Vacuum cleaners

Not sure how many of you boys do the vacuuming around your place but I am one of them. My wife is unable to so I'm the man. We had a Dirt Devil upright corded unit that we bought new 10 years ago. Because of my right side injuries, it was becoming quite the nuisance. We have laminate floors with lots of runner carpets and area rugs. Adjusting the roller brush height was an ongoing job.
I used the old vac for the last time and then ordered a Dyson cordless on Sunday as they are having the Black Friday week long sale. It arrived 2 days later and just for fun I decided to run it over the carpets that had been done 2 days prior.
I could not believe my eyes when I saw the amount of dust and dog hair that it picked up from recently vacuumed areas.
I am now a walking advert for the Dyson V10.
Okay, enough said. You guys don't really want to hear about vacuums anyway, unless of course were talking tubes. :)

It was $400 CAD, so about $300 'merican. It is going to make Cal's life a lot nicer. My little lion has a wee bit of hair and likes to share it.
For that price I'd expect it to do the laundry too
Another of Cal's duties (sometimes)

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I got a dyson cordless for my wife after her first C-section as carrying Henry up the stairs was a no no. It's convenient to just whip out and use, but for a proper clean the numatic comes out. It's a pain to empty the dust bowl the filter blocks and hair gets in the bearings on the head unit so needs taking apart every 6 months (wife has long lush Indian hair and moults like a labrador).

But I like my vacs to be able to pick up house bricks with their suction.

Bill used a lot of words I don't understand, but I think I got the gist. Has anyone used one of those robot vacuums, like Roomba?

BTW we have a Bissel clone of a Dyson, from before they got sued and stopped making them. MoFo weighs a ton but sucks like nobody's business. I gave it to my wife one birthday, she still can't decide how she feels about that.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
After several plain and fancy modern vacs, we are back to a 1950s Electrolux. It sucks good. Bags change cleanly and are incredibly cheap by the 100-box. Some parts are readily available. The self-winding cord reel is hard to score so I rigged a drum around the butt of the canister. We have a spare for other parts but the motor sparks bad. We keep our eyes open at yard sales because there were better models. Picture is of the model before or after what we have. My drum is a plastic imitation of the chrome-ring shown (the winder was an expensive option).

Attachments

• electrolux.jpg
    electrolux.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 316
I could not believe my eyes when I saw the amount of dust and dog hair that it picked up from recently vacuumed areas.
I've had 2 of those moments, one was when I upgraded from crappy old upright vacuum to newer one with more suction power, second was when I shampooed the carpet. I couldn't believe my eyes what came out of the carpet.

Since this is still part of audio forum, the audio aspect can't be skipped. Most vacuum cleaners are so #@&% loud! It makes it an unpleasant experience and as a consequence, it gets used less frequently than should be. There are only handful of them on the market that are little less noisy and Miele Canister vac is one of them, which is what gets used in my household. But their price is up there. I've noticed that Dyson rechargeable handheld vacs are little quieter as well and their price is also up there. :( For those willing to spend little more, those two are my recommendations.

We’ve been using a Dyson “Animal” corded canister (got it at a fair price through Kohl’s).
Had ours for about 8 years and it has held-up great so far.

We have all hard floors - mostly wood. But until recently we’ve also had between 2 and 4 dogs in the house (currently, just ONE). [We work with a Basset Hound Rescue group.]

Has anyone used one of those robot vacuums, like Roomba?
Yes. Ours was built before they solved the problems with vacuuming a 'busy' room. It is now 'gathering dust' :)
I've noticed that Dyson rechargeable handheld vacs are little quieter as well and their price is also up there.
Yes ours is many dB quieter than the dirt devil.
We’ve been using a Dyson “Animal”
Animal refers to the number of attachments, not the model. Is yours the one with the very large wheels? That was their first big break through and really put them on the map IIRC.

Oh that and the so called 'digital motor' hehe.

I've had a mk1 and mk2 Dyson upright for the best part of a decade, both bought recon.

They're great for carpet but on hard floors they tend to blow about more fluff than they suck.

I've been considering a handheld stick type for the hard floors and stairs, which are a royal pain to clean with the upright.

I too have an OH with what seems to be a constantly shedding winter coat, of many colours. This week she is somewhere between highlighter pink and baby pink, after her unsuccessful attempts at removing the pillar box red from then past couple of weeks.

Still, even cyber Monday deals arent that great for the Dyson stick thing. Maybe a Shark is worth considering.

IIRC the name “Animal” (usually accented with Purple plastic parts) referred to a series that was intended for Pet Owners. I don’t think that it was the NUMBER of accessories, but maybe some unique types of attachments.

Now, if you REALLY want to get ripped-off from a price point, you need to buy a Kirby. They’re still built like a Tank, but an ANTIQUE tank. Many people swear by them and their semi-legendary durability, but for what they cost, they darned well SHOULD last

IIRC the name “Animal” (usually accented with Purple plastic parts) ........................................

Now, if you REALLY want to get ripped-off from a price point, you need to buy a Kirby. They’re still built like a Tank, but an ANTIQUE tank. Many people swear by them and their semi-legendary durability, but for what they cost, they darned well SHOULD last

I used to have a Kirby - bought second hand at an auction for £25. (with a load of attachments)

I had it serviced a the local service centre for another £25.

It lasted 10 years until I sold it at a yard sale.

Yes, very heavy but hey ...could your Dyson blow up a football??

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill used a lot of words I don't understand,

Numatic make a range of domestic vacs with silly names and smily faces Henry is the popular one. Powerful and beatings proof. I only wish I had got the model with the beater brush. Although when I shared a flat with someone who had a corded dyson I was horrified at the amount of carpet fibres in the dust container. It was basically tearing the carpet up.

Oh and I also get horrified with the black water that comes out when I rent a carpet cleaner.

Attachments

• henry.jpg
    henry.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 304
I used to have a Kirby - bought second hand at an auction for £25. (with a load of attachments)

I had it serviced a the local service centre for another £25.

It lasted 10 years until I sold it at a yard sale.

Yes, very heavy but hey ...could your Dyson blow up a football??

Or paint? Or massage? I was a fool to myself when I bought a Kirby (second hand, £100, unbreakable!), as my wife said it's too heavy for her to use. She has never vacuumed since!