Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13

Hi again Tix. I just checked on PCBWay and a repeat order for a minimum quantity of five PCBs will cost around $450US - these are large PCBs and are four-layer with a custom layer stack that is an important part of Marcel's design, hence the cost.

If you're still interested in this project I suggest you check out the first post, which contains lots of useful information - if you haven't already done so, of course.

Last edited:
I wonder whether the basket shares are time limited?.

Anyway, good to see you're picking this project up, I'm interested to hear about your results with the output arrangement you plan to use.

Will let you know how it goes. Yes, there could be a time limit. The original URL for the SMT parts cart worked okay; it was just the cart for the thru-hole components that wasn't.

Chances are that Eurocircuits is cheaper when you need only one PCB. They have no minimum order quantity and the stack-up needed for the main board of the valve DAC is their default stack-up. I just checked their online price calculator and found these values:

Euro 256.92 including VAT, raw-DSD version
Euro 328.74 including VAT, original version

For comparison, $ 450 is roughly euro 368.

Two PCBs for the raw-DSD version already cost euro 418.35 including VAT, euro 345.74 excluding VAT at Eurocircuits, and five cost euro 573.54 including VAT, euro 474 excluding VAT.

Last edited:
There is only a list of components and footprints in .csv format for the main PCB. It is hidden in the first of the two .zip archives on the Linear Audio site.

https://linearaudio.net/sites/linearaudio.net/files/ThevalveDAC_PCB_FPGA_files for web posting.zip

mainPCBfiles/mainPCB_pdf_csv/KiCadtop_BOM.csv

Mind you, the reconstruction filters are not included, only the connectors for the FPGA module are in the list and not the module itself, and the power supply transformer or transformers are also nowhere to be found.

Does it look like the attachment or do R66, R58, R60 and so on all get their own column?

It's semicolon separated rather than comma separated. If your Excel treats both commas and semicolons as field separators, then it becomes one big mess.

Attachments

• LibreOfficescreenshot.png
    LibreOfficescreenshot.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 182