• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Western Electric New 300B made in USA 2018

Attachments

• 287F5134-CE45-4D14-ACEF-A98C44DA79CB.JPG
    287F5134-CE45-4D14-ACEF-A98C44DA79CB.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 306
  • F31F60D3-0378-4943-B718-9895798ECEBF.JPG
    F31F60D3-0378-4943-B718-9895798ECEBF.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 299
thanks , happy new year too

@ Nicoch58 and Diyers

Happy DIY New Year :cheers:
Hope Western Electric understand the large potential to find more customers are sales products for DIY kits
( tubes with output transformers and chokes ) and more different tubes, compresion drivers etc.
Incrase ready high 300B pair price from 1299$ to 1499$ don't help to make long therm sucessful company business :)

I got my pre-ordered matched pair about a month ago. About a year and a half wait. I was a little surprised to tell the truth.

I'm still waiting on my Elio...

Anyway, the tubes went in my Elekit TU8600 previously upgraded with Mundorf supreme silver oil and Lundahl trafos and the sound was good from the start. No break in required. Better than the gold lions and better than the JJ's. Keeps getting better every day.

Expensive yes but I'm glad I bought 'em!

From Stereophile - Gramophone Dreams #27: EleKit TU-8600R amplifier kit Page 2
The reliability and distinctive sound of Electro-Harmonix's EH 300B might stem from the fact that Matthews specifies only a "double carbonate" (calcium and barium) emissive layer on its cathode. Omitting a third layer (strontium) makes the cathode less emissive, but makes this tube model measure more consistently from sample to sample. Leaving out the strontium may also let the tube's sound character remain at a more even level throughout the tube's working life.

And if memory serves me, Western Electric's psychedelic 300A tube differed from WE's more analytical-sounding 300B in one crucial way: Like the EH 300B, the 300A's emitter had a double-carbonate cathode. When they added a layer of strontium, they changed the designation to 300B.
With the Elrog 300B TT, as of today a 300B amp has all 3 types of heater in current production accessible, the psychedelic, the dynamic and the airy.

Nice and wonderful. :)

Only the tube 300B is good enough, because the next Japanese person's little tip trembles with excitement when he sees it.
Then add some seasoning in the accompanying text: ........ once ...... a breakthrough ........ new world of tubes discovered ..... never again anything else ..... Music in the fast lane of the hifidele life ...... yeah, that's it!

Stay with your tube amp, regardless of which electron tube it uses. Because to design a good amp could be done with every good tube. Important is to have a good design and not a mediocre or bad one, good parts but no boutique parts are necessary and experience in the good building practice of tube amps. Anything else is just secondary.

Last edited: