Volume Attenuator Transformer - DIY?

NYCOne

2010-07-13 6:27 pm
I've wound many small electric motors - it's not very hard once you do a few. Has anyone seen a DIY design for winding your own volume attenuator transformer? This seems like a straight forward project, but the design part is beyond me - though I think I could wind it.

Please let me know if you're aware of any DIY transformer designs for volume attenuation.

Thanks

bob91343

2010-03-11 10:43 pm
I am unsure what you are thinking about. Perhaps a transformer with switchable taps?

If you want to make a transformer for high quality audio, it's not a simple matter. You have to get a good core, calculate the inductance, then wind in a pattern that minimizes distributed capacitance. The secondary must not couple capacitively to the primary except perhaps on the 'cold' end. The impedance level will dictate the inductance; the latter must offer a high reactance at the lowest frequency of interest.

bob91343

2010-03-11 10:43 pm
My comments still apply. I suggest you read an engineering text on transformer design, in particular audio, and you will learn the parameters. I would not recommend a seat of the pants approach due to so many important factors.

On the other hand, no harm done if you want to have some fun.