• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Versatile and comfortable passive pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys
Selling LDRs has really really died off. You guys are nearly the only sales that I've had this summer. I dont really see buying another thousand dollars worth of LDRs to have them sit for several months. Lots of orders from the US lately which is obviously this thread purchasing. Otherwise the Netherlands is the biggest! Odd huh? I'm thankful to see people still using them. They are ridiculously better sounding than the best pots so the lack of involvement baffles me.
So here is the deal. I have 2 sets left. Thats it. I imagine they will sell today because of this post. One quad is a decent match and the other is at the limit of what I would accept and even then its not so hot. Probably will require fiddling with to get stereo image right on.
That said... once these are gone I will only supply LDRs via group buys. I am not interested in running the group buy so anyone can put one together. Then I will match the LDRs and I will ship to the group buy leader and he can distribute.
I've really enjoyed this and will continue to use LDRs in my own audio (especially in feedback networks and input resistors and as input selectors) and will continue to design new stuff but after January. I wont be designing stuff that needs matched LDRs unless it just needs one pair. Like maybe a balanced attenuator using a transformer as the series component. Anyway, thats the deal guys.
Uriah

Thanks BillyK.
To others: I do have quite a few pairs left so two sets of pairs would probably work out but the way I match means that a 7k from one batch does not necessarily match a 7k from the next batch so you would have, lets say, a series pair from 0-7k and maybe a shunt pair from 0-12k.
My buddy Javier helps me a lot with matching and he might might might have some left on the matching board that we could pull a few more pairs or quads from but really if you still need them its best to A:start a group buy B: start matching (you can do it!) or C: shoot me an email asap and I will ask him. Of course you could go with two pair which will probably be fine and I sell them for 17.50 but until they are gone I will sell pairs for 10 each with no guarantee about them matching another pair if 2 pair are bought.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Guys
Selling LDRs has really really died off. You guys are nearly the only sales that I've had this summer. I dont really see buying another thousand dollars worth of LDRs to have them sit for several months. Lots of orders from the US lately which is obviously this thread purchasing. Otherwise the Netherlands is the biggest! Odd huh?

Ah as always it's the dutch that know quality :Pinoc: I wish we would have the same sense for a good local cuisine....So far this is our best attempt:

Kroket - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I love to eat "Krokettjes".

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

P.S.: My mother (96 years old now) is born in the Netherlands (Rotterdam) - so I have some Dutch roots within me.

Attachments

• 36481-960x720-kroketten-hausgemacht.jpg
    36481-960x720-kroketten-hausgemacht.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
I have finally got to a point where I could play music through the preamp.
I have it connected to a Hifimediy T2 amplifier and it sounds absolutely amazing. I was not expecting such an improvement in sound quality over the Alps pot I was using before.

I have a slight issue that when the volume is turned all the way down, I can still hear music playing very quietly through both speakers. The maximum resistance I measured was 5.7k at minimum volume.

When I was measuring the LDRs I attempted to correct the channel balance by soldering a 33k resistor in parallel with the adjustable LDR's output, and this allowed me approximately match the resistances over the first third of the volume pot's travel. Could this be the reason for the problem? It seems funny that it affects both speakers and not just the right channel.

Having said that, I will quite happily live with this if it cannot be fixed, the music sounds so much better.

Thanks again to Rudi and Uriah.

Mat

issue

Ok gents. I put vcpre into thick cardboard box until I get real enclosure sorted.
Hooked it to cd and old arcam power amp to test. Music plays well for about 30 sec and after that.., click record to listen.
Cannot plug to myref amp yet cause doing some works on it so impossible to say if it is an amp issue.
Any ideas ?
Link to wav:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmsg4eqnb9w6xqr/amp rec.wav

You are running yours into a fetzilla if I'm right? How do you find it?

I wish I could tell you! It is still in the boxes awaiting construction. Oh! The frustration I feel! :mad: All those beautiful parts calling me. Anyway, life is very busy for me right now with work and family. I just have about enough time to visit with you folks here. :(
I hope to take some time off and have some just for me time, then I will get to building!! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.