Vinyl not as perfect as I was expecting? First time Recording to Hi-Res Digital

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If it wasnt mentioned before, be aware of remastered digital vs the original pressings on vinyl and similarly done on CDs of that era as well. 99% of the time remastered stuff sounds worse. They usually just crank up the level and compress it to the point of digital clipping along with some bass and treble boost. There are only a handful of remasters done properly that weren't done with a big fisted approach to obtaining a louder sounding product. A better reference from Dire Straights is Sultans of Swing IMO.

The OPs reference of recordings is also suspect and questionable as a yardstick of performance. Dire Straights Brothers in Arms is a decent recording but it was recorded fully digital on first gen equipment, so no analog recording of this album ever existed. It sounds overhyped in treble and bass, likely to highlight the lower noise of digital and promote the CD format. Many CD players came with this album so customers had something to play. This was when CDs costed 30 bucks a piece.

The other issue is the cartridge. You need a very good MC cart with Microline or Shibata stylus profile to get the most out of the record. A decent turntable is a must with a good stable drive system, at minimum direct drive ie Technics SL1200 or equivalent. Also a good preamp with adjustable cartridge load and gain setting. The only decent MM cartridge I've ever come across is the AT 150MLX, but its NLA and the original stylus with Boron cantilever is also NLA.

The Grados fall in the middle, they are moving iron. They also sound very good.

Then you got the Soundsmith strain gauge and the DS Audio optical cartridges.

Are you sure about Brothers In Arms? I think the answer is a lot more complicated than that...

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/brothers-arms  -45rpm-mobile-fidelity

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'll definitely give you that. Optical vinyl pickup technology is pretty amazing. Frankly, I would have thought it would be possible to do mainstream many years ago for reasonable amount of money. There are so many benefits to this.

I've dealt with so much junk back in the 80s that was considered high end at the time. Its all been outpaced by modern digital with very few exceptions. I have a soft spot for the TDA1541 based dac. Though it wasn't perfect by any means, it just sounded right with red book CD in a musical sense, specifically with piano and percussion. My RME ADI pro 2 FSR dac blows it away, but at 2k$ it should.

I got one of those too... mostly for it's ADC. I have the feeling, heck, I know, it'm barely scratching the surface of what it can do.

What kind of SAW software do you run with it?

Analog LPs, recorded and processed in AAA, as well as high resolution recordings in either ADD or DDD ( somewhere after the 00's) sound really good and pleasant. I still think AAA sounds the "warmest" and the least fatiguing reproduction. Ticks and pops can be handled via a proper cleaning and care of the media and turntable, and besides, they are tied to the speaker whereas the music floats in the soundstage. Just like a cough in the audience can be localized while the orchestra fills a 120 degree panorama in front of you.
Do you think acoustic instruments (without sound system) sound warm?

Reactions: 1 user
At the risk of high jacking the thread...
I think this thread has been well and truly hijacked lol..
This thread has more than run it's coarse. I've learned as much as needed to answer my original question. There is a bit of a monetary/value mismatch to most solutions, but that's the vinyl market I suppose, so it's take it or leave it. And in my case, I doubt i'll invest any more into the format as I remain unconvinced on vinyls 'god' tier quality.
Thanks to all who genuinely wanted to help. Not so much to those who are more interested in arguing irrelevancies or asserting bogus facts.
I think it's probably time mods lock the thread... but either way, I don't think I'll be posting in this one anymore.
Cheers.

Reactions: 1 users
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Funny about the optical phono carts. Sound on film has been (or was) optical since the 1930s. Very different system, but still optical pickup.
Actually DS claims about electric cartridge snr are widely false and, as any guy who knows the true max dynamic range of an analogue optical setup the optical catridges are basically in the cassette tape + dolby B snr range just that the dynamic is actually the true limiting factor here...Reducing the reading area as DS claims to reduce cart weight reduces the dynamic range to the snr area also. The signal looks more quiet, but also has reduced dynamic range compared to traditional electrical pickup.LED+ photovoltaic detector noise are usually higher than any mm electrical cartridge noise and even if you remove the electronics attached to it.These guys preffer to fool themselves and pay even more money for nothing because they have no ideea what thermal background radiation means....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-060327_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-060327_Drive.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20220810-060952_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-060952_Drive.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Do you think acoustic instruments (without sound system) sound warm?
They just sound like themselves.

A modern trumpet sounds dynamic and wet and clear and LOUD... a saxophone has a lot of overtones... a violin and violoncello sound soft when bowed, clean when plucked... an acoustic guitar has the overtones of the frets, a drum kit a whole bunch of sounds.... etc. By definition there is no warm or cold sound to an acoustic instrument, they are what they are.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think this thread has been well and truly hijacked lol..
This thread has more than run it's coarse. I've learned as much as needed to answer my original question. There is a bit of a monetary/value mismatch to most solutions, but that's the vinyl market I suppose, so it's take it or leave it. And in my case, I doubt i'll invest any more into the format as I remain unconvinced on vinyls 'god' tier quality.
Thanks to all who genuinely wanted to help. Not so much to those who are more interested in arguing irrelevancies or asserting bogus facts.
I think it's probably time mods lock the thread... but either way, I don't think I'll be posting in this one anymore.
Cheers.

