Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people so obsessed with the protein. Even an olympic athlete (not power lifting) does not need more than 1gr protein per kg weight. That is satisfied on a vegan diet. For most, 0.8gr protein per kg is more than adequate.

No, it isn't. Furthermore, as you age the requirement for protein goes UP.

The plant world contains all the amino acids required for complete proteins. Oh, is it hard for you to create it on your own, or do you need the cow to do it for you so that you can eat it after its synthesized?

Exactly. You are not a cow. You can eat this stuff, but it doesn't mean you can do anything with it.

Attachments

• Predator.jpg
    Predator.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 90
I am almost 36.
Perfect BMI.
Perfect Bloodwork.
Rarely a sick day at work.

Can the same be said about my younger peers? Or same age friends? The gut and chins keep growing.

I'm 54 and 6'2", I still take the same 32" waist jeans I did when I was 24.

My diet is quite simple: I eat anything except (overly) processed food. I make almost everything from scratch from mayonnaise to pasta sauces.
Last time I checked (a couple of weeks ago) my blood pressure was 126 over 87 but my BMI is on the low side of ideal.

Some things in science are pretty well understood at this point in time.

As a vegan, ongoing research (on this specific issue) is irrelevant to me, because there will never be a study that will conclude that kale, spinach, broccoli, potatoes or beans are bad for the heart.
Yesterday, you were propping it up "All modern scientific research points that plant-based (or vegan, call it whatever you like) is the only diet to avoid all the leading causes of death (heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, etc)." Now you are saying they aren't bad for the heart. Have you changed your narrative in a day or are you saying that the plant-based / vegan diet, "the wonder cure", isn't pretty well understood at this point?
The research conclusions on meat vary from really bad for you, sometimes bad for you, maybe only processed is bad for you, maybe its fine in certain quantities.
Does that explain why you need to continuously stay up to date? Do you actually modify your eating habits based on the latest research conclusions?
Seems pretty tiring to me
What are the names of some of those researches?

To be completely honest, I couldn't care less if eating meat is healthy or not.

A steak or burger on my plate was once a living cow.
That cow was killed so that it could be my (or your) meal.
As such, eating meat is directly linked to the death of that animal.
If we can't agree on this... really there is no point in discussing any further.
Would you eat roadkill meats? There are places that sell those.
I have stopped participating in that -- for life. So yes, if you show me a research that debunks the link between heart disease and meat, it really doesnt matter.
Once you cite some of those "All modern scientific research points that plant-based (or vegan, call it whatever you like) is the only diet to avoid all the leading causes of death (heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, etc)." Since you said "all", it should be easy for you to just point out couple, no?

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Yesterday, you were propping it up "All modern scientific research points that plant-based (or vegan, call it whatever you like) is the only diet to avoid all the leading causes of death (heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, etc)." Now you are saying they aren't bad for the heart. Have you changed your narrative in a day or are you saying that the plant-based / vegan diet, "the wonder cure", isn't pretty well understood at this point??
No, not at all.
The benefits of a vegan, 100% plant based diet are well documented.
Ofcourse, you can live in denial of the data as some clearly are.

You are obsessing over the wording of that sentence.
All the research I've seen has studied the implications of eggs, dairy, meat, fish on the leading diseases mentioned. I have yet to see any study that concludes that fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains, starches increase the chances of same diseases. Actually the opposite is mostly the case, where increase consumption of those foods decreases the risk.

So the choice seems easy. You can go vegan and forget about caring whether what you're eating is bad for you (within reason ofcourse- living on ice cream cake and french fries is not healthy)

Or you can continue consuming those with the risk that when the research is well known, the damage is done.

For me it was an easy choice, to each his own.

Would you eat roadkill meats? There are places that sell those.

I wouldn't because meat now disgusts me. As mentioned I ate everything until age 28. I was heavy meat eater. At the early stages of giving up meat, the smells of burgers and steaks still tempted me. After about 6 months of not eating something changes and it dead animal flesh is not appetizing anymore.

Once you cite some of those "All modern scientific research points that plant-based (or vegan, call it whatever you like) is the only diet to avoid all the leading causes of death (heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, etc)." Since you said "all", it should be easy for you to just point out couple, no?

If you insist:
Recent study from the Cleveland clinic, the place where heart bypass surgery was invented:
Eating red meat daily triples heart disease-related chemical

A research conducted by Meat Science Journal (which is published by the meat industry)
Red meat and colon cancer: should we become vegetarians, or can we make meat safer?

