Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not full time Vegan but vegan for an entire day on a weekly basics. I know meat is delicious and it's only a fridge away but I decided to be a Vegan at least once a week. I've been down this path since my pre-teens years so it's already more than 6-7 years of accumulated Vegan time in my life so far.

I realized that are Health benefits as well as a little feel good factor about eating less meat to reduce my carbon footprint a little for the next gen! lol

I've been away from this thread for a while so apologise if I'm going over old ground (pun intended) with a question regarding vegan gardening, a method that is said to give you "clean, ethically produced crops that are safe to eat."

A vegan expert says "Animal manures used to help plants grow can be contaminated with infectious diseases such as E coli and listeria . . . manure-borne salmonella or campylobacter could make you ill."

A gardening expert tells us how to grow better vegatables: "When it comes to feeding the soil, cow manure just can't be beaten."

Now, I want to bite my potatoes - I don't want my potatoes to bite me! :eek:

So, my question is - who do I believe or is all just a load of bulls**t?

It's hard to say for certain. Many vegans believe that veganism is an evolutionary process, so by that logic it may be best to allow them to reproduce for a few generations until they inevitably become grass feeders at which point they would become most environmentally friendly and consuming them would also be environmentally friendly.
I've heard that it takes 250 millennia for DNA to change. That would be 10,000 generations. :geezer:

If you mean gene mixing via procreation, then yes. Well, human's chin shape and hair color change even in 1 generation. But DNA adaptation is a different matter.

Regularly in every generation of humans there are genetic mutations. Unfortunately almost all have very negative results. I know of one couple who have a son with a rather horrible defect that results in important parts of the brain not forming. It also appears to be a dominant gene so it had to be a mutation.

Mmm...the chances of environmentally friendly vegans ever finding their way onto the menu seem very remote

Well if you limit yourself to those past breeding age, the meat will probably be too tough. Guess I will stick to the more common sources.

Of course when you compare the energy required to deliver to me a locally raised meat source versus the distance and increased quantity of vegan foods, it seems meat is not just more economical per calorie but also uses less energy for production and delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.