W5-1611sa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

Im enjoying my project a lot.
TB sounds really good .I havent found need for twitter yet .So far so good.
My tube amp is bit weak for them but vintage Hitachi amp gives so much bass , hard to beleive.
I've got a question guys.Is it much defference beetwen Alpair 10 and Alpair 10.2?.
10.2 is still expencive and 10 now is resonable priced.

best regards
Marian

Depends; the alpair 10 (first edition) is a much better speaker than the TB w5.
The alpair 10.2 is even better. All I can say is that the alp 10.1 sounds really smooth and forgiving; even relative bad recordings sound OK. So if you can get it cheap, it can still be a nice upgrade. If the prices aren more or less equal, get the alp 10.2...

I just can't let this stay so.

If Alpair 7(which I own) is equal good as Alpair 10 v.1(do not own), then for ME there is no competition, TB W5 is better. It's one of the rare drivers in it's class that has such good tonality... And I'm not the only one with this opinion...

W5 is for me equal good as Coral Flat 5II, but different, Coral is bright and cold, TB is smooth and warm, but both of them deliver EMOTION- the main thing why I enjoy listening to music.

Last edited:
that's not important for the topic, if you don't get it whats emotion all about, then I can't explain it, because it's not a thing that could be explained.

@planet10
then the A10.2 should be much better then A7 (what I doubt, but maybe I will buy A10.2 just to compare)

Last edited:
I own all three. Compared to the A7 and A10, the TB just doesn't have the same zip. It doesn't hold my attention like the Alpairs do. Now understand that I drive my speakers with a good T-amp. What you tube guys hear may be different.

As to ranking the two Alpairs, the A7 is hands down better with a sub. The A10 is true stand-alone and I guess that is why I have the A10s in my 2-ch setup now.

Bob

I own all three. Compared to the A7 and A10, the TB just doesn't have the same zip. It doesn't hold my attention like the Alpairs do. Now understand that I drive my speakers with a good T-amp. What you tube guys hear may be different.

As to ranking the two Alpairs, the A7 is hands down better with a sub. The A10 is true stand-alone and I guess that is why I have the A10s in my 2-ch setup now.

Bob

BINGO to the 7.3 / 10.2 "comparison"

Bob, your TP60 is no doubt a superior sounding T-amp the TP30, or Kingrex T20, which are my personal frame of reference. What us "tube guys" (think we) hear can vary widely depending on the amps topology (and our expectations) - I have a range from DHT (2A3) to EL34 SE to EL84 P/P pentode, and they all sound different from each other on any speaker.

I've not ventured to take the cover off my Denon HT receiver, out of curiosity, it's time to ask if anyone knows for sure what type of output device/topology such current models of receivers employ? When you have 5 or more channels of 75W power in a compact and fairly cool running component weighing in at only 20lbs or so, it's hard not to think "some type of digital" - particularly from folks like Denon or Sony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.