Very large 30HZ straight horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alternating planks, no way. Bass will easily go around the lone standing planks. 3 of 4 sides? Maybe, but Still probably no benefit over just ending the horn when the 1 side ends.

Just to help my understanding, wouldn't the size of the gap relative to the wavelength be relevant?

eg some of the lower frequencies might still be impacted if they had a quarter wavelength longer than the gap?

Does the mouth of the horn need to be solid/continuous all the way?

eg do you still get some benefit from the end opening diameter if you flared some planks out to increase the end diameter, but they had gaps of one plank width or more between them?

Or if it was rectangular and you only had 2 opposing sides or maybe 3 of 4 sides?

To control directivity to this new design limit, yes; for WLs below this point [original design limit] there will be mass quantities of reflections/diffractions to 'blur' it a bit [I use/recommend foam as a high SQ way to do similar on typical mids-up horns] and of course below this point the horn's in control.

This abruptness would create a fanned out dispersion with control to a lower frequency.

GM

Greets!

Hmm, small driver, long horn for < 2 octaves doesn't compute, especially for your 1 pi loading requirement [wall-floor],

Hi GM. What driver did you use for the example sims that you so kindly provided? I reattached them for convenience sake.

Edit: Never mind, I just noticed in the comment section that it is the 18 Sound 18LW2400.

Attachments

• expo30Hz1-1CR.txt
    1 KB · Views: 28
  • expo30Hz2-1CR.txt
    1 KB · Views: 28
  • expo30Hz3-1CRv1.txt
    1 KB · Views: 35
  • expo30Hz3-1CRv2.txt
    1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
It was 49.20.

Hi tizman,

Thanks for the confirmation, that explains it :).

Prior to Version 49.30 it was possible to set Eg = 0, which gave the driver diaphragm a constant rms velocity of 10 cm/sec at all frequencies. The functionality was changed in Version 49.30 to allow the user to specify a constant velocity value other than 10cm/sec, and a constant acceleration option was also added at the same time. It was no longer possible to set Eg = 0.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 247
Yes, bass is no different than any other frequency range, just needs a proportionally bigger horn mouth to control it: F = 10^6/[wall angle*mouth width]

GM

If I am able to control the directivity of the bass frequencies with an appropriately sized horn, wouldn’t it be possible to point the horn in the direction I want the bass to go? Most discussions relating to the improved performance of multiple subs over a single sub usually refer to bass reflex or sealed subwoofers. These are of course omnidirectional. Is a proper horn subwoofer directional rather than omnidirectional?

There's a house near me that looks like a small castle and once upon a time it had a mono 30 Hz expo horn that was a false wall built in with the compression driver/throat centrally located, then fanned out [high aspect ratio] to create a full height slit mouth in each corner.

When you're being flattened by a true 'wall of sound' you don't tend to notice minor room loading variances.

GM

If I am able to control the directivity of the bass frequencies with an appropriately sized horn, wouldn’t it be possible to point the horn in the direction I want the bass to go?

In theory, yes, but in practice, you're just not going to build a horn big enough to achieve that result.

Plug a few sample numbers into the equation GM gave you to get a feel for the dimensions required. (The "mouth width" parameter in GM's version of the equation is in inches by the way.)

To wit, it's going to end up about the size of your house, not just your listening room ;)

In theory, yes, but in practice, you're just not going to build a horn big enough to achieve that result.

Plug a few sample numbers into the equation GM gave you to get a feel for the dimensions required. (The "mouth width" parameter in GM's version of the equation is in inches by the way.)

To wit, it's going to end up about the size of your house, not just your listening room ;)

The room I have has dimensions of 10 feet by 30 feet that are available for the horn mouth. I can use the entire long dimension for the horn mouth, but I am limited by the short dimension. 10 feet is half a wavelength of 57 HZ, and 30 feet is half a wavelength of 19 HZ. Assuming the horn mouth takes up the entire available area, what does the limitation of the the smaller dimension do to the 19 HZ capability of the larger dimension. This is all happening in a room, not in open space, but it would appear that the problems created in room with this huge horn would be shared by any other subwoofer as well.

tizman -

I'd like to know more about the location and setting of this project in the Toronto area.

Have you thought of engaging the talents of the local crew? We have jolly gatherings from time to time and I'm sure others would be delighted to help you. Me too, when I'm back in T.O. for motorcycle season.

Don't miss post #1322

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

B.

Last edited:
I'd like to know more about the location and setting of this project in the Toronto area.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to share more at the moment. The project will have to be further underway before I can do so. When I can, I will give more details. I will most definitely engage the talents of the local crew when I can. Thanks to you all for sharing in this thread!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.