What are good 8" drivers for a 2-way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
.... "Home Gym" speaker .....)

Ah, ok
Maybe also look at the special 10" Seas(former Dynaco)

Below is what I think might be a nice design
Looks like I have no idea about speakers
But there is more to it than that
Its based on experiences I have just now
I sold my speakers and had to throw something together
Which I did within a day
Gave me this idea, which may remind somewhat of a Carlson
I believe it has potential

Attachments

• New speaker.JPG
    New speaker.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 783
This time the woofer looks better
But tweeter definately doesnt
Better go fore at tweeter with low 500hz Fs

Tho, Im not sure why choosing 8"
The choise of 8" should be justified by higher sensitivity, and better lows
But really isnt

The woofer; I agree with you
Why use an 8" inch; I somewhat agree with you

But the tweeter?
Absolutely NOT agree with you.
The biggest problem with a 2-way 8" will be the power response, and not if the drivers overlap enough.
That tweeter is one rather cheap and easy solution. With a xo who flatten out the freq response, you will have low distortion, a good power response, enough overlap between drivers, and good SQ.
Probably end up with around 88-90dB/1w/1m.
Maybe a little low in the top octave, but thats much better than many other problems this kind of speaker can (and often will) end up with.
IMO of course! :)

If you are talking about true high end, An 8 is just too large to reach up to a tweeter unless you are doing some horn like thing. (GEDLEE) Heck, a 6 1/2 is not quite there. 5 inch is more like it. I have yet to find a tweeter really happy below 2000, and you would be lucky to get an 8 to stay in the smooth range above 800. The more speakers I build, the more I am drifting back to a three way. Think back to the old decade rule: 20-200, 200-2000, 2000 to 20000. Still true.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
5 inch is more like it.

Nah, more like a 4" really :D

But hey, its fore a "gym room"
I suppose its fore blues funky rythms, not delicate bach, or ?

Nxt questions
Music?
SPL?
Amp?
Room size?

The new 12" Beyma coax I suggested, yeah it may look a bit rough, but xovers are there fore that too
And if it pumps some serious heavy bass, who cares, when moving pedals like crazy, or jumping up and down:tilt::p
Yeah, rythmik bass is the key
l

Last edited:
I suppose there are a few reasons why 8" two ways are rare, but imo the biggest reason would most likely be size.

People usually want small loudspeakers.

If you're of the variety that doesn't mind large loudspeakers then you probably want to do it right, and that means going three way.

A three way has so many natural advantages over a two way, it doesn't really make sense to go with a two way, if you don't mind a decent sized box.

There are of course many ways to skin a cat, but if you're going to build a box that can house an 8" driver, there's generally enough real estate left on the front baffle to accommodate a decent mid dome along with a tweeter.

That said an appropriately designed two way with an 8" driver isn't necessarily any worse then an appropriately designed two way with a 6.5" driver, and there's probably more of them around then anything else.

An 8" done right would be something like...

Dayton Reference RS225

It uses readily available, high value, drive units with a very good and well documented design.

BMS, new to me. Thanks.

I have used several Dayton Reference units. Like all metal cones, very hard to deal with. Low crossover due to bad break up modes. They do have low distortion in their range. Value is great if you use them well. I am becoming a die-hard pulp guy.

Heard good things about the Beyma and several of the PA midrange drivers class in 8 inch.

Tin, what is the link between Seas and Dynaco you mention?

Sealed box recommended. Hmmm. If I remember the A25 was a damped port. Tuned to spec was part of their marketing. Testing brain cells way back there though.

Anyway, this unit sure would not reach up to a tweeter. Need a mid-range for sure. I would not take it above 1K.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Which may imply that Seas was the original supplier to Dynaco? Cool.

Sure, back in the seventies I could tell it was SEAS, just by looking at the big surround :D
It was home built DIY, so I just thought it was some stupid SEAS kit
Back then multiways usually sucked, and I was more fond of fullrange and horns
So I was a bit surpriced about how this relatively small 2way speaker rocked
Wall mounted, 8 feet up, ofcourse :rolleyes:

No, it shouldnt do 2khz, but history shows it does
Tho I think I would implement a bit of "mild taming" above 1khz
But sure, a wave guide on tweeter might be a good idea, but makes the box bigger
But you are right, its not going to be absolute highend

Personally I would rather try the new 12" Beyma coax
Tho, I am actually in the process of building a classic vintage style 3way monitor

Attachments

• MIVOC.PNG
    MIVOC.PNG
    41.6 KB · Views: 895
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Speaking of 10"

This new 10" B&C looks interesting
Stamped chassis, so probably cheap too
B&C SPEAKERS

60hz Fs is a bit high
But Qts of 0.39 means its possible to get some bass
10mm p-p xmax is good
Flat box on the wall, maybe it works
Yea, 35liter BR tuned to 40-45hz, 3" port looks good
Should cope with 10watt, at 103db:hot::D

Last edited:
Seems that Seas CA22RNY is very fine for largish 2-way.
THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1471-08 CA22RNY

Enclosure about 28-35 liters tuned somewhere between 32-42 Hz.

What do you think, what kind of tweeter/XO would be the most suitable with 8 incher? I know, there is beaming in midrange with 8" cone. How about if we let there be some BBC dip in 2-3 kHz (crossover region)?

Something like Harbeth M30/C7
harbeth_m30_800.jpg

---

edit. didn't notice that Salas had done it already. Any measuments? How much BSC? Enclosure?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.