viral projects, sort of

WBS, feel free to post pictures, this thread is just for fun while covid is still raging

I build many other amps, and rebuilt some older ones...

here is picture of two 2.1 amps based on LM1875 chips, cheap partsexpress board, with one chip for each channel and bridged out for sub, works fine

You make some cool stuff! I can't believe how long it's been since my last post. Watching my grandson 3 days a week has slowed me down quite a bit. :)

I have all the foam pieces cut and some assembled into panels. Photos soon, I promise!!!! :D

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
i have been working on a20 preamp
started work on MTM with peerless mids and hiquphon tweeter
both still work in progress

i have finished f1j amp, and will make another, this time just f1
since I like the sound of transconductance amps, i was experimenting with various chip amps, since they are cheap and available

here is my first prototype conversion of XY LM3886 chip amp
i will describe step by step procedure if anyone is interested in doing so
the sound is much more musical after the conversion

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 329
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here are some pictures, all three amps stacked, as well as all three separate power supplies. Active crossover still needs some better box.
These are the speakers I am currently using it with, Aurum Cantus mid, Beston planar tweeter, and pseudo Pioneer woofer, dynamic drivers are open baffle in the back. The crossover is set to 300/3000 Hz, and I do not like it, I would prefer, say 200/5000, yes, the Aurum can go as high as 5000, I used it with ribbon before.
One thing I noticed, even though there is absolutely no passive crossover between the amps and speakers, it needs tweeter to be in switched polarity. Measurements showed that.
Happy New Year!

Attachments

• amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 199
  • amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 199
  • amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am not happy with crossover points
while 3kHz between the mid and tweeter may be ok, I want to push it higher, maybe to 5kHz, so it can be used with ribbons
on the other hand, mid can easily handle 200Hz, so I want to modify the crossover point lower
but this is low priority project, I am building F1, Aleph J and Whammy all at the same time