Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some primates have a predominantly herbivorous diet but Geladas are the only ones whose vegetable part of the diet is grass rather than fruit,shoots, roots. or leaves.

The others also take birds and eggs given a chance, Geladas might grab the odd grasshopper or locust. They don't have a very active life. Geladas largely just shuffle along on their backsides from one patch of grass to another.

Mutation is a steady process, it just happens all the time.
If one of those happens to be an advantage it is an adaptation.ie all adaptations are mutations but only very, very few mutations turn out to be adaptations. Mutation is just the underlying process that makes adaptation possible.

Last edited:
I had a rabbit that ate chicken and another that ate boiled sweets, and yes they both swallowed. Of course they only ate them because I fed them to them (sorry, too many "thems") I was a child and knew nothing about right and wrong and ethics and such like, apparently, neither did my rabbits.......

The Vegan Society's definition of veganism:

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

With this is mind, my question is: What about sheep farmers in areas similar to where I live, that is, poor, rugged land where the only crops that grow successfully are grass and trees, what are their alternatives?

What about sheep farmers in areas similar to where I live, that is, poor, rugged land where the only crops that grow successfully are grass and trees, what are their alternatives?

What about about growing Daffodils for an enzyme called Galantamine which is used to slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease? Apparently the drug is available on the NHS but the UK has to import a lot of it because not enough Daffodils are grown here for the medicinal market.

Seemingly the best places to grow the plants for this market are where the plants will be under stress due to cold, rainfall and lack of sunshine. A farmer in the hills of Wales was reportedly growing Daffodils and working with Aberystwyth University to develop the methodology further. It is said that the crop can be worth £10,000 per acre.

The Vegan Society's definition of veganism:

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

So is it exploitation to skin a naturally deceased cow to make shoes or meat for the table? Is it explotation to milk a cow that is lactating? Is it cruelty to let animals run wild without basic veterinarian care? Is it cruelty to let wild animals starve during a drought?

So it is not veganism to boast about how much more moral you are than the average human?

What about about growing Daffodils for an enzyme called Galantamine which is used to slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease? Apparently the drug is available on the NHS but the UK has to import a lot of it because not enough Daffodils are grown here for the medicinal market.

Seemingly the best places to grow the plants for this market are where the plants will be under stress due to cold, rainfall and lack of sunshine. A farmer in the hills of Wales was reportedly growing Daffodils and working with Aberystwyth University to develop the methodology further. It is said that the crop can be worth £10,000 per acre.

Does the university give extra credit to students who can correctly spell their name? ;)

Nice to know pretty flowers can have other great uses.

My favorite Welsh thing is leeks
The leek is, of course, the national emblem of Wales.

"Each year on St. David’s Day the leek is worn in the cap badges of every soldier in every Welsh regiment. Outside the army however, many other Welsh folk have substituted the daffodil for the leek, perhaps because it looks more attractive and certainly smells a lot better. Interesting to note however, that one of the many Welsh names for a daffodil is Cenhinen Bedr, or Peter’s leek."
The Leek - National Emblem of Wales and the Welsh

Status
Not open for further replies.