Welcome to the new diyAudio platform - feedback wanted!

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I also have ads (but in a bottom popup banner), despite being a supporter. I can only remove them by enabling an popup and ad blocker for this site. I'd prefer not to have to do that as the popup blocker can sometimes interfere with the proper functioning of a website.

cheers, Derek
Hi Derek

Those ads are "rogue" - they appeared magically overnight - and we have been debugging this morning. It appears that google decided we weren't serving ads enough and unilaterally started injecting "experiments" into the site. Gave me conniptions when I saw them. Anyway - they should be gone now. Sorry that you were afflicted with them too. Please do let me know if you get more of them subsequent to this post. (Screenshot too please).

GerardV

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
0, 1, and pi are hard-coded constants. ALL other numbers in programs should be variables.

Customer needs change. I was caught in CompuServe's "web forums" roll-out. Because CI$'s business plan had collapsed, they needed ads. In those days, page-static. So they decreed that ordinary members only got 3 posts per page-load. Select members could get 20/page. (In the previous interface, hundreds of posts could be captured in a minute.... do we want to go back to off-line reading?)
They didn't think any crazy audio folk would want to see 100 or more new posts at a time.
The issue with the front page posts is its the same post count setting for everyone. Okay on a fast connection on desktop to load 100 posts, but on mobile not so good. We will find a solution. We will need time. Going to need to modifty the code and there be dragons. . . .

Geee... Another "new and improved' site . Disease of 2021 it seems. Salesman passed through your town then?
Sadly... as with most all improvements... it simply isn't, IMO it's lesser.. Yes men bleats aside.
Now it's messed up, but with new graphics. Loonger Looower Wiiider. :rolleyes: strikes again.. the 60s revisited.
As example: What happened to the DIY Audio storefront??
Replaced by a Forum .. Really !? What happened to the straightforward shopfront where one Sees and Buys.. or Not.

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Geee... Another "new and improved' site . Disease of 2021 it seems. Salesman passed through your town then?
Sadly... as with most all improvements... it simply isn't, IMO it's lesser.. Yes men bleats aside.
Now it's messed up, but with new graphics. Loonger Looower Wiiider. :rolleyes: strikes again.. the 60s revisited.
As example: What happened to the DIY Audio storefront??
Replaced by a Forum .. Really !? What happened to the straightforward shopfront where one Sees and Buys.. or Not.
Thank you for sharing. We had to update the software because the old software was no longer supported. The forum is free for people to use although a few of our members donate to support the running costs. The diyAudio store forum (the store is a different business) is accessible in the marketplace. Here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/forums/the-diyaudio-store.160/ and the store itself remains at diyaudiostore.com as before. Enjoy browsing the site - it is a work in progress and we will continue to improve it as we go, building on the useful and constructive comments of our large and supportive membership.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It appears that pdfs now cannot be viewed as before the changeover, but now only downloaded. If that is true it will be inconvenient to download and save every schematic, even if a quick glance is necessary to follow a discussion.

I tried to search this thread if the point had been made, but it appears this thread cannot be searched. Am I missing something?

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Where has the Wiki-Page was gone?

I try to find the article on the wiki page, but I could not find it out...
Hmm. Thanks for pointing that out - there's meant to be a link in the footer but when I went to find it for you I found it broken instead. I'll raise a ticket to get that fixed.

In the meanwhile th told wiki is here: https://www.diyaudio.com/archive/oldwiki/

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It appears that pdfs now cannot be viewed as before the changeover, but now only downloaded. If that is true it will be inconvenient to download and save every schematic, even if a quick glance is necessary to follow a discussion.

I tried to search this thread if the point had been made, but it appears this thread cannot be searched. Am I missing something?
I'll see about getting this fixed.

Thank you for sharing. We had to update the software because the old software was no longer supported. The forum is free for people to use although a few of our members donate to support the running costs. The diyAudio store forum (the store is a different business) is accessible in the marketplace. Here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/forums/the-diyaudio-store.160/ and the store itself remains at diyaudiostore.com as before. Enjoy browsing the site - it is a work in progress and we will continue to improve it as we go, building on the useful and constructive comments of our large and supportive membership.
Would it be worth having a more prominent button linking to the store at the top navigation bar. On the 'marketplace' tab for example?

It took a while, but I found what seems to be the only direct link on the footer which is quite far down when looking on the forum index page.

Why I am leaving...
1) To get the 'Classic view' I have to log in. more clicks more mouse more time.
2) The front page is frenetic....it keeps adding, changing, in a live way before I can read and select.
3) Can't find 'last post' to follow a thread...
4) Flat,austere, and perhaps appeals to the smartphone generation but has lost this book reader.
5) Looks so alike to any other modern site.....

Thanks for all the fish ! and best wishes to you all.:) I realise there are compromises involved in this major upgrade and recognise the great effort by the team....sadly the underlying software is just too 'modern' and cookie-cutter for me to be comfortable with.

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Would it be worth having a more prominent button linking to the store at the top navigation bar. On the 'marketplace' tab for example?

It took a while, but I found what seems to be the only direct link on the footer which is quite far down when looking on the forum index page.
While building this new site I think went yes no yes no on this a few times. I'm going to leave this for Jason to look at. We have in mind though doing a second run at the visual hierarchy to make things easier to find, and easier on the eye, plus creating a more information dense layout for those who want that. There's still a lot to do but we decided to move onto XenForo to do them for efficiency and to get off the old system before it collapsed.

It is a good idea though, I think.