Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny, I've just been reading a bit about passive aggressive behaviour, and your post is a classic example ;) Anyway, to prove you wrong, I wish him all the best too and would encourage him to do plenty of research on his chosen diet :)

I don't believe you have "just been reading a bit about " it - I believe you first thought it up as angry internal thought, quickly googled it to try to bring some kind of authority to your accusation and then presented it falsely as if a non-aggressive, purely factual "observation" ... and your post is classic passive aggressive. Even worse with the over-use of smileys..

So hilarious the characters and behaviours that non-conforming life choices bring out on forums. Some people just can't handle them!

Most of the thread is passive-aggressive, those regularly posting on it pretty much driving that feel.

Last edited:
It could be, we all do it from time to time, it's a way of controlling the situation, like you have just tried there.

Oh, just saw your edit, that's very very funny because you are wrong, and others here know it, not that it matters to me one jot if you believe me or not, why on earth should it? ;):rolleyes::p:D

Last edited:
It seemed to me to be a variation on "wistful wishing" 7 Signs You'''re Dealing With a Passive-Aggressive Person | Time
Making a kind of prediction of other people's responses in an attempt to control the outcome?

Far from a prediction.
That is the exact response I received ~2 months ago when I posted a link to the lecture by the author of that book. That lecture presented many of the research that is the presented in that book.
It is safe to assume the reaction to the same material has not changed in the short time frame

So hilarious the characters and behaviours that non-conforming life choices bring out on forums. Some people just can't handle them!

Not to mention the hilarious contortions that so many are willing to twist themselves into to be --- non-conforming... or worse offended that their non-conformity raises eyebrows.

"Hey buddy, you got a staring problem?" Says the guy with the devil horns surgically embedded in his forehead.

It could be, we all do it from time to time, it's a way of controlling the situation, like you have just tried there.

Oh, just saw your edit, that's very very funny because you are wrong, and others here know it, not that it matters to me one jot if you believe me or not, why on earth should it? ;):rolleyes::p:D

I editted to better explain my reading of it .. because who really looks up and reads old articles on passive-aggression unless it was on their mind, normally because of the situation they're currently in.. The post I'm replying to does pretty much the same again, even tries to set up the premise of "everyone else agrees with me and not you [even though there's no proof they do - why would they even care to opine?]" and then feign disinterest in the whole thing... despite feeling the need to reply. If it * really * did not bother someone, they wouldn't bother with the reply at all. And then all the smileys again.

I'm replying because the kind of responses you're coming out with I find annoyingly disingenuous and pretentious so it's kind of fun for me to break them down and try to annoy back a bit. I say that only to avoid a typical passive-aggressive response - being more honest - but I'll go back to a more keep-the-peace mode now.

Anyway, it's interesting how there's a kind of "official" meaning of passive-aggressive and also a more colloquial version that in my understanding is different.. I was using it in the more colloquial way, where someone hides their negative feelings for someone by pretending to be reasonable and nice, when really they have feelings of competition or superiority.

The official version (well, that appears on wikipedea and is what they talk about in that article you linked to) was defined by (quote from wikipedia):

first defined clinically by Colonel William Menninger during World War II in the context of men's reaction to military compliance.

Now, in the context of a US army colonel in 1940 coming up with a term to describe humans fighting to keep their self of identity and resistance to being forced to do fairly stupid things and forget all that makes them human, to resist being robotic .. whilst acting to avoid harsh punishment from those in a more powerful position should they show a more blatent defiance... "passive-aggression" is what we see in all the heros of both real-life (including during WWII, resisting enemy questioning, torture etc) and fiction. It should be celebrated!

Last edited:
Now, in the context of a US army colonel in 1940 coming up with a term to describe humans fighting to keep their self of identity and resistance to being forced to do fairly stupid things and forget all that makes them human, to resist being robotic ... "passive-aggression" is what we see in all the heros of both real-life (including during WWII) and fiction. It should be celebrated!
I agree in that context. It seems like a very good survival tool.

I think that flea was recently withdrawn as plague carrier.
So we are back to zero on medical bio causes of the plague.
Same with polio as Salk's immunization was given during natural declining cycle.
I think the flea was not let off the hook, just the rats... The fleas were carriers, but human to human, not human to rat to human....

Now, if fleas practiced veganism...
"Typhus spreads through Los Angeles; over 100 cases reported"
Rats and fleas are thriving in Los Angeles and San Fransisco.

