• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Versatile and comfortable passive pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rbalu72, I will happily perform a new Group-buy round for the RPRE-V2, but only, if somebody assists me!
Just think of all the tasks I have to do to make this Group-buy a success:

- doing the Hardware design and layout
- program the firmware
- burn the firmware into the PIC µProcessors
- program the IR remote control units to transmit subcodes using system-address X'11'
- keep the BoMs and Builder's Manual up to date

- measure the LDRs and select suitable pairs / quads
- take care of the B1-buffer PCBs and find somebody, who will solder the TPS7A4700
- keep track of PAYPAL money transfers
- dispatch the letters and parcels

If there is somebody who will take the tasks starting with "..measure the LDRs ...", I will think about a new round.

Best regards - Rudi

- measure the LDRs and select suitable pairs / quads
- take care of the B1-buffer PCBs and find somebody, who will solder the TPS7A4700
- keep track of PAYPAL money transfers
- dispatch the letters and parcels

If there is somebody who will take the tasks starting with "..measure the LDRs ...", I will think about a new round.

Hmm, I do have time, interest and most of the needed skills and equipment. And I'm physically not that far away, so maybe we could continue this with private messages.

I have assembled my own RPRE and tested it.
Until now everything works as designed.

I am now waiting for Ales (mravlca) to solder the TPS7A4700 on my PSU-PCB to power the on-board B1-buffer.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• ACA 017.jpg
    ACA 017.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 303
I received the TPS7A4700-PSU - PCBs back from Ales, could not resist and soldered a PSU immediately.

The PSU-PCB works as designed!
I jumpered the TPS7A4700 to give a +/-11VDC on the output (to be used with the RPRE's B1-buffer).

I will now start and send you your orders/parcels.
Aradan: tomorrow, then Speakert, then Myint, ...

I wish you a sucessful build - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• Ales 003.jpg
    Ales 003.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 260
I can no more compare the "sound" of my RPRE, being driven by a dual LT1763-PSU, with my RPRE, being driven by the TPS7A4700, simply because I do no more have the LT1763-PSU.

I can compare the "sound" of the "SALAS Simplistic B1 Buffer" with my current setup.
I do not hear any difference.

Comparing the efforts it takes to build the shunt regulator on the "SALAS Simplistic B1 Buffer" and the dual TPS7A4700 -PSU that I have done a layout for:
you do not need matched components (f.e. LEDs), nor do you need heatsinks, ..., the transformer is "on-board", ... :D

Another very nice gimmick that I found out: "the simplistic B1-buffer sounds better", when driven by +/- 11VDC output voltages (rather than by +/-10 VDC output voltages),
and to change the output voltages of the dual TPS7A4700 - PSU only needs different jumper settings.

Gentlemen, I have asked Santa Claus to give me a 3rd hand this year: my right hand to hold the solder iron, my left hand to hold the roll of tin-solder and the 3rd hand to hold tight a SMD-component.

Find attached some images of what Santa Claus and his helper Andreas (a German DIY-friend of mine) have put into my boots!

http://abload.de/img/pre010gvkxi.jpg

http://abload.de/img/pre018jrscr.jpg

http://abload.de/img/pre005n1uom.jpg

The result (f.e. soldering the TPS7A4700-PSU for the RPRE's integrated simplistic Nelson Pass B1-Buffer) nearly looks professional, doesn't it?

I hope that these pictures will inspire your DIY- instinct and will take away any fear from soldering SMD parts!

P.S.: It is currently impossible (?) to attach pictures!

Last edited:
Hi Rudi,

Where did you buy that third hand for holding SMD-Parts.

Regards,
Ronny
Rudi,

I like it! Simple, but genius. I have used very,very small alligator clips in the past, but sometimes they get in the way a bit. And you can only use them on the edge of a PCB board, so they are limited. This is a much cleaner solution.

BTW - I'm waiting on a Front Panel Express order for a few of my current projects - one of which is the LDR-RPre. I'll be sure to post a few pics of the progress and the finished product. I can't wait to hear it.

Rick

Aradan, I hope that the attached image will give you the needed insight! :D
Just go to your local locksmith, give him a bottle of wine, whisky, some cigars, ..., whatever he likes, and he will make you this tool!

Redjr's answer has been perfect! The "SMD-part" won't move a µM, and you have 2 "free" hands to solder it!

Attachments

• AW 005.jpg
    AW 005.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas all of you!

Completed the PSU PCB - works great and is set up for 11V.
I just used the same soldering technique as is used for the Micrel voltage regulator.

The result looks a bit rougher than with Rudi's "Orthophon" thirth hand (never knew Rudi was that heavy into vinyl :D) appliance for keeping the SMD's in place, but hey I'm there...

Almost there with the RPre too, still some minor thingies, after that I will hook it up in my enclosure. It will replace a previous RPRe version (NO, it is not for sale!), which works great and sounds even better! (i.e. awesome!). Only reason to replace it is the volume adjustment speed, which is a bit on the slow side in comparison to that of the current build.

@Rudi: are the SPO PCB's still availlable? I like one, it's handy to switch things on and off along with the RPre!

:deer: Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!:xmastree:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.