Vifa TC series overlooked?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cheesehead said:
I just built a TC18/TC26 MLTL as my first diy... xo at 3000..The TC26 tweeter has its resonance at 1150 Hz. XO at 2000 seems a little close to resonance, esp. for first order, though it would help the TC18's rise at 1900 (not to mention the peak at 4000). Did you do anything special to filter?

maybe my xo was higher. i cant remember as i tweak by ear. however i have the xo design somewhere. it is a 1st order series XO. i'll have to find it. give me a couple of days.

Navin,
Are you using the TC18s in an MTM configuration? If so, are you using 8 or 4 ohm drivers? I have two 8 ohm TC18s. Originally, I planned a TM but now I am thinking of an MTM. But the Vifa dealer here does not have 4 ohm drivers, which I could have hooked up in series to get 8 ohm. If I use two 8 ohm in parallel, the impedance becomes 4 and my HT receiver needs a minimum of 6 ohm. Please suggest something.
Thanks,
Vivek

nope i use them in TM (tweeter below) in a floor stander. actually it is NOT a floor tander in that the cabinet is divided in to and the bottom 2/3 is used by a 8" woofer. the photo shows the cabinet when it was under construction. i guess u might have seen it before. i have posted this photo on this site a few times.

Attachments

• front of speaker.jpg
    front of speaker.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 333
any update on projects with the tc18? i've got a pair of these and a pair of vifa tc tweeters coming and i would really like to make a pair of floorstanding speakers, preferably would like to try TL, but i'm very new to those enclosures. anyone do anything like this yet or have any tips? thanks

With one TC18, I found the bass totally inadequate. So I made a pair of MTM floorstanders with the TC18 and Vifa D27TG-05-06. Sounds pretty good with about 45L of internal volume. I am still working on the crossover. I wish I had a digital camera to show you guys some pics.

cheesehead

cheesehead said:
I just built a TC18/TC26 MLTL as my first diy... xo at 3000, 2nd order LR. (Lesson learned - money saved on inexpensive speakers will be more than lost on trying to get the xo right!) I'm looking at tweaking the xo now.

mk

Hi

How is your progress w/ TC18/TC26 MLTL. I´m planning a MLTL with vifa PL18 and I would like to kwnow your impression about mltl bass, once this are not usual fullrangers like Fostex or Jordans

TIA

JC

JC Fardo said:
cheesehead

Hi

How is your progress w/ TC18/TC26 MLTL. I´m planning a MLTL with vifa PL18 and I would like to kwnow your impression about mltl bass, once this are not usual fullrangers like Fostex or Jordans

TIA

JC

It's my first diy, and as such is absolutely fantastic ;) . The bass is OK for a 6.5 inch speaker, but the TC18 distorts at relatively low excursion. The one I've got (buyout - forget the part #) also has a pretty nasty peak at about 4000. But I like the MLTL concept.

On the plus side, she who must be pleased thinks that they image better than the Cambridge Soundworks M80's we had, and so she admitted that maybe my foray into speakerbuilding was not completely useless. :D And the first time my kids heard the thundercrack in the second LOTR movie move across the room they squealed :D:D:D (A positive CAF?)

Personally, if I were to do it again & didn't have the speakers, I'd go with the Vifa PL18 or P17 instead of the TC18. I had a lot of trouble with the xover and still don't think I've got it right. If you want to do the TC18, I'd do an MTM because 1 speaker won't give enough oomph.

Good luck!

from everything i've been reading, these things are better in an mtm setup. however, due to money restrictions, i'm sticking with tm setup for at least the time being. so i wanna try to get the best i can outta these things. and like i mentioned previously, i really dont need much bass, because i do have the sub to pick up the low end.

seeing as i guess i did model the speakers right in winISD, ported is gonna be outta the question, seeing as they would require a 2 1/3 cu ft enclosure each. however, the sealed setup at 1.25 cubes sounds a little more realistic size wise for my setup.

anything else i've missed?

so i'm almost finished with building these speakers. i did end up going sealed TM, for misc reasons. now comes time for the crossover. what has everyone done for this part? i was looking to x-over around 3000, most likely 2nd order. anyone have any better ideas? i dont really have anything for testing or lots of spare cash around (i'm a college kid), so i cant afford to make 1/2 a dozen different x-overs. thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.