What are you drinking?

Never had any real reason to pay attention to it, but the Japanese connection got me thinking about something I remember being gifted with back in my Scotch phase - Suntory Yamazaki single malt. Turns out several of the fine ‘mericun bourbon, Canadian and Scottish whisky brands are currently owned by this company, who also have an extensive line of their own products.
Suntory | Brands

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hautes Côtes de Nuits, Domaine Joannet, Bourgogne.
The heavenly coincidence of blossom and fruit in the sacred wood.
Those superb pinot noirs, deep roots, gifted branches, tantalizing atmosphere. A warm day.
And the appitizer was a muscat from the Elzas, this flowery nectar that sobers awareness.

Cheerio,

Henry McKenna Single Barrel (10 year Bond) straight Kentucky bourbon whiskey.

One of the greatest whiskeys on the planet, and just $30/bottle.

Has taken Best Whiskey of Show two years in a row at the world tasting, with blind judging and blind scoring.

"Henry McKenna scored higher than the best Single Malt Scotch, Irish Whiskey, and Single Malt Whiskey, products that range in retail price from $70 – $150 per bottle."

Henry McKenna Won Best Whiskey at the 2019 San Francisco World Spirits Competition

What is the mystique of single malt whiskys when you can appeal to a wider audience with a blend?
I've pondered essentially the same question about coffee. Especially with espresso & other strong brews, single-origin coffee tends toward one or two strong flavor notes, which is OK if you like those flavors I guess. But after awhile it reminds me of a speaker system with peaky frequency response - lots of "character," but ultimately less satisfying than a good smooth blend.

I often go back to history to better understand a specific problem. For example, it is very useful to look at the history of the transformer; it turns out that the very first was a toroidal type. You can also see a history of food or alcohol. For example, coffee or bourbon was very widespread during the development of the western United States and Alaska, because they were stimulants or doping in the modern sense.
Beer in the Middle Ages in Europe, where the plague raged, was a water preservative. The very first wine appeared and, apparently, immediately for pleasure.
In Russia, before Peter the Great, they did not drink alcohol and did not smoke until this innovator brought tobacco and alcohol from the Netherlands to Russia. Then Mendeleev improved vodka, determining that the optimal percentage of alcohol is 40 degrees. During the war, soldiers were given vodka before the battle to gain courage and endurance. They also let the wolf drink to the horses so that they could better carry the cart. But old experienced warriors never drank vodka before the battle.
Now I understand people who drink cocoa instead of coffee, because time has become calmer. But I don’t understand people who drink strong alcohol when there are so many first-class wines in the world, although there is even more bad wine. Perhaps because the whiskey market is more transparent?

hmmm a worm in the tequila.

Attachments

• tequila-worm-header.jpg
    tequila-worm-header.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 125
Why not have both ? Wine and whiskey (or cognac, marc, etc) both have their place.

Spending $50-100 on a bottle of fine strong liquor or $30-50 on a bottle of wine sort of stops you from gulping it all down in a second.
You/we/I pick nice stuff to enjoy the taste and after the first glass your/our/my taste buds are down and out and there's reason to go further ...

I have a small (37,5cl) bottle of El Cortejo that I will have with that salmon and shrimp sandwich today.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Mrs. J whipped up a couple of La Paloma cocktails in the late afternoon, and they were delicious. She uses fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice instead of grapefruit soda, and agave nectar instead of simple syrup; I think these make a big difference.

These online recipes give a rough sketch of the drink; they are simpler but not nearly as good IMO.

BTW Trader Joes sells some damn good pink grapefruit juice, squeezed not reconstituted from frozen concentrate. It's in the same cooler as the yogurt.

Last edited: