What are you drinking?

We have always had the opinion that it is bad and sad to add anything (non-alcoholic) to expensive spirits, but when we tested whiskey at Chicago Distilling we found out that GOOD alcohol and high-Q additives make an even better combination.

Yesterday I did the opposit. Had a bottle of raw pressed apple juice that I mixed with vodka - bad! The perfect applejuice was ruined, by the spirit.

Right now, however have finished a small glass of (homemade) rhubarb liqueur and a jog of coffee.

The dispenser is the chiller. It's a bath system, ie: chilled as you draw it. To buy that today along with the 10 cornelius kegs we have would be a lot more than you have it pegged. We got lucky to have a neighbour moving out of town and needed to sell it.

Hope you feel better soon. Lipton chicken noodle is not as good as the genuine 'Jewish Penicilin'.

Sadly, gone are the days of $10 Ball Lock Corny Kegs. I wish I hadn't sold all of mine and then had to start over. Still, $75 for new kegs isn't bad.

Ooo! Now for $65 each.

New 5 Gallon Cornelius Keg - AIH Ball Lock Corny Keg

The dispenser is the chiller. It's a bath system, ie: chilled as you draw it. To buy that today along with the 10 cornelius kegs we have would be a lot more than you have it pegged. We got lucky to have a neighbour moving out of town and needed to sell it.

Kegs are ~70-100 bucks a piece.
The cylinder and gauges at least $100, the fountain around $300 although I sometimes see them for $600.

Ron you don't need a beer engine, only a tap. They are a couple of bucks.

Here is a partial setup for $140. You need a CO2 tank (5# for another $70) and CO2, say $20 for a fill.

Total around $230 for the first keg and setup. I'm sure I could do it for less by shopping around.

Go on Craigslist and you can find good deals some times on used equipment.

WE picked up a bottle of Czech (??) absinth somewhere in Germany last year, but ....... :yuck: ... it is propably just a bad mix of C2H5OH, some water (to delute the alcohol to 50-something %), some color and some essence.
It tastes like .... :soapbox: .
Tonite I added large amounts of Angostura Orange, ice and sugar and held a shotgun to my head "encouraging" myself to drink the stuff....
But is 55%, so I cannot just pour it in the sink, can I?!

Stay away from this one!!!!:lock:

20164340-staroplzenecky-05l.jpg

From what I have read, most of the Czech "Absinth" is drek. It is way too bitter and often has Artemesia Absentium in the coloring phase. Note there is no "e" on the end of Absinth.

The only Absinthe I have purchased in the past ten years have been from Jade Liqueurs, and they are very expensive.

I remember a very good experience in Bulgaria many years ago.
I went with my then just turning 18 year old sister to vacation, partly because she was suffering under poor conditions from her father, only verbal stuff though, but that can be bad enough... Nevertheless; on her very birthday we and some very nice people we got to know during the stay went out. In the bar I ordered just for fun the drink "green fairy", which was two typos of absinth and some other stuff, on fire, in a 2,5dl glass. I did not know it was happy hour, just noticed a heated argument in the bar over my drink, ate a very good dinner, and went go-karting, then bungie-jumping, and then clubbing, jumping all over the place. a very good night that was.

Now I am drinking fraction frozen wine from last year, 1/2 part kit-wine- 1/2 part homemade blueberry wine ca 29%. Pretty happy. :)

Edit:Wish there was a go-kart place in the neighbourhood :)

Last edited: