• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

vacuum tube prototyping methods

I am interested in what you would recommend for small experiments, prototyping of ideas, and maybe just some tools in learning the basics of amplification using vacuum tubes. I know people actually still use real wood boards as the bread board. The Global Specialties PB series of breadboards are rated at 36V/1.5A max , so I guess would be suitable for 24V ideas. I would really like to know your favorite method or any ideas as it applies to my intended use, stated above.
Thanks for any help!

Alan

What I've found the most useful is "building block" PCBs. I have a largeish (40 by 50cm) backplane of FR4 with a grid of holes drilled in it, and several smaller boards that each break out the pins of various tube sockets. This allows me to quickly assemble prototypes by adding "blocks" by screwing them to the backplane as needed. Tubes are pricey, sockets and passive components are usually cheap.

See the first few posts here for examples of similar "blocks": https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/v4lve-lovers-free-gerbers-thread.359636/

For 7 and 9 pin stuff, I built this:
1662467232063.png

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
What I've found the most useful is "building block" PCBs. I have a largeish (40 by 50cm) backplane of FR4 with a grid of holes drilled in it, and several smaller boards that each break out the pins of various tube sockets. This allows me to quickly assemble prototypes by adding "blocks" by screwing them to the backplane as needed. Tubes are pricey, sockets and passive components are usually cheap.

See the first few posts here for examples of similar "blocks": https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/v4lve-lovers-free-gerbers-thread.359636/
Thank you very much, exactly what I was asking for. I happen to already be working on something similar but different using Belton sockets. Definitely looking for any other ideas. Thanks again!

I use my own design of prototyping boards 250x165mm (9.8x6.5"), FR-4 2mm thick, with universal pads, compatible with miniature noval B9A base (12AX7, 6N2P, ...), B7G heptal, octal (EL34, KT66, 6550, ...) and B8G loctal PCB-mounted sockets). Adjacent groups of holes on borderline connected together to make easy assembly of power rails. Having built 2 prototypes with cheap prototyping boards from eBay/Aliexpress, decided to make my own because cheap variants are too thin and flexible (only 1.5mm thickness), too small with a lot of wasted space for different socket types.
For smaller project use another board which is roughly 1/2 of this one.
Photo of work in progress attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6060.jpg
    IMG_6060.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 22-09-06 21-27-46 6440.jpg
    22-09-06 21-27-46 6440.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I use my own design of prototyping boards 250x165mm (9.8x6.5"), FR-4 2mm thick, with universal pads, compatible with miniature noval B9A base (12AX7, 6N2P, ...), B7G heptal, octal (EL34, KT66, 6550, ...) and B8G loctal PCB-mounted sockets). Adjacent groups of holes on borderline connected together to make easy assembly of power rails. Having built 2 prototypes with cheap prototyping boards from eBay/Aliexpress, decided to make my own because cheap variants are too thin and flexible (only 1.5mm thickness), too small with a lot of wasted space for different socket types.
For smaller project use another board which is roughly 1/2 of this one.
Photo of work in progress attached.
Very nice! where do you buy your sockets. I get mine from Tubedepot, but they don't have the Octal style I want.

The spring clips were made for insertion into the old Vector perf board with big holes. I just drill a tight hole in the wood board and push them in. Some old electronics kits provided a plastic panel with molded in holes that the spring clips could be pushed into. The Fahnestock clips are convenient to put under the corner mounting bolts of the tube proto socket boards, or just put a woodscrew thru them into the wood board. You can generally get several wires into either kind. There were also some electronic kits that had tube sockets mounted on a plastic ring with tall vertical pins ( Octal pin size ) around them, which some forked wire springs could be pushed onto.

Last edited: