What are you drinking?

The juniper is a given with gin (sorta where the name derives) , but the real art is in the blending other botanicals. My favorite 3 are local small batch and include some pretty interesting combinations; hops, coriander, bay laurel, lavender, grand fir (Fermentorium Stump); grapefruit peel, rose petal, cinnamon bark, ginger root, tea & butterfly pea blossom, (Empress 1908 Indigo); Sheringham is a bit more circumspect with the ingredients other than "citrus" and locally harvested winged kelp.

Maybe I'm channeling Mr Coward, but these are almost spoiled by the addition of anything other than a couple of ice cubes and maybe a twist of lime / mint leaf. The Empress does a rather cute trick of changing color from indigo to pink with the addition of sufficient acidity from the tonic water, so that's hard to resist.

TThe Empress does a rather cute trick of changing color from indigo to pink with the addition of sufficient acidity

Reminds me of "QUAL ORG CHEM" -- a graduate course which I was permitted to take as a junior in college and absolutely aced. I loved the analytical lab part of chemistry, but had great difficulty with the 3-D parts of organic.

I like a gin martini once about every 2 or 3 weeks, dinner out w wifey, but no more frequently. Will stick with the Canadian and Kentuck ethanolizations otherwise.

I made Bisp syrup to have on hand and mix, used the syrup with Yellow Tail Shiraz just now, a bit over the top maybe, but it's ridiculously good. Also made a non-alcoholic version with red grape juice which is fantastic, this day is for the kids after all, so one little drink is ok, but I am very conservative.

Bisp is the Norwegian equivalent of the Swedish Glögg, or the German/Austrian Gluhwein.

God Jul* to everyone!

*Or insert suitable equivalent.

Here's a picture of the tree and my two decorators in the back (in front of a very inaccurate depiction of the world), picture was taken yesterday.
Everyone is happy and we're having a very good time, Santa had even taken the time to write letters to the kids.
:santa2: :xmasman: :snowman: :santa3: :santa: :deerman: :hohoho: :frosty: :deer: :xmastree:

Attachments

• IMG_20181223_170343.jpg
    IMG_20181223_170343.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 90