You can be sure that the members of this forum will shoot down anything written in that book as "fake news", "myths that have been debunked" etc etc.
FWIW one of my very first posts here was the lecture "Uprooting the leading causes of death" by Michael Gregor... that was basically the response.
Would you mind quoting those posts? I don't think you are being accurate but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't believe you have "just been reading a bit about " it - I believe you first thought it up as angry internal thought, quickly googled it to try to bring some kind of authority to your accusation and then presented it falsely as if a non-aggressive, purely factual "observation" ... and your post is classic passive aggressive. Even worse with the over-use of smileys..
Do you still believe that "Millions of birds vacuumed to death annually in Mediterranean"?

Over my lifetime I've seen the traditionally educated 'debunkers' loosing on all fronts as new ideas, experiments and theories emerge. They go down hard, fighting to remain relevant within the new boundaries.
The most debated areas today are new quantum physics and biophysics.
I ignore them as its senseless to argue in circles. It's almost like trying to convert cult members.

For what it's worth I've been vegan for a few years and don't think I feel any different than I did before I started. I might even occasionally have a little less energy because meat, dairy and eggs is so calorie dense, and so easily accessible, that it makes it easier to stay full on that stuff.

On another note, there's some weird stuff in this thread. I'm going back to the stereo stuff.

Over my lifetime I've seen the traditionally educated 'debunkers' loosing on all fronts as new ideas, experiments and theories emerge. They go down hard, fighting to remain relevant within the new boundaries.
The most debated areas today are new quantum physics and biophysics.
I ignore them as its senseless to argue in circles. It's almost like trying to convert cult members.

I tend to disagree... while I see a lot of breakthroughs in knowledge, I see very little science that has debunked much of anything. I see string theory continue to add dimensions to explain what can’t be otherwise explained and quantum physics still bound by Einstein’s work... I don’t see the true debunkers, worth their salt be toppled anywhere.

I also see the breakdown of science and fact in favor of opinion, even from”experts” and “scientists”. Look at then most recent viral math “problem” 8/2(2+2) where even “experts” are saying there are two correct answers, when there are not, by any stretch of the imagination...

I will let you decide how all of this relates to all of these new “factually” proven diet lifestyles... wanna have so,e go read this and try not to laugh.

Woman claims she no longer needs solid food and 'gets energy from breathing' - Mirror Online

FWIW - I find many of the vegan diet claims to be silly, but have zero issue with you are anybody choosing to adopt any diet for any reason. In the end, if you feel better and healthier, then you win. My issues are when people adopt non comforting lifestyles that impose on the happiness of others in a selfish manner.

It looks like many of these posts belong in a separate thread for "Personality Disorders".
Unfortunately politics may raise its ugly head in such a thread.
It's very difficult to have an open, inclusive discussion about veganism, I tried on vegan forums, that's why I started this thread here, I knew it would be very difficult and emotional but that's the nature of the subject.

It seemed to me to be a variation on "wistful wishing" 7 Signs You'''re Dealing With a Passive-Aggressive Person | Time
Making a kind of prediction of other people's responses in an attempt to control the outcome?

Oh, wow, there seems to be some contradiction there.
Like in the last paragraph where it says:
And what if you’re the passive aggressor? Well, the knock-it-off suggestion is a good place to start. That’s not always easy, and it can take work and even the help of a good therapist to determine why directness is so hard for you. It’s a lot better than indirectness, however—and it’s a whole lot less work.

And higher up in the "Non-Compliment" section:
Compliments are easy. Compliments can even be fun. Here are some nice compliments: “Great haircut!” or “Terrific soup!” Here are some less nice compliments: “Great haircut — I used to get the same one in college,” or “Terrific soup — I didn’t even taste all that cilantro.” It’s no secret which kind of compliment the passive-aggressor goes for — usually out of competitiveness. If you’re not sure which kind of compliment you’ve gotten, pay attention to your own responses: If you feel like saying “thank you,” you’ve probably gotten a good one. If you feel like running screaming from the room, not so much.

Personally, I find compliments extremely difficult. It has nothing to do with passive aggression, but when do you start, and how can you be specific and still stop at the right time?
I never really know.

In spite of my many personal flaws, and complete lack of understanding in "human relations":
Seems this may be written by a bitter person that has a hard time dropping friends that are no-good.

Btw, What is that "Human Relations" thing? Some of the people I've met working with "Human Relations" have been exceptionally inept at trying to comprehend basic individual differences?
Or is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.