Visaton subwoofer at home

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It would be nice if you have access to something better...
From offered, my choice would be W 250 (TL or closed box) or W 200 (TL, vented or closed box).
If main usage is for surround (home theater) than W 250 in a low tuned vented box will do. Don't expect audiophile quality with this.

It would be nice if you have access to something better...
From offered, my choice would be W 250 (TL or closed box) or W 200 (TL, vented or closed box).
If main usage is for surround (home theater) than W 250 in a low tuned vented box will do. Don't expect audiophile quality with this.

What is something better? I dont think T-line suits me. I am looking for some quick and deep bass(as deep as possible with the current options).

Last edited:
Considering the use "sub", none. Now let's see,
You could use them OB or in large sealed speakers. Let's check them overall,
I would use the W 250 - 8 Ohm as a woofer, and not a sub, in an OB like application or sealed (~100/120L) Dahlquist DQ-10 style. You can use ~50W RMS with "no" distortion in this case (sealed) and it is 92.6 dB/2.83V/m.:cool:
Now the VISATON W200, this would be more interesting but again, the size of the speaker, it can work in a BR or sealed, if you can try a reflex of 120L@30Hz... to get some subs sonics and you can use the full power RMS about 40-50W.
The WS 25 E - 8 Ohm is an interesting woofer good for OB. Place it in the wall (literally) with an adjacent room as the enclosure, or use it as a OB/baffle only. In a 120L sealed has one note only (~50Hz) and in OB or wall baffle it will sing lower frequencies, in this case about ~10-20W only.

Considering the use "sub", none. Now let's see,
You could use them OB or in large sealed speakers. Let's check them overall,
I would use the W 250 - 8 Ohm as a woofer, and not a sub, in an OB like application or sealed (~100/120L) Dahlquist DQ-10 style. You can use ~50W RMS with "no" distortion in this case (sealed) and it is 92.6 dB/2.83V/m.:cool:
Now the VISATON W200, this would be more interesting but again, the size of the speaker, it can work in a BR or sealed, if you can try a reflex of 120L@30Hz... to get some subs sonics and you can use the full power RMS about 40-50W.
The WS 25 E - 8 Ohm is an interesting woofer good for OB. Place it in the wall (literally) with an adjacent room as the enclosure, or use it as a OB/baffle only. In a 120L sealed has one note only (~50Hz) and in OB or wall baffle it will sing lower frequencies, in this case about ~10-20W only.

Visatons' homepage suggest three Bass Reflex boxes for W250 30L@43Hz, 50L@38Hz, 70L@38Hz. Why those bad option and Open Baffle is a solution?

What is something better? I dont think T-line suits me. I am looking for some quick and deep bass
With the listed models, it is impossible to have a "quick" bass with vented or closed box, because of their TS parameters (high Qts). They are good for OB, as Inductor pointed up, but I think that is not your idea for a sub. Transmission line box will have the most "quick" bass, compared to a vented or closed box.

Last edited:
Visatons' homepage suggest three Bass Reflex boxes for W250 30L@43Hz, 50L@38Hz, 70L@38Hz. Why those bad option and Open Baffle is a solution?
Yes, read my lips, as a woofer (2/3-ways) not as a sub.
Nice woofer.
For a sub 70L@38Hz you get a high Q (not desirable), you will need extension in LF, and F3~50Hz. Simulate them yourself instead of asking questions without trying.;)

This is what I made:
Fs; 45hz
Port length: ~1.9m
Port Area: ~207cm^2
Woofer: Visaton W200 8"
25.6x24.2x99.2

Attachments

• front 3d.jpg
    front 3d.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 277
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
There are many possibilities with these speakers ....
Only two, I built on my own:

W200S in 39l vented box (called W20.39 by Visaton, just look at their homepage).
This is a great woofer for a small room if you don't have massive ambitions regarding level ... I used that one for years.

W250 (8 Ohm) in a relatively small closed box. That is what I use currently for music, two of them back to back to cancel movement, don't have the exact numbers, but some 40l each. With a bit of active equalization it is linear down to 40Hz and has no relevant dynamic limits in a room with 20 m^2

Disclaimer: I'm 49, not 19 so my expectations regarding level might differ from yours ;-)

There are many possibilities with these speakers ....
Only two, I built on my own:

W200S in 39l vented box (called W20.39 by Visaton, just look at their homepage).
This is a great woofer for a small room if you don't have massive ambitions regarding level ... I used that one for years.

W250 (8 Ohm) in a relatively small closed box. That is what I use currently for music, two of them back to back to cancel movement, don't have the exact numbers, but some 40l each. With a bit of active equalization it is linear down to 40Hz and has no relevant dynamic limits in a room with 20 m^2

Disclaimer: I'm 49, not 19 so my expectations regarding level might differ from yours ;-)

I'm not really into "power" things. At the moment I can't make a decision which enclosure to choose. Probably going to make more calculation and take a break for 1 month. In the mean time going to look for amplifier. Thanks for the help everyone!

Do you get/have the Rockford Fosgate S4 or the S8? (manual? linked)
They are good in a sealed (LT optional) or 4.wave/TL type.
They will have more dB's on the 20-50Hz LF in a BR 70's+/90 liter.
In a sealed 40L you can have F10@24Hz
In a BR 90.0L@23Hz you can have F3@22Hz. You can also tune it higher say a 70L@32Hz for a higher Qt.
You have here already 3 different patterns alignments.

Last edited:
Do you get/have the Rockford Fosgate S4 or the S8? (manual? linked)
They are good in a sealed (LT optional) or 4.wave/TL type.
They will have more dB's on the 20-50Hz LF in a BR 70's+/90 liter.
In a sealed 40L you can have F10@24Hz
In a BR 90.0L@23Hz you can have F3@22Hz. You can also tune it higher say a 70L@32Hz for a higher Qt.
You have here already 3 different patterns alignments.

I would like to go BR 50 liters@40hz and F3 ~32hz with a 50cm^2 port at 12cm length (90l@23hz is way too low for me to listen them at home). However what is better a BR or TL/4wave (i would tune it at 40hz)? I am going to use 8ohm speakers, because my amp operates only at 8 ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.