VSSA Through-Hole Version by Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And a quick pic of the product.

I used Sitopway for the job, as recommended several times and places by forum member nigelwright7557. Service was fast, same day quote and order processing with delivery in 11 days! The board house option is sweet, absolutely professional looking job.

Attachments

• IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    977.4 KB · Views: 1,332
Thanks for the interest folks. I began stuffing one of the boards last night but will need to order a few items to make them complete, hang tight.

I'm writing down forum usernames of those who have expressed interest and requested quantity. At this point if everyone who has asked already follows through I have 3 or 4 stereo sets remaining, dependant on how many I end up keeping for myself. If my option sees enough interest I can order more and do a proper group buy on a dedicated thread. I'm only looking to find homes for my surplus at the moment. In the interest of keeping PMI's thread reasonably clean for actual builds and technical discussion please PM or email me. It's a bummer when half the thread becomes PCB requests.

I'm looking to be approximately on par with PMI as far as pricing, so how will $20 in either CAD (my preferred currency) or USD (alternative if CAD isn't convenient) plus shipping sound? I would prefer to simply express post them - cheapest option with tracking - but if the buyer is willing to pay for an alternative service I can arrange faster postal service or a courier.

I will be sure to post my progress and results.

@Terry: You are on the top of the list ;), thanks for your vote of confidence.

I will try to put a decent documentation package together so as to maximize everyone's shot at first time success. When it is ready I'll post it as a PDF here and send a copy with the boards (similar to what I did with the TO-3 version).

I will likely send out the small signal devices with the boards unless someone says they do not want them. I have some KSA1220AY / KSA2960AY pairs if anyone would like to try them as VAS devices as well.

Hi Jason,

Which transistors are you using for the VAS in the boards you are building now?

Thanks, Terry

Terry,

Same ones I sent you for the TO-3 version, the KSA1220A / KSC2690A pair. If someone so chooses they can use whatever they would like. There is the popular KSA1381 / KSC3503 pair (member Sonnya has the E grade available), or the BD139 /BD140 pair. Just about any decent TO-126 device will work. The ones I chose were selected for relatively high gain in matching ranks, being inexpensive and available, having good Vceo, Ic, Pd and Ft ratings. Their only 'failing' is a high-ish Cob which I don't stress too much about.

I think they sound fine, how about you? I assume you used the ones I provided with your TO-3 build, yes?

A pair of mono boards for preference with x 2 PS bds - if available - please.......to UK.

[[If not one all singing stereo board.]

EDIT:

+ all devices as in post 337, below, please.:)

brianco,

I do not have any PSU boards, assuming you mean the capacitance multiplier PSU that PMI produced based on the design from MrEvil. This transaction will be solely for the amplifier boards and offered active components.

I may resume work on a version of my own PSU shortly, but as yet I can't offer one. Confirm with me if you are still interested in the VSSA boards I have as the list for the ones on hand is close to full.

Terry,

Same ones I sent you for the TO-3 version, the KSA1220A / KSC2690A pair. If someone so chooses they can use whatever they would like. There is the popular KSA1381 / KSC3503 pair (member Sonnya has the E grade available), or the BD139 /BD140 pair. Just about any decent TO-126 device will work. The ones I chose were selected for relatively high gain in matching ranks, being inexpensive and available, having good Vceo, Ic, Pd and Ft ratings. Their only 'failing' is a high-ish Cob which I don't stress too much about.

I think they sound fine, how about you? I assume you used the ones I provided with your TO-3 build, yes?

Hi Jason,

Yes, I used the devices you sent. That TO-3 VSSA is very impressive. I am running it from a 25-0-25vac and Mr Evil/PMI cap multiplier set to about +-37V rails.

I have ordered the KSA1381 / KSC3503 from Sonny for the NX-VSSA so I will have some extras if needed for this one. I have plenty BD139/140 as well so we'll see.

Blessings, Terry

Just missing some trimmers that the local junk-monger didn't have :(, hopefully I'l be able to finish QC so we can arrange distribution of the surplus. I did make a few compromises on this one to get it stuffed (I ordered more of the Nicicon FG for the 1000uF locations, I only had KW on hand).

And yes, I caught the reversed capacitor and corrected it. Just a tip for anyone getting these boards - they are plated holes which makes rework more difficult, assemble carefully the first time.

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    853.7 KB · Views: 1,133
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    863.2 KB · Views: 1,052
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.