Visaton bg20?

If you cut the whizzer off it and use it with a 15" bass driver, you will need to make it a 3 way system. It's a fun driver to play around with it if you have the disposable money to buy them, otherwise it's a driver that i feel makes too many compromises to do everything

If you want to use it fullrange, leave the whizzer and try different enclosures to get the most bass out of it, then look at a BSC filter to tame its rising response

Thank you, but I was thinking leaving the bass to grs 15pr-8 15" (high QTS, good for OB ) on a wide open baffle (65-70cm) H-frames, and BG20 asa full range on a top of 120-140 cm toll speaker ( out of center)
I was thinking leave the whizzer, maybe just dumping around the rear side of whizzer or put a Damar paint on it, and most omportant question is , did anyone add a Phase plug instead of dust cap.

Project I would like to try, inexpensive and look promising:
Leave the bass to: grs 15pr-8 15" on a open baffle, H-frames, 65-70cm wide...120-140 tall
Fulll range on top, out of center of baffle, : visaton BG-20, question is: Did anyone try to put a phase plug instead of dust cap and leave the original whizzer, maybe just put a Damar paint on it and maybe also damping the rear of the whizzer

Here is my measurement of BG20 with and without whizzer (also without dust cap).
Ignore low frequencies, because they were measured on different position in room.

Attachments

• BG20_whizzer.png
    BG20_whizzer.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 578
I dont see why not. BG20 works nice in bass-reflex box and miniOnken is a variant of such system. Its a very good driver for money but still on low-end side and more suitable for PA than Hi-Fi so making a fancy box for it may not be cost effective.
I leave final answer to Dave (Planet10). Thats his design.

BG20 should load well in a Karlson K12 . BetsyK loaded very well in the first K12 (Karlsonette 1954) and could play loud with very little cone movement. BetsyK could benefit from a helper tweeter in Karlson applications.

FE206en needs no helper tweeter in K12/K8

A helper tweeter is needed for full brilliance with BG20 -it is too soft in balance -use something cheap but good like a TW51 type with 0.4-1o -1uF to roll in around 8KHz - perhaps varnish on the inside of the whizzer cone might extend BG20's treble a bit (?)

Attachments

• BG20-K12 vs KARLSONATOR 6 -L.CAO F6.jpg
    BG20-K12 vs KARLSONATOR 6 -L.CAO F6.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Welter k8 bg20 vs Karlsonette pym1298.jpg
    Welter k8 bg20 vs Karlsonette pym1298.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 106
BG20 should load well in a Karlson K12 . BetsyK loaded very well in the first K12 (Karlsonette 1954) and could play loud with very little cone movement. BetsyK could benefit from a helper tweeter in Karlson applications.

FE206en needs no helper tweeter in K12/K8

A helper tweeter is needed for full brilliance with BG20 -it is too soft in balance -use something cheap but good like a TW51 type with 0.4-1o -1uF to roll in around 8KHz - perhaps varnish on the inside of the whizzer cone might extend BG20's treble a bit (?)
Thanks. I wish to remove the whizzer. It suppose to be better sound. I dont have any box yet. Bg20 need a big box to get down in the bass.