Effect of a single high-fat meal on endothelial function in healthy subjects.

High fat intake leads to acute postprandial exposure to circulating endotoxin in type 2 diabetic subjects.
You need to purchase these, so it would be a bit difficult to read through the conclusions if you dont. One interesting quote from this one:
"Finally, while the most obvious solution to metabolic endotoxinemia appears to be to reduce saturated fat intake, the Western diet is not conductive to this mode of action, and it is difficult for patients to comply with this request"
Sound familiar?

Is the Harvard School of Public Health good enough for you?
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutrit...t-is-carcinogenic-understanding-the-findings/
Interesting quote: "While it is true that red meat has nutritional value – it is rich in protein, minerals and vitamins (e.g., vitamin B12) – many studies have also shown that high consumption of red meat can increase the risk of colorectal cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic diseases, and may lead to higher risk of dying of those diseases (when compared to other good sources of protein, such as poultry, fish or legumes). Thus, much evidence suggests that an optimally healthy diet would be low in red meat."

Thank mainly your parents and grandparents for giving you that gene. Many are not as well endowed regardless of their diet.
I wouldnt make assumptions so fast. 2 of my grandparents passed from cancer. Another from stroke. My parents and sister are overweight, borderline obese. They suffer from diabetes and high blood pressure.
Growing up I had asthma and was allergic to dogs, cats, tree's, grass and dust. I would get sick atleast once every 2 months with a cold or flu like symptons.
Needless to say, my situation has improved greatly since going vegan.

Last edited:
Please don't confuse diet versus age issues. Children growing up require different nutritional needs. Vegetarian children may not end up as tall as they would on an omnivore diet.

Ancient folks also typically have different needs. I suspect few very oldies are not on some medication these days. One bit is that the higher the healthy weight at retirement the longer the life expectancy. Of course what is an optimal weight is a bit unclear.

Then the issue of food chain efficiency. Locally produced food typically uses less resources than food flown in from surprisingly long distances. Even the shipped or trucked stuff. Locally to me also means seasonal. So preserving food and nutritional value becomes an issue. The very traditional method is to feed livestock grass or other foods humans can't really eat and that reduces seasonality. Of course local livestock requires less transportation.

Then there is the issue of cruelty. That gets far more interesting. Hunters are familiar with the high that comes from a successful hunt. I think very few understand the biofeedback this gives to reinforce the hunting desire.

The other cruelty issue is that animals such as cows really cannot survive in the wild. Natural predictors do in unprotected ones quite quickly. The non domestic animals such as deer survive because they are quite fast. Also if the predator population gets out of control, they end up starving.

Then comes the issue of keeping pets. Cats certainly can survive without ownership. In fact to domesticate cats you have to begin when they are kittens. This is done by playing with them and training them to not just tolerate it, but enjoy it. Feral cats not so much.

Now dogs ability to survive wild really depends on breed. Most of the smaller ones I see around would in the wild quickly become feed.

Now I have rabbits that eat much of my plantings at home. Should I borrow the neighbors dog for a few days? Pretty sure no rabbits after that!

Of course what hasn't been mentioned is that one thing human bodies have difficulty with is rapid dramatic changes in diet. Some vegetarians actually have bad reactions to a sudden change to a heavy meat diet.

Last edited:
Yes, could it be (hopefully, yes) that at the heart of every desire to go vegan, consciously or not, lies solely a health concern? And later on, as people are biased, ignorant and inventive, come ethical and environmental "explanations" (which, eventually, are also related to wellbeing). Or could it be that we see certain taboos at work when, as a result of anthropomorphizing farm animals, the idea of "cruelty" naturally comes in?

I wouldn't because meat now disgusts me. As mentioned I ate everything until age 28. I was heavy meat eater. At the early stages of giving up meat, the smells of burgers and steaks still tempted me. After about 6 months of not eating something changes and it dead animal flesh is not appetizing anymore.
That's interesting. Meat eating has become abhorrent to you, how does that make you feel about people who enjoy it? How does it make you feel about other animals that enjoy it?

If you insist:
Recent study from the Cleveland clinic, the place where heart bypass surgery was invented:

TMAO is a dead end. Eating fish hugely increases TMAO as is associated with decreased cardiovascular disease.

https://www.fasebj.org/doi/abs/10.1096/fasebj.30.1_supplement.406.6

One has to wonder at the motivation behind the publishing of useless studies like this.