No problem, we'll just take it from here then. ;-)

Account Closed
Joined 2010
The difference here is that the snr on film is significantly higher due to optical medium anysotropy and general opacity vs cartridge's air inside a black box, but the encoded reading area on film is also wider than the one offered by the cartridge stylus movement while in small spaces there's little room to deal with optical coherence and filtering of the light signal...and I can't imagine a cooled cartridge either to fight infrared background radiation . Optical reading on film also used dolby or dbx noise reduction systems .
Interesting. Optical film sound isn’t known for its low noise either. But that might be apples to oranges.

I got one of those too... mostly for it's ADC. I have the feeling, heck, I know, it'm barely scratching the surface of what it can do.

What kind of SAW software do you run with it?
I use it as a DAC and headphone amp, but often utilize the EQ and dsp capability. Its a pretty amazing sounding piece of equipment. Very well thought out for a single piece of gear.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Do you agree if the sound system have low distortion can not sound like real acoustic instrument, but higher distortion sound system can sound like real acoustic instrument, than it must be something wrong in music production?
Science is about models. Models which represent an interpretation of what we think is happening and that are consistent with developed methods that allow us to measure what we experience within the "world view" of these models AND predict heretofore expected behavior that can also be measured.

As a rule of thumb, models that measure our world view and predict other behavior that is also measurable are called "laws" and "theorems".

But make no mistake, "Laws" and "theorems" are just models.

The Classical Greeks had their own "scientific laws" and they served them well under their epistemology.

Note: read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Structure_of_Scientific_Revolutions

In current audio reproduction we have certain "laws" and theorems. It doesn't mean that our science of psychoacoustics is complete nor that we have developed a world view that explains why we hear what we hear and how we hear it.

The current EE based methods of measuring electronic behavior are woefully incomplete when it comes to audio reproduction, if they were complete we would not be discussing this.

Heck, this is DIYAudio, so let me paraphrase Nelson Pass: There are many amplifiers that measure perfect but don't sound realistic.

That simple statement is sufficient to invalidate the entire premise, promulgated by the Julian Hirsh Flat Earth Society, and ASR, that we know what makes an audio component "good". We really have no clue, we really don't know what to design and measure for proper psychoacoustic reproduction because we do not fully understand psychoacoustics... we don't really know how it works. Perhaps some types of distortion, phase alignment, etc.. are required for us to hear properly. Who knows?

In the meantime, we design components that follow what we think is important... yet, as in "voicing" components, often it becomes an iterative listening/guessing game.... making the components sound "good", even as the measurements don't look so "perfect". Huh?

So, to answer you question, we can put together a system that sounds pleasant and perhaps, by pure luck, sounds somewhat realistic. But we have no well defined process to reach that goal nor do we know how to record and recreate an actual musical event.

Anyone who says the science is settled is lying and/or ignorant.

Last edited:
Heck, this is DIYAudio, so let me paraphrase Nelson Pass: There are many amplifiers that measure perfect but don't sound realistic.
No amplifier is prefect. Bu somewhat I agree with you.
But if we think only sound reproduction, we should assume the reproduction is prefect. But it is not.
I think the sound engineer should the target product play in sound system with lowest distortion, highest slew rate, etc.
So they can play correctly at that type of sound system.
I found TV sound adequate in TV's sound system but sound bad in hi-fi sound system.
I found some record, usually old record sound good using same old amplifier and sound bad in my amplifier.
I found some hi-res record sound bad in some old amplifier, but sound very good in my amplifier.
This is why I think the reproduction quality also depend on production quality also.

Optical film used to use photocell receptors. Optical cartridges use electrically buffered, optically focused phototransistor receptors. Not the same things at all. Also, optical cart electrical output signals are much larger than the very low level signals produced by MC transducers. Stray pickup of hum and noise due to the very low signal levels is one problem with MC. Another problem is that magnetic hysteresis affects the sound, so they sound something more or less like a iron-core transformer does. Optical doesn't have that type of coloration and distortion. Seems quite a stretch from someone who has never heard good optical phono to speculate about how it can't possibly work all that well based on erroneous modeling assumptions.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Optical film used to use photocell receptors.
Originally tube, of course. Most of the ones I worked with were silicon solar cells. They worked surprisngly well. I have used solar cells and photo diodes as pickup for a laser beam wiggled by a mirror.
I do think the optical phono pickup is clever, no idea about the noise floor of the photo transistor.