Volume Attenuator Transformer - DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've wound many small electric motors - it's not very hard once you do a few. Has anyone seen a DIY design for winding your own volume attenuator transformer? This seems like a straight forward project, but the design part is beyond me - though I think I could wind it.

Please let me know if you're aware of any DIY transformer designs for volume attenuation.

Thanks

I am unsure what you are thinking about. Perhaps a transformer with switchable taps?

If you want to make a transformer for high quality audio, it's not a simple matter. You have to get a good core, calculate the inductance, then wind in a pattern that minimizes distributed capacitance. The secondary must not couple capacitively to the primary except perhaps on the 'cold' end. The impedance level will dictate the inductance; the latter must offer a high reactance at the lowest frequency of interest.

My comments still apply. I suggest you read an engineering text on transformer design, in particular audio, and you will learn the parameters. I would not recommend a seat of the pants approach due to so many important factors.

On the other hand, no harm done if you want to have some fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.