Wharfedale W60 Tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for someone or somewhere to rebuild a wharfedale W60 8 ohm tweeter. Or, someone that has one for sale. The voice coil is smoked. It reads 6.4 ohms DC Resistance but you can see the coil all messed up and nothing but a little screaching sound when connected to an amp. Thank you. Compaxa12.

Pics are essential so that we know which version of the W60 you are talking about and the type of tweeter.

Better off IMO to source replacement tweeters for both enclosures as most ( but not all) Wharfedale tweeters were underwhelming, to say the least...repair of your tweeter, while not impossible, is probably not your best course of action

I am in the same boat. Burned Voice coil. I have the w70 alnicos with a paper dust cap. gold paint no back sticker. edges were foam not felt and there was no spider that I can find. only a small foam dampener behind the dust cap. I am going to take a shot at a home brew re-edge. The voice coil is another matter. No suppliers or ma and pop speaker shops will touch the job. I am thinking of using a coil from another (read cheaper) Super3 model such as the ceramic models which are more plentiful and may have same guts. Any thoughts?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The tweeter that is described by Rockaway appears to be the earlier version of the Super 3 that used a straight sided paper cone and a flat foam plastic surround.The voice coil wire is aluminium.The later ceramic magnet version is an improvement (cough!) of sorts but uses a different frame and may not readily fit into the original cut out of the enclosure.Pictures would help,but there is a case for a modern replacement that can be crossed over at around 1 kHz.

Compaxa12, are you still looking for tweeters? I have the same issue as you and was able to pickup a pair of "good" tweeters on ebay. Turns out that the surrounds are rotted but they have good voice coils. I only need one of these and would be willing to part with the other.

I also want to ask others for comments on replacing the surrounds. They are the felt type. I imagine they are wool felt doped with something. One suggestion was to use thinned driveway caulk. That suggestion got some negative responses but having used that material, I kind of like the idea. It's polyurethane and is highly pliant and elastic. I wanted to know if anyone had been successful with this and what material was used for felt and dope.

Early W60 Tweeter = "PST4"

Looking for someone or somewhere to rebuild a wharfedale W60 8 ohm tweeter. Or, someone that has one for sale. The voice coil is smoked. It reads 6.4 ohms DC Resistance but you can see the coil all messed up and nothing but a little screaching sound when connected to an amp. Thank you. Compaxa12.

The tweeters in my early W60s look like this picture. They are referred to in the period catalogs as PST4 (a thin layer of polystyrene is glued to the face of the cone), and are approx 4.5 inches dia.

They are not the "Super 3"s posted above. Those were installed in W70s, W90s, and a few earlier UK models.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• DSC00786.jpg
    DSC00786.jpg
    859.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00785 (Custom).JPG
    DSC00785 (Custom).JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00795 (Custom).JPG
    DSC00795 (Custom).JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 54
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.