Definitely NOT. They are amongst the worst offenders. Every so-called article show bias, they are definitely reporting only one side.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutrit...t-is-carcinogenic-understanding-the-findings/
Interesting quote: "While it is true that red meat has nutritional value – it is rich in protein, minerals and vitamins (e.g., vitamin B12) – many studies have also shown that high consumption of red meat can increase the risk of colorectal cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic diseases, and may lead to higher risk of dying of those diseases (when compared to other good sources of protein, such as poultry, fish or legumes). Thus, much evidence suggests that an optimally healthy diet would be low in red meat."

Weasel words 'may' 'can' 'associated' 'suggests'. Correlation vs causation, bias etc etc.
The WHO has come in to some serious criticism, especially of late.

No, not at all.
The benefits of a vegan, 100% plant based diet are well documented.
Ofcourse, you can live in denial of the data as some clearly are.

You are obsessing over the wording of that sentence.
All the research I've seen has studied the implications of eggs, dairy, meat, fish on the leading diseases mentioned. I have yet to see any study that concludes that fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains, starches increase the chances of same diseases. Actually the opposite is mostly the case, where increase consumption of those foods decreases the risk.

So the choice seems easy. You can go vegan and forget about caring whether what you're eating is bad for you (within reason ofcourse- living on ice cream cake and french fries is not healthy)

Or you can continue consuming those with the risk that when the research is well known, the damage is done.

For me it was an easy choice, to each his own.

If you insist:

A research conducted by Meat Science Journal (which is published by the meat industry)
Red meat and colon cancer: should we become vegetarians, or can we make meat safer?

Effect of a single high-fat meal on endothelial function in healthy subjects.

High fat intake leads to acute postprandial exposure to circulating endotoxin in type 2 diabetic subjects.
You need to purchase these, so it would be a bit difficult to read through the conclusions if you dont. One interesting quote from this one:
"Finally, while the most obvious solution to metabolic endotoxinemia appears to be to reduce saturated fat intake, the Western diet is not conductive to this mode of action, and it is difficult for patients to comply with this request"
Sound familiar?

First link, "113 healthy men and women in a clinical trial". It won't show their age or ethnic background. 113 people? That's an anecdote at best. How about thousands or millions? Do you know of any stats involving such number of people over decades or centuries?

Second link, "avoid processed meat" That's nothing new for those perusing good health. "our studies show that beef meat and cured pork meat promote colon carcinogenesis in rats." Ok, anything else?

Third link, in the first paragraph, "High saturated fat levels in red meat have long been known to contribute to heart disease"
That's the old knowledge I was referring to when mentioning Dr. Ancel Keys and that is their prologue.
"10 healthy, normocholesterolemic volunteers—were studied before and for 6 hours after single isocaloric high- and low-fat meals" Again, age and ethenic background aren't mentioned. 10 volunteers, eh. "These results demonstrate that a single high-fat meal transiently impairs endothelial function. These findings identify a potential process by which a high-fat diet may be atherogenic independent of induced changes in cholesterol." Potential and may be? That's what you consider proof?

Fourth link is on type 2 diabetic subjects.

Fifth link, "Last week the World Health Organization (WHO)’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) announced that consumption of processed meat is “carcinogenic to humans (Group I ),” and that consumption of red meat is “probably carcinogenic to humans (Group 2A).” The report differentiates the two meats as follows:"
Probably? Again, that's what you consider proof?

My parents and sister are overweight, borderline obese.
I'm pretty sure that's not due to eating meat.
They suffer from diabetes and high blood pressure.
Likely due to genetics more than anything else.
Growing up I had asthma and was allergic to dogs, cats, tree's, grass and dust.
What does that have to do with eating meat?
I would get sick atleast once every 2 months with a cold or flu like symptons.
Did the doctor say it's due to eating meat?
Needless to say, my situation has improved greatly since going vegan.
My response to your
"I am almost 36.
Perfect BMI.
Perfect Bloodwork.
Rarely a sick day at work.
Ran a 38:08 10K and 1:27 half marathon and 3:15 marathon as a vegan (not recently).
"
was, vegetarian / vegan diet isn't responsible for running 38:08 10K and 1:27 half marathon and 3:15 marathon. If it is, everyone who gets on vegetarian / vegan diet would do that and even you know that it's not true.

Not a single one of the links you posted show "All modern scientific research points that plant-based (or vegan, call it whatever you like) is the only diet to avoid all the leading causes of death (heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, etc)."
I wouldn't because meat now disgusts me.
What this tells me is that your infamous claim about "the only diet to avoid all the leading causes of death" is born out of your emotion, not scientific facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.