W3-871S Monitors Finished!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ph-en-om-en-al!

Baed on John Krutke's design.
finished_thumb_01.jpg

Here's the full writeup with lots of pics: http://www.vikash.info/audio/W3-871S/

Partnered with my new DAC (ala Peter Daniel) and LM3875 amp my music collection has been given a new lease of life ;) The bad recordings sound really bad now, and the good ones are mesmerizing.

I'm a fullrange beliver now. Which driver next...

Nice work ! The finish is particularly well done !

I just hope you have a sub because the TB has a weak low-end :rolleyes:

I've just finished my Home-Theater system for my parents using these drivers for the front and center speakers, loaded in ML-TQWT. I used the enclosure design (for the front speakers) to compensate the baffle step diffraction, and therefore avoid a notch filter.
They do work great and sound precise & natural though my Fostex FX120s do bring music to another level in terms of imaging and details, but the price is not the same

Here's a couple of photos of the completed system. I have not finished this website part, that's why there is no page concerning it right now. Coming soon !

http://youyoung21147.site.voila.fr/DSCF2905.JPG
http://youyoung21147.site.voila.fr/DSCF2907.JPG

I've since been playing around with the notch filter and I'm not convinced by it
I installed this notch from the CT209
http://www.visaton-bausaetze.de/hifi/ct209.htm
and had the same thought after a while.
At first it made perfect sense; somewhat more linear?, balanced like a good little 2-way -> BUT the fullrange character and some of the magic was gone -> notch OUT!

Which driver next...
Savour the TB for the moment but if you are really looking for a driver in that size that tops the TB by far have a look at the Veravox 3.

greets

Haha Nick, some things I find much easier now, others are just as bad as the old pice of dirt website. One thing they got rid of which I found extremely useful is the product map or whatever it's called, e.g. connectors > jack > 3.5mm so you can backtrack to a wider range from just one product that you like, if you aren't sure what category it may be in (and lets face it CPCs categorisations are not a strong point).

It made me cringe when they launched the website making out like they had developed if after listening to all the feedback. My a*** -- it's just the parent company's corporate website.

Vikash, thanks for the link.

And now that Jordan's have been brought up, I've a pair of JX92S running in my lounge right now and they are great, best imaging/soundstage I've heard. (Demos are welcomed as I'm developing a system around them.) Shame I've got to give them back in a while :bawling:

Vikash said:
Thanks.

I've since been playing around with the notch filter and I'm not convinced by it :xeye: The flatter response is welcomed, but it also sounds a touch less revealing too. I may have to try some more exotic notch components to see what happens...

How does your notch compare with the one in the pic?

Vikash said:
I chose them because they're a well known driver with a choice of designs around. I've read somewhere that the design turned out so well (the drivers) by chance. I may get some other models in depending on how well they do.

TB webpage confirms 0.5mm xmax. You need a sub.

I think TB XMAX is one way.

Attachments

• 30jul2005fortb.jpg
    30jul2005fortb.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 666
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Aura NS-3 seems to be another contender in the 3" driver sweeps.

Reading between th elines it was the clear winner in the group test John K did (of the 2 he figured were standouts this one needs no filter). I've a pair but haven't listened to them yet. I do expect a pair of the kits to build the ones pictured below (consider it a tease -- i'll leave it to the member responsible to announce his plans when he is ready). I will let you know how they sound when i get to listen to them. One thing for sure is that they are quite pretty.

dave

planet10 said:
The Aura NS-3 seems to be another contender in the 3" driver sweeps.

Reading between th elines it was the clear winner in the group test John K did (of the 2 he figured were standouts this one needs no filter). I've a pair but haven't listened to them yet. I do expect a pair of the kits to build the ones pictured below (consider it a tease -- i'll leave it to the member responsible to announce his plans when he is ready). I will let you know how they sound when i get to listen to them. One thing for sure is that they are quite pretty.

dave

Where does it talk about this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.