Western Electric 15A Small SATO horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend also preparing the coil for the two way 300 hz crossover (JBL 2482 (16 ohms) and Altec 416 8B (8 ohms)

View attachment 638839

Such textbook-standard crossover values NEVER work very well with real drivers.

It would be a shame to impair the performance of this potentially very fine system by limiting yourself to such bog-standard formulas.

I advise measuring the unfiltered response first, and then designing a proper passive crossover aiming for the actual acoustic transfer functions.

Marco

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Norelco, we've discussed this before and I also agree 100% with Marco - that is not even a good starting place. Unless you just want the most basic, not adapted, thing you can get. There is no need to waste money on such a crossover.

You'll need to measure, measure, measure and then use software to figure out your crossover. There is plenty of good measurement software available for free, and a decent measurement rig isn't expensive. You owe it to yourself and to the horns.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
REW is the software to get, but it can be a little tough to learn. There are plenty of people to help with it, tho. REW (room EQ Wizard) runs on Windows, MAC and Linux. HOLMImpulse is also good by no longer supported. It's easier to learn than REW and has some nice features. Windows only. ARTA is very nice, but not free except in demo mode.

For the crossover work you can get XSim which was written by Bill Waslo, a forum member, or Jeff Bagby's PCD which runs in Excel. There are others, but those are the ones I use.

I have both DATS and rew with minidsp microphone, this three together they solve a lot of measurement problems! Minidsp itself is also good for sketching out ideas for crossover design and hearing them. I have built a 6 way horn system with them, and they sufficed. I plan to build a kind of sato horn this winter! not because I am looking to replace my system but I want to hear this design and I love building :) Congrats to you with your new horns!

Finally it reached my doorstep, my wife get shocked when she received the two monster box.. just waiting for my rotation, can’t wait to see and to hear this horn singing on top of my 360L onken

IMG_9888.JPG

Acoustically Abrupt

But that's no gradual transition, it's just a plain extension ring.
There will still be an abrupt round>square change of cross-section at the horn throat, with a concomitant disruption of the expansion law... not good...

The transition is acoustically transparent only until signal wave length becomes comparable to horn throat (and transition) dimensions; then diffraction will become acoustically apparent in system response at these and higher frequencies. This is also true for passage thickness in the horn neck bend as well. WHG

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.