VSSA Through-Hole Version by Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have not had a chance to get a proper listen to the VSSA yet until I fix my incorrect pot issue. However, I can comment on perhaps a general observation of my own amps that use the 2SK/2SJ lateral FETs vs ones that use the IRFP vertical FETs. My vertical FET amps seem to be more dynamic, and more powerful sounding bass, even at lower volumes relative to the lateral FET ones. It may be that the music is more accurately portrayed with the lateral FETs, but the verticals seem to give it more authority. This has been my experience with a limited sample of: FX8, FX8 Bimo vs FH9, FH9HV, VHEX+.

The VSSA is a current feedback amp, so maybe it will be totally different and blow me away when I get to properly listen to it?
Agree 100%
bass range isn't deep using laterals.
I prefer those for the other ranges

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know it that is the amp or the speakers that are flattening out at low volume. It could even be the listening environment. There are a lot of factors that go into what we think we hear.

I would have to say it's the amp. I've listened to a bunch of different amps on these same speakers in the same room and have noticed this. These are highly efficient speakers (102 - 105db, manufacturers specs seem to vary). I haven't noticed this on my test speakers that are lower efficiency, but the volume is turned higher on them to get the same low output.

Last edited:
I did that off the of my head. Yes FX8 also.I'm sure if I did through my pile I would find others that I forgot as well. Soundcraftmen 800 comes to mind now too. The point is, you will find far more commercial amps that use lateral MOSFET than you will ever find with vertical. Verticals are less expensive so why do you suppose laterals were so much more common? For their sound and durability.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Despite incorrect VAS current - as I await the 1k pots to come in, I have been listening to this amp in mono. Sounds very nice - probably best word to say is it is very neutral. Doesn't add or take anything to the music. Running about 175mA bias - perhaps more would sound even better? Jazz trios are very very nice.

One other alternative is to cut the trace to the pot and solder a small 500R SMT resistor in series to get the adjustment range I need?

Edit: I think the current feedback topology makes the latFETs sound better for bass. I do not sense lack of it with the test tracks so far. But an AB test with a vertical hexFET is the best way to tell - so will do that when I am up in stereo. So far very pleased though.

One more thing, the Aliexpress latFETs are holding their own - I do believe these are genuine Hitachi's pulled from an old amp somewhere. They sound nice and are taking the heat well. :) Lucked out again as I paid $5.50/pair...

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My bag of 50 1k trimpots came in today so I replaced all the CCS pots. VAS current is now properly set at 160mV across the 10R resistor. Overall quiescent current is 160mA. Zero offset is about 1mV.

The amp sounds very nice, distortion is low - perhaps lower than FX8. Measurements of the speaker show speaker distortion only. Bass is not lacking, very articulate and well controlled.

Something is not right though because this amp seems to be too cool for a 160mA bias current. The heatsink is barely warm. I know my FX8 at the same bias is quite warm with same heatsink. So I am not sure what is different given that I am measuring 1.60v drop across the 10R x 10w safety resistor on the power rail.

Last edited:
VSSA comparing (possible?) to FX8

Hallo X.

The amp sounds very nice, distortion is low - perhaps lower than FX8. Measurements of the speaker show speaker distortion only. Bass is not lacking, very articulate and well controlled.
What did you mean is it possible to comparing?
I like the FX8 too but different reason.
First i have WAKE UP ! the LatMos- also the Aliexpress ones with little
2 Ampere and nothing blowing up, that could be good LatMos- old Stock Parts- where ever the little clever Chinese picked them up ! :D :eek:
I have compared it with Tech DIY bought- and the plastic case looks equally.

After fixing my bad idea to use different Input LTP without 180° rotation pinout the Amp is well biased and fine working.
After 2 Weeks in use i registered a bit better sorted image and opens a bit more in wide.
The Rest is a very clear detailed, not fatiguing presentation you can light follow.
On my VSSA i have find out that the Capacitor "Antenna" style is the most
reason for hum here- thanks to jwilhelm!
I continuous work on it to fit it on more size esthetic heat sink.

I like to describe it as clear and accurate. I feel some that are used to a 'fatter' sounding amplifier often will describe the bass as lacking. After a while you realize how much detail is there and really begin to appreciate it for its own merits.
Yes :yes: i agree.

Here my Chinese LatMos.

:cheers: Bangla

Attachments

• PIC_0305.jpg
    PIC_0305.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 635
  • PIC_0324.jpg
    PIC_0324.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 622
  • PIC_0328.jpg
    PIC_0328.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 624
Hallo.
Yes we all are a bit in twice about that parts.
In moment i have nothing negative to say, but for better trust the next i will buy from
our German distributor Reichelt- meanman gives me the advise to do so. For better
sleeping.
still4given i also was looking to Tayda- not much in Sortiment but good i could see.

On other hand xrk is like a dog who's sniffing low or budget priced parts...he...he...!

Cheers Bangla

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
In stereo

I replaced the 470uF caps (all I had on hand earlier) with some Sanyo 1000uF 50v caps, and mounted both boards on one heatsink (fan assisted). Now playing in stereo. Very nice :)

561437d1469276011-vssa-through-hole-version-jason-vssa-stereo-1.jpg

Closeup:
561438d1469276011-vssa-through-hole-version-jason-vssa-stereo-2.jpg

Testing natural convention (no fan) in vertical orientation:
561440d1469276725-vssa-through-hole-version-jason-vssa-stereo-3-vertical.jpg

561441d1469276725-vssa-through-hole-version-jason-vssa-stereo-4-vertical.jpg

At moderate volumes, the vertical fan-free mode is not too hot. This is a pretty cool running amp.

Attachments

• VSSA-stereo-1.jpg
    VSSA-stereo-1.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 639
  • VSSA-stereo-2.jpg
    VSSA-stereo-2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,871
  • VSSA-stereo-3-vertical.jpg
    VSSA-stereo-3-vertical.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 3,051
  • VSSA-stereo-4-vertical.jpg
    VSSA-stereo-4-vertical.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,875
Last edited:
The 2200uF are part of the feedback network. I have never been a big believer in the sound of the components themselves as some of my most satisfying builds were 'junk box specials' made from either recycled parts or old crap I've had since forever that is of questionable pedigree.

Use in that position whatever you feel happy with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.