VituixCAD

Vitiuix CAD used to work ok on my Windows 7 VirtualBox machine. However, today I got a message saying "VituixCAD has stopped working" (see attached screenshot). I thought this might be some Windoze hickup, but other programs like Firefox work as expected. I have no clue about Windows, so I am pretty lost... What's going on here?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-02-24 14-05-14.png
    Screenshot from 2019-02-24 14-05-14.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 262
May me i start to be blind but do not find the link to access to the driver database online from DIY Loudspeakers Kimmo Saunisto

Online database is read to grid instead of local by checking "Online database" close to top right corner:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The second place you can use online database is updating local database:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

..Windows 7 VirtualBox machine...

Unfortunately I can't help much with virtual machines on macOS or Linux.
If program is able to start, installed .NET versions are listed in the end of text box in About window. Minimum requirement is .NET 4.0. This is how it looks in native Win 10 machine up to date:

Some bad user setting has probably prevented program starting in some (rare) cases. User settings are saved in subdirectories of C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kimmo_Saunisto". AppData is hidden directory. Remove all directories below 'Kimmo_Saunisto' to reset all settings to initial/default values. Shouldn't be necessary to reboot or uninstall and reinstall, but those can be done to ensure clean installation.

Some bad user setting has probably prevented program starting in some (rare) cases. User settings are saved in subdirectories of C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kimmo_Saunisto". AppData is hidden directory. Remove all directories below 'Kimmo_Saunisto' to reset all settings to initial/default values. Shouldn't be necessary to reboot or uninstall and reinstall, but those can be done to ensure clean installation.

The latest built of 2.0.13.4 (uploaded few minutes ago) is able to delete user.config file if loading of previous settings fails.
VituixCAD2_UserConfigReset.png

This clears MRU file list and other user settings to factory defaults, but program should be able to start.

Last edited:

That did the trick! Thanks!

That did the trick! Thanks!

Very good. This is globally 3rd occasion I'm aware of. It would be nice to know what user setting(s) could cause trouble as corrupted, but that would require problem in my development environment. I keep user settings directory quite clean, only for the last 2...3 revisions which probably helps with native Win 10.

New exception handing informs about severe file corruption, but that cannot prevent problems with value of some individual setting.

New Feature for consideration

Hi Kimmo,

I developed a tool in MS Excel (that frankly got to be far too complex) to design an enclosure with wedges to emulate a roundover. In my attempt, it can design either a standard enclosure or one with up to 3 wedges on each side. It predicts a box response (certainly a rough estimate). It also estimates the tuning of the box based upon the port size, amount of flare, and location of the internal opening of the port to estimate proximity effect on tuning . I used several sources of information to develop this but I would not swear by its accuracy. It then produces a cutlist to build the enclosure.

I realize that this would likely be a significant undertaking. In essence, I am wondering if this would be a project that you might consider adding to VituixCAD?

Thanks for considering this regardless of your decision.

...an enclosure with wedges to emulate a roundover

This sounds more mechanical designing than enclosure simulation.

location of the internal opening of the port to estimate proximity effect on tuning

In my experience designing so that internal opening is in free air close to cone is not the best choice. Vent should be aimed to opposite direction from cone(s) for example towards top wall, and there should be pile of damping material on that wall quite close to internal opening. Not too close though to avoid damping of HH resonator too much. This arrangement attenuates higher frequencies which reduces pressure of pipe resonances.
Of course we could simulate proximity effect, but I'm not sure that it's significant enough after pipe resonances are taken care of. Personally I don't give much value to "extreme" enclosure simulation due to low significance in final sound.

I agree, Kimmo, with the location issue. The proximity effect occurs regardless of front, side or back placement but there are phasing issues based upon placement but these are likely pretty minor, as well. I find and my calculations seem to suggest less than a dB or two variance. I am not certain of phase differences/interference with different placement of the port. Certainly flares make a difference in port capacity.

Regarding the enclosure designing piece, I agree with you that it is more mechanical design. It is somewhat simpler than everything else that you have created here and it was just a thought it might be a nice touch for a soup to nuts design piece of software. I really appreciate all of your efforts and your program so I am certainly not complaining.

I did try running the new version first, which crashed in the same way as my previous version. Only after I deleted the settings I got it working again.

New built of revision 2.0.13.4 is available, uploaded this morning (10:53 GMT+2). I just tried to guess what values could cause error on virtual machine or with some special localization setting. No guarantee that it's better than previous trial.

^I can look your excel sheet and consider adding some features in case I understand enough. Adequate brain capacity is not so certain anymore :)

Hi Kimmo,
I am currently traveling but will send it to you when I get home. I will try to extricate the page that the build is on as I have it as part of a series of pages that I use to support my speaker building and most would not be of use to you.
It was put together over a few years and I was not intending it for public consumption so I apologize ahead of time as the links are all over the page. I will also unlock the page but it at any time a password is requested, please let me know and I will email it to you.
Thanks,
Jay