What are you Watching?

Just finished an HBO mini-series that I’d saved up for full immersion binge watching, and am glad I consumed it that way - “The Plot Against America”. IMHO, one of HBO’s better productions in quite some time.
And no, as the original Roth novel was written in 2005, any analogy to current political situation is entirely coincidental.

This thread comes full circle. In Bill Bryson's book "One Summer" he chooses 1927 as an interesting year in US history. It was. Al Capone elected the Mayor of Chicago and made a fortune from prohibition. Babe Ruth scored all those Home runs in a tight contest. Charles Lindbergh became a national hero for flying the Atlantic.

But then Charles Lindbergh turned out to have some very unsavioury views erring to the Extreme Right. It was one of those disillusioning "Say it ain't so, Joe" (baseball cheat) moments in US history.

For a good time read "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" by said Richard.
Among other things, you will learn how to open most combination locks.
Was actually handy once.

I must have read that book, but I don't remember when. But having had an occasional career as a security officer, I once bragged I could get past any lock in the building. :eek:

Imagine my dismay when I locked the company out of the video-recording room by trusting my secure instinct to lock it one night. I used the wrong key, which locked it but wouldn't unlock it. My career in ruins! My children starving! :eek:

I didn't panic. I just disassembled and studied the rest of the locks in the building. Brought my tools in the next night. Quick drill in the right place and I unlocked it. Phew! :D

Dick Feynman was my first hero. BTW, how to pick a lock below... there is no such thing as a secret.

Attachments

• safecracker.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
It's the Gee Gees again today in my neck of the woods! I am doing some detective work on the Form for the 3-y-o colts Epsom Derby and the 3-y-o Fillies race, The Epsom Oaks. :D

Frankly Darling won the Royal Ascot Ribblesdale and goes into the Oaks second-favourite to Love.

Pyledriver (who cost a mere £10,000 as a foal) surprised everyone by winning the Royal Ascot King Edward VII at 18-1. But is considered fast improving and finding his feet still. And should have a chance in the Derby.

Both near 1.5 mile races.

Best race was the King's Stand Stakes (Group 1) by 6-y-o Battaash on 5 furlongs. Da Fastest Horse in da World! My money was on him, because he looked so fit. Considered the Usain Bolt of horseflesh.

Romped it in the eerie quiet of the deserted racecourse with the 6th fastest time ever. Marvellous. :cool:

Jubiloso in the fillies Duke of Cambridge 16.10 for me. Good jockey. Dark horse is Wasmya. A Frenchie with Frankie Dettori riding. They wouldn't have sent it over just for the trip. Ah well, let's see... And I lost my shirt on that one. Nazeef won it's 5th consecutive race. Mug's game, betting. But great entertainment!

Last edited:
My recall of "The Prisoner" was it was on after the Football Match of the Day on Saturday Night at 11 o'clock.

That was precisely the time that we got evicted from the local PUB where we had had a good time. :eek:

So we went home and tried to make sense of Patrick Mc.Goohans effort. Having missed the first 15 minutes. After that, it was the 12 PM National Anthem and bedtime oblivion.

Honestly, who IS Number 2? Who is number 1? Why should I care about Number 6? Why do white balloons float over the Welsh beach? Just sayin.

last night I watched ET and cried at all the sentimental parts

You are a sucker. And I don't mean this unkindly. According to our latest estimates, the nearest Extraterrestrials are 17,000 light years away. Which means there is NO CHANCE of ET visiting us.

As a gifted Physicist I can assure you that nothing travels faster than light. And cryogenic suspension is hardly feasible either. The Ice crystals will rip your body apart.

Planet Earth it is. Let's just make the most of it. :D