be more right about Lovecraft Country - lotsa gorgeously rendered gooey messes happening every episode, which along with the nudity certainly preclude it from “shows to share with gramma” Not to say that all grammas are prudes, but still a bit squirmy. Shameful to admit that I’d never heard about the Tulsa riots.

Westworld is another test of patience- again for me, mostly well produced, but please definitely leave your logical mind at the door.

Tried to endure the latest reboot of “Brave New World”, but couldn’t find a single character to engage with. That said, I’m probably not the only one who’s fantasized lately about having my personal Pez/Soma dispenser.
Yeah. You should watch season 1 of the watchmen. That also covers the Tusla massacre of 1921.

I'm trying to get into Raised by Wolves, and Devs.

I've watched Forbidden Planet twice. It's very good. :)

This little 10 minute comedy sketch "Dinner for One" is the most repeatedly aired program in the World apparently. Had me falling about yesterday.

DINNER FOR ONE Original 1963 HQ - YouTube

It is shown every year across Europe as a Christmas or New Year warmup. Because it is physical comedy and simple dialogue it works in all languages, "The same procedure as every year" has become a popular phrase in Germany.

Dinner for One: the British comedy Germans have been laughing at for years | Television | The Guardian

"Scandal in Sorrento" -- Sophia Loren and Vittorio di Sica from 1955. Won an honorable mention at the Berlin Film Festival. It was a part of a trilogy ("Pane, Amore..."). Free on Netflix:

Attachments

• Sorrento.jpg
    Sorrento.